Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshield/Rider backrest

Go down 
+5
billc.
JeffR
jdeereanton
DennisB
Dale M
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dale M

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Windshield/Rider backrest Empty
PostSubject: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi, first post, Dale here. Have had a 09 Silverwing about a week. I'm not new to scooters though as I've had a Burgman 650 in the past. Probably would have bought another one but there aren't any close by and I've never owned a Silverwing. Surprised how smooth it is at 70.

First question... noticed from previous posts that a lot of owners have a Givi windshield. I see they are almost 25 inches tall. I'm 5' 10'.... will I be looking thru it or over the top. Had one on my Burgman and when it gets cool it was really appreciated.

2nd... probably going to put on a rider backrest like Utopia makes except their fairly expensive. Anything else out there??? Windshield/Rider backrest Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Dale,

Welcome to the forum and it's great to have you with us. Post some pictures of your scooter when you get a chance.

And again....Welcome aboard.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Dale M,

Welcome to the site.

Can't really answer your question about the GIVI wind screen. My guess is that you might have to cut one down if you purchase one. Why not ride with teh screen that came with the bike for a while and evaluate after riding for a bit?

As for seat backs for the rider -

Utopia is probably the best add on to the original seat. But I agree with you they are a bit pricey and you may have to wait unless they have SilverWing parts in stock.

There is this from rvtoys.net: http://www.rvtoys.net/motormate_002.htm Provides a pretty good alternative.

You can go the expensive route and get a Corbin (http://www.corbin.com/honda/hsw.shtml) or Russell Daylong (http://www.day-long.com/) Saddle with a back rest.

Or you could take it to a local shop and give them a whack at giving you something unique.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Dale,

I have the Givi, after having the XL Clearview with the vent, and I think I would have liked the Clearview a bit better if not for all the flexing. Only a couple of us had the flexing and I think they stopped selling the XL with the vent because of that. I am 6'0 tall with a long torso and I just barely looked over the top of the screen. But since the Givi pushes the air well over your head I decided to cut mine down about 1 1/2". It works good but I probably should only cut 3/4" to 1" off.

The Clearview seemed to offer a bit more protection, but not much. I also noticed that my mileage dropped a couple of mpg. The Clearview seemed to let the air flow smoother where the Givi stands straighter up and down. I still like the Givi alot and it is a very good shield. But you may have to trim an inch off or so if you get one, unless you ride with sometype of pad. I have an airhawk that I use on long rides.

For the backrest if you read what Dale posted I hear those are pretty good for a cheaper solution. But what I did that helps some is to remove your buttrest from the seat. You will see that there are 2 bolts on each side and what I did was raise the buttrest where the bottom hole on the buttrest will just be secured to the top hole on the bracket. Just tighten it good and it seems more comfortable. I have had it like this for at least a year and it is more comfortable and helps if you do use a seat pad of some sort.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 10:27 pm

I am 5'10" and I have the Givi Windshield. I have to look thru it, which is o.k. but I would ideally like to cut it down about 1.5". However my wife is a frequent passenger and I wonder if cutting the windshield down would expose her to much more buffeting? So at present I am o.k. with looking thru the shield.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 12:15 am

I also look through my GIVI. As long as it's clean there isn't a problem. For highway cruising it's infinitely better for me than the stock windshield. My wife also says there is way less buffeting for her than the stock shield. I have no intention of cutting it down so that I can see over it.
I feel that being fully behind the plastic allows greater protection from bugs, stones, etc. When I was in my early 20's, I was riding my Yamaha RT360 Enduro on a highway beside a marsh. Doing 60mph, a seagull flew across my path. The bird hit me square in the chest. I felt like I had been punched by a pro boxer. Thank goodness I had my wits about me and maintained control. I will never let a situation like that happen again. I am a big proponent of tall windshields.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 11:58 am

Re: the GIVI screen, you will be looking through it at 5'10" tall. It will be fine until you have to ride into the setting sun, at which point every scratch will become evident and you won't be able to see through it. I am 6' tall, and cut about two inches off the top, which might have been a little too much.

I would suggest the Laminar Lip (google it) attached to the stock screen. The stock screen will probably direct too much wind into your face, and the LL lifts the air over your head. The stock screen gives you a little more air on your arms (bugs too!) for the summer than the GIVI. After using both, I feel the GIVI gives you some handling quirks that are occasionally startling (mostly sudden gusts pushing you around).

You never know what is really going to work for you until you have bought everything out there, and eliminated some of them. Start spending.

Re: the backrest - check out this site for a cheap and very good solution

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/backrest/backrest.html

You can make the backrest any height that you want to suit your shape. I did one thing different - I drilled through the seat for the lower two screws and used a through bolt with a backing plate. This keeps the stock brackets from bending.

Hope these two ideas help.

If you ever care to give us your experience with the Burgman compared to your observations on the Silverwing, we would love to hear it.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 4:27 pm

buddy19520 wrote:
Re: the GIVI screen, you will be looking through it at 5'10" tall. It will be fine until you have to ride into the setting sun, at which point every scratch will become evident and you won't be able to see through it.

Been driving many times into the setting sun. No problems as I have no scratches. I am VERY careful about cleaning and polishing the lexan. This doesn't mean I will never get scratches, but I wouldn't replace the GIVI for the original unless, unless I don't know why I would.
I understand that scratches can be buffed out with very fine polishing compound and then a buffing of special windshield cleaner/protector like Plexus.

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dale M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dale M

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like looking thru the windshield but you never know how something like that will work unless someone tries it and gives their opinion. Also like the backrest idea with the brackets. Good idea. So far the backrest seems ok.

My 650 Burgman rode just like the Silverwing. One difference is that Power Button and you can really move if you have to but I rarely used it as it had plenty of power in the normal mode. The Burgman being a little heavier might tour better but I have a Goldwing trike for that. I did read a review that said the Silverwing being a little lighter is better for around town, short commutes and very good around parking lots.

My wife seems to send me to the store alot. I traded a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 for the Silverwing and even though its only about 600 lbs, its big. You carefully backed it out of the garage, you have to let it warm up a few minutes and its ok in parking lots but nothing like the Silverwing. And JeffR, thanks for the welcome and your suggestions. That was another question I had... flexing, but its already been answered. You guy's have done a lot of experimenting with the backrest which I'll try myself. Dale M
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 5:06 pm

There's a picture or two in my Album showing my Silverwing with Laminar Lip and Utopia backrest installed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 6:32 am

I cut 1.5 in off of my Givi after riding in fog one morning .It was impossible to see threw it . I don't know if it made any difference for the passenger as she didn't start riding until after I did it . It did not make any wind difference for me .
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 6:36 am

How does one cut the shield well? thanks dan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 8:39 am

First with a felt marker make a line parallel to the top of the windshield 1.5 in down .I used an adjustable T square,held the marker at the bottom and ran it along the top .Then I put masking tape on both sides of the tape so the saw can't scratch the wind shield . Lay the wind shield on a blanket and with a sharp new blade take a jig saw and cut it . Use an orbital sander to smooth out any high spots and round the edges (fine grit). I have cut three off of the bike
We tried a Gold wing on the bike and broke it . I know a guy that does them on the bike all the time and has never broke one .
It sure does make it easier to ride in the rain .
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 8:47 am

Excell's directions are accurate and to the point.

If you'd like to read a bit more see this link: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/remove_windshield/index.html
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 9:58 am

One tip I was given when using a jigsaw to make the cut:
Don't use to high a speed or the plastic will melt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshield/Rider backrest   Windshield/Rider backrest I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windshield/Rider backrest
Page 1 of 1