Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Naked scooter or not?

Go down 
+4
jmaslak
model28a
Dimond
Deno070
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-06

Naked scooter or not? Empty
PostSubject: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi All:

My motorcycle repair shop charges $96 an hour plus parts. A few weeks ago I paid an arm and a leg for a $15 coolant hose. $208 for labor. For next time, what are your guys thoughts if I removed all the panels prior to the bringing the Swing to the repair shop. And yes, i would ride it up there. This would save me a few bucks.

- Denis
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Deno070 wrote:
Hi All:

My motorcycle repair shop charges $96 an hour plus parts. A few weeks ago I paid an arm and a leg for a $15 coolant hose. $208 for labor. For next time, what are your guys thoughts if I removed all the panels prior to the bringing the Swing to the repair shop. And yes, i would ride it up there. This would save me a few bucks.

- Denis

Three years ago I got my first SWing and my first repair at the service shop was replacing a $5 part - the bill was $100. So, my SWing has never seen the inside of a service dealer since - bought the tools, the manuals, etc and do all my service work (so far) myself (except for tire mounting/balancing which costs me $20 a wheel). IMHO, when doing the normal maintenance, the hardest part is often getting the plastic off (and getting it back on without breaking a tab somewhere). If you wish to save money, then DIY - as IMHO you are not going to save much overall if you remove the panels and letting the dealer deal with getting them back fitting properly would be worth it. I would be concerned about riding my SWing 'naked' with some panels removed as other panels may be over-stressed as they are meant to function as an integral interconnected unit.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:29 pm

My guess (only a guess) would be that the dealer would charge by the book. What I mean by that is they look in their estimate book and it tells them how many hours a job takes and then add the price of parts and that's the price charge you. If that's how they do it I doubt you would get credit for your work. I would buy a service manual and do your own work. If you're willing to remove the plastics I'd think you could do your own work.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:32 pm

I suspect the panels are also used to channel air flow through the radiator. So I'd definitely watch temperatures if you ride it without panels - you'll probably be fine, but I'd watch the temps.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:58 pm

I ride without panels.no harm except more drag and less mpg.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:28 am

I also think your savings will likely be zero unless you've got a VIP customer relationship with your dealer. Service departments, car and bike both, have a rate book that says for job abc that's x.x hours and they charge you that much regardless of how quickly (and supposedly also how slowly) they get it done.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 am

model28a wrote:
If you're willing to remove the plastics I'd think you could do your own work.    

I agree, taking the plastics off and reinstalling is the HARD part. Changing a hose is easy in most cases!
Back to top Go down
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the feedback. I really should learn how to do my own repairs. Very intimidating since I’m not mechanically inclined and really don’t have a spot to actually take it apart. Moving soon and will have a garage to lay out parts. I really need to get a service manual as well. Thank you all and ride safe!!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 6:12 pm

The hardest part of working on the SW is the CAREFUL removal of the tupperware. I can see a mechanic being extra cautious about the plastic. It all adds to their time for mechanical work that takes minutes to do.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 pm

When the ex wife and me were looking to buy our house I insisted on a garage and she insisted on a pool and big back yard. We bought a house with a big back yard a good size pool and a small garage. After we divorced I got rid of the pool, built a two car garage, moved everything from the little garage into the new garage and built another two car garage joined next to the other one and then added to the length of the two of them. Now I have a garage bigger than my house and a small back yard(less grass to cut) and I'm one happy man. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Naked scooter or not?   Naked scooter or not? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Naked scooter or not?
Page 1 of 1