Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

windscreen upgrades??

Go down 
+7
Jinglebob
Mike from NS
transam86
exavid
john grinsel
JeffR_
Marcusm
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Marcusm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-09-14

windscreen upgrades?? Empty
PostSubject: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi guys.

Im an over 6ft rider and sometimes get buffeting issues. Is it worth shelling out for a givi airflow or oem windshield extenders?

Thanks

Marcus
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Marcus,

I'm 6' tall with with a taller torso and I found the Airflow to the be the best of the bunch. I had the stock shield, XL Clearview with vent, standard Givi, and the Airflow. The XL Clearview would have been very good but it flexed way too much for me. I'm not sure if they fixed that problem but if they did than that would be a very good screen.

But the Givi gave me an Airflow to do a review on it and I have it posted on this site.
Back to top Go down
Marcusm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if the add on spoilers and any good for oem screen?
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:59 pm

You can try the Laminar Lip to put on the stock screen:

http://www.laminarlip.com/silverwing.php

I used this on the Givi screen for the Majesty I had and it really helped out a lot.  I have a 23" Cee Bailey on my CTX700 and I also added the Laminar Lip and it has done a great job with buffeting and noise.  I sit high in the seat since I have a longer torso so I need things like this.  But since you are 6' tall I doubt the Laminar Lip will do you any good.  The stock screen is way to short for a 6'.  If don't want to spend so much you can get the standard Givi screen and cut it down to size.

Also, the Givi standard screen isn't too much more than the Laminar Lip so that would be the best bet really. Like I said, you can cut it down to be just right for you. The first time you cut it I would keep it a bit on the tall side so you don't cut too much off, and then go from there. But it is a very strong screen and you could probably even put a smaller vent on the Givi without getting the flex.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Add ons do nothing for SilverWing or other maxi scooters-----basic design of the scooters puts your nose too far from tip of shield---I have spent money on Laminar Lips several times!!......and on other windshields for SilverWing/Helix/Reflex/Burgman 400.

Best bet is Givi adjustable screen---works the best, allows look over and has good protection and min. buffeting
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 1:03 am

I liked the Givi Adjustable, stiff and solid at high speed even passing semi trucks on a windy day. Little or no buffeting on my helmet with it either. I wish they made one for the BMW 650GT scooter. The electrically operated windshield is nice but not quite as good.
Back to top Go down
Marcusm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks guys ill look into the givi abit more
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 10:54 am

Im 6-2 and i look through my givi shield and twisted throttle had the best price
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 12:36 pm

transam86 wrote:
Im 6-2 and i look through my givi shield and twisted throttle had the best price

Just remember there are 2 Givi screens, the Airflow and the standard Givi screen.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 6:58 pm

A friend and I were out riding our S'wings.  His has the Givi standard and mine the Honda stock windshield.  We switched bikes so I could experience the Givi effects.  WOW ... I was sold on moving to the larger windshield.  I was about to order the Givi standard from Twisted Throttle but found that it was on back order.  Too bad as it was $114 + shipping + tax.  Would have come in at about $165.  In questioning when it would be available I had a reply from A Vicious Cycle - A Twisted Throttle Company that it had been replaced with a different part number and a new price of $132 + shipping+tax which now comes in at $171. Don't really understand why a new number on the same product increases the price by $18.  Anyway this was still the best price as local dealers quoted me $196 and $202 for the same screen.  Despite the Airflow seeming to be the favored screen, I didn't want to spend any more than I needed and I really didn't want some adjustable handles in front of me  -- because I would forever be adjusting the screen for that "better" setting.  So now I wait ... and wait for the screen.  Being the end of the season I was told delivery might be 4 - 6 weeks.  I'm hoping for something better than that.  

Mike
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 7:37 pm

I changed the stock windshield out quite awhile ago for a Givi AirFlow and never looked back. The AirFlow is an excellent design. I am 5-11 and the AirFlow does not buffet at any speed I've ever ridden on the SWing.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 9:50 pm

I bought a Clearview standard height for my bike, which is just slightly taller (about an inch) than the stock one. I'm thoroughly happy with it and it provides more protection for the shoulders and arms in cold weather riding.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 9:43 am

Adding on Clearview---my experience with them on SilverWing and Kawasaki Concours (old Concours)----adding the GoldWing Vent does wonders killing buffeting up to about 65-70 mph. I look over,too.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm always amazed that people will ride Goldwings with the tall Tulsa windshield. Too many times riding in bad weather I've had windshields go opaque with mist, road spray, mud and even snow. Being able to look over the windshield provided the only forward vision I've had in those conditions.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 6:56 pm

exavid wrote:
I'm always amazed that people will ride Goldwings with the tall Tulsa windshield. Too many times riding in bad weather I've had windshields go opaque with mist, road spray, mud and even snow. Being able to look over the windshield provided the only forward vision I've had in those conditions.

Absolutely. I won't ride a motorcycle that I have to look thru the windscreen on. I like a nice blast of air on my helmet face shield to help keep it clear of water when riding in rain. And the vents on my helmet work good if it has good airflow to the helmet. My helmet has both cooling vents in the top above the face shield, and defroster vents on the chinpiece.
Back to top Go down
Tourezrick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2014-09-12

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 7:37 pm

On the topic of windshields, should you happen to lose one (or more) of those little rubber doohickeys that the windshield bolts go into, do not despair! I put too much pressure on the screwdriver while removing my windshield. Darn thing dropped into doohickey 'never never land'. Thought, "I'm screwed"! Couldn't get it to bounce out, but remembered purchasing something for the fairing on my recumbent tricycle called a "WELLNUT" at Lowes! Went to Lowes, and sure 'nuff, they carried a size small enough to work. Have to use a different bolt - a 10-24 which is no problem to find. What I had to do was thin out the shoulder with sandpaper - not hard to do. I figure that if Lowes carries "WELLNUTS", then Menards and Home Depot should, too. No need to go to the Honda store and hope they have them, or order on line.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 am

My take----buy your well nuts from bike shop-----metric dia. and metric screws. Them falling thru---common deal I keep a few on hand.
Back to top Go down
sfchock
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sfchock

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-05-05

PostSubject: Just recieved and installed Givi214dt   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 11:35 pm

I just received and installed the Givi214DT Screen Blade. I purchased it from Accessories International located in Miami Florida. The price was 99.90 less a 2% discount. The total worked out to be 97.90 free shipping and no tax. It took three weeks to arrive but was well worth it. The fit was perfect and as I sit on my saddle (5'9") which I have a gel seat with sheepskin cover my eye level is just over the top of the shield. I have a cast on my leg at the moment so I wasn't able to take the swing out for a ride, I was not pleased with the stock shield with a Laminar lip.
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 7:51 am

I'm just over 6ft also and spent a lot of time considering options. I decided that the best value for money was the Givi AirFlow screen. GET ONE! You won't regret it and it is easily fitted. For £100 it's the best modification I ever made to any of the bikes I ever owned!
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: windscreen upgrades??   windscreen upgrades?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

windscreen upgrades??
Page 1 of 1