Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat Gas Cylinder

Go down 
+8
GHM-PM
Dale N.
Cosmic_Jumper
falconguy
bigbird
exavid
hotwings
Chris Olson
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 7:44 pm

My gas spring on my seat got weak.  It won't hold the seat up when it's cold, but when it's warm from engine heat then it will hold the seat up.  So I cut a piece of aluminum channel that slips over the shaft on the cylinder to keep it up when I need it up.  I stow the "strut stop" in the tool tray when I'm not using it.

Seemed a little more elegant than using a stick like I've heard of some people doing.

Seat Gas Cylinder 100_4437
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 7:50 pm

I replaced my weak seat gas strut for $14 from ebay. Better than oem.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 1:20 am

I wish Honda had installed a spring loaded telescoping rod instead of a gas strut. Those things always lose pressure. I had to replace the one under the seat of my first Silverwing. I'm wondering how long my BMW 650GT's under seat strut will hold up.
Back to top Go down

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 am

I put one of those "butt rest to back rest" conversions on my seat recently. Would the normal replacement strut work (mine is totally dead) or would I need one that is stronger?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:05 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
I put one of those "butt rest to back rest" conversions on my seat recently. Would the normal replacement strut work (mine is totally dead) or would I need one that is stronger?

I have that same butt to back rest conversion, using the stock gas cylinder, and it works just fine.
However, that stronger eBay replacement is still a lot cheaper than the OEM cylinder, so why not go with the eBay unit?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 5:07 pm

I wouldn't go too much stronger with a replacement gas cylinder, it could cause something to bend. The OEM strut has plenty of push when it's in good condition.
Back to top Go down
falconguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-12-02

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: I can't find a strut that looks like it would work on Ebay. Do you have a p/n or key words I could use?   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 10:51 am

hotwings wrote:
I replaced my weak seat gas strut for $14 from ebay. Better than oem.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Try-    11" gas strut.   Just checked its $12.03 with free shipping. 33lbs of lift. (Im pretty sure its a 11" strut required, i would check but my swing is sleeping under cover, obviously check your opened strut measure before ordering). I did a step by step post here somewhere with pics on replacing.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 6:04 pm

Here is a link to the one I got. It works sooo much better than then OEM strut and it only cost ~$15 with free shipping too. HTH

http://www.sourcingmap.com/20kg-force-gas-strut-shock-spring-lift-support-rod-114-p-158286.html

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks for the link Cosmic_Jumper. I just ordered one for $13.49 with free shipping. It said there's only 6 left which leaves 5 now that I got mine.

Update 12-25-14

I got my seat gas shock from NewSourcingMap yesterday and installed it last night. It worked great last night but seemed a bit strong. The seat was also hard to get latched.

My problem was "solved" today when I got back from my son's and dinner. I opened the seat to check the gas shock and opened the seat all the way open and let go of it. It came crashing down like there was no shock on it at all. Oh Well. Lesson learned. I just ordered an OEM shock from Bike Bandit and will install that one when it comes.

Last edited by Dale N. on Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Just checked the link and only 3 left now...So if you need one better hurry! Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 5:58 pm

I finally needed one of these! 4 years and mine is having problems. I clicked on the link above and it still worked! Price now was $14.66 USD with free shipping. We shall see!!! Ordered and it should arrive in 7-10 days.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 8:06 am

Glenn,  Congratulations !

You must have gotten the last one.  LOL !!  They show a "Sold Out" notification now.  I keep meaning to look into the struts that Princess Auto have.  They look to be a good fit.

Mike
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2019 8:34 pm

This is an old topic, with many different posts, and many great ideas for this problematic seat damper/cylinder/support. But before you go ahead with many of these good ideas, you might want to try this potential remedy first. I have a 2012 Swing whose seat support finally gave out with the oncoming colder weather this year. Realizing that piston air guns require frequent oiling to keep their pistons sealed, I tried this idea. I propped my seat up and first sprayed some silicone spray on the support, allowing it to drip down into the piston tube. Thinking that the silicone might not be thick enough, I also dripped (more like dribbled) some 3-in-one oil down the same shaft. I let the scoot sit for several days in the up position. Checking it out before a ride, I realized that after a few ups and downs of the seat, I found that the piston is working fine again.

I don't know how long this will last, but it has been about 3 months so far with the piston still working ok. Maybe that factory piston is just asking for a little oil refresher occasionally. No guarantees here, but maybe some others out there can add to this idea. Not sure whether the silicone or 3-in-1 worked, but I'm thinking the 3-in-1 with its thicker viscosity (about SAE 20) would work a little longer. If you don't have 3-in-1, I'm sure an SAE 10, 20, or 30 might work, or whatever will drip down into that piston. It's worth trying before ordering and installing a new support.

Just make sure when you prop open your seat, you remove the seat bulb or disconnect the battery until you are finished dripping.

I'll get back to this post if this idea doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2019 6:46 am

Good idea. Buy oiling, kept mine working thru 2 new SilverWings and over 90,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2019 7:24 am

Good solution for sure. My 14 dollar one from the site above is still working so if you don't want to try the oil trick:

http://www.sourcingmap.com/20kg-force-gas-strut-shock-spring-lift-support-114-inch-for-car-p-158286.html

It says there are 30 left now at $14.33 USD.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2019 8:02 pm

I've been using above seat strut for 3 years now and no problems. It's a bit strong and have a little problem latching seat also but better than seat falling. Added a backrest making OE strut weak. I needed to drill lower part to fit mount pin bushing correctly.

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Oh... seat gas CYLINDER. Embarassed

I misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Seat Gas Cylinder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Gas Cylinder   Seat Gas Cylinder I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat Gas Cylinder
Page 1 of 1