Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Tires on my SWing

Go down 
+11
cotetoi
lynnpstl
masscoot
Cosmic_Jumper
DickO
model28a
JeffR_
bigbird
hotwings
LDB
Dale N.
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

New Tires on my SWing Empty
PostSubject: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Yesterday 7-26-14 I mounted my new tires on my SWing. I also put a bottle of Ride-On in both of them. The tires are Perilli Diablo tires and with the Ride-On in them they roll down the road very nicely. Time will tell how long they last but they don't have fine weather cracks in the sidewall like the ones that came with it. I ordered them from Motorcycle Superstore for $131.95 for both with free shipping.

As I mentioned before I got my Wing from my sister in FL. It had been sitting under a tarp for two years. The battery was stone dead and wouldn't take a charge so I bought a new one and put it in.

I also changed the oil and filter so I'm pretty much good to go for a few thousand miles.  Smile
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 1:18 pm

Now you just need to be enjoying it and having fun.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Dale, money wise you did better than i did! A couple weeks ago i got two Michelin power pure tires installed for around $350CAD. and thats me taking the wheels off the swing and bringing them to the bike shop. Im very happy with my new tires, time will tell how long they will last. The front tire i replaced was the original on my 05, manufactured in 04, 21000klm, i explained this to my wife and she refused to be my pillion till the tires were replaced. The guy at the tire shop said the old tires were still in decent shape so i kept them for spares.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 5:01 pm

I've also got a set of Pirelli Diablo's sitting in my basement waiting. My stock Hoops are not quite ready for replacement. I also got my Diablo's from Motorcycle Superstore, but I had them shipped to a parcel service at the US border, where I picked them up last year. The set of tires was $110 shipped, and I didn't have to pay any duties or taxes. I also will bring the wheels and tires to a shop. Most shops here will charge stupid install prices if you don't buy your tires from them, but there's a few independent (non-dealer) shops that should do them for $20-$25 apiece in the Fall or winter when things are slow. I'll balance them myself with this:

http://www.marcparnes.com/Honda_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 5:12 pm

I had the Pirelli's and Metzler's after the stock Hoops and thought they were both far better handling than the Hoops. I got 9,000 miles on them and 10,000 miles on the Hoops. But if I still had the SWing I would chose those 2 tires over the Hoops. This is just my opinion from having them all and I'm sure others will think differently.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Dale was the $131.95 for just the tires or did that include the Ride-On also? If you bought the Ride-On separate, how much and where?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 11:39 pm

model28a wrote:
Dale was the $131.95 for just the tires or did that include the Ride-On also? If you bought the Ride-On separate, how much and where?

Just for the tires. The Ride-On was $38 extra and bought it from Ride-On at http://tinyurl.com/7gegffj .And from what the Ride-On site says the formula for ATV's or other vehicles can't be used in motorcycle tires because it's a different formula.

I should also mention that it cost $75 to get both tires mounted. So that does up the total price a bit but still not bad.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Thank you Dale. One more question, did they balance your tires or did they leave that up to the Ride-On?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 6:17 pm

model28a wrote:
Thank you Dale. One more question, did they balance your tires or did they leave that up to the Ride-On?

The balancing was included in the price of mounting so I had them do it. I figured this would start me out ahead of the game. I was paying for it anyhow so...

I added the Ride-On after I got the tires home and before I mounted them onto the Wing.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi All,
Just a note... I had Diablo's installed some 5200 miles back. The front is still in great condition but the rear is now missing its center tread (which concerns me). Side tread looks pretty good. I'm a very "light" rider in that I mostly ride on occasional Patriot Guard / American Legion funeral missions (generally straight line moderate-to-higher speed interstates and highways) and occasional 'fun' rides for food (150 to 200 mile round trippers). Don't do much, if any, "canyon carving". Anyway, just some info you can peruse.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 12:25 pm

DickO wrote:
Hi All,
Just a note... I had Diablo's installed some 5200 miles back.  The front is still in great condition but the rear is now missing its center tread (which concerns me).  Side tread looks pretty good.  I'm a very "light" rider in that I mostly ride on occasional Patriot Guard / American Legion funeral missions (generally straight line moderate-to-higher speed interstates and highways) and occasional 'fun' rides for food (150 to 200 mile round trippers).  Don't do much, if any, "canyon carving".  Anyway, just some info you can peruse.

That "straight line, moderate-to-higher speed interstate..." riding seems to be the text book scenario for rapid center tread wear.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 10:12 pm

I really want to try the Diablos', but this time opted for the Michelin Power Pure SC.  I have just under 200 miles on them, not enough miles to make any review good or not so good.  I will say that turning in and out feels different;they have a faster response.  The Metzelers gave me over 9000 miles of wear.

Motorcycle Superstore was great, $136 for the pair and on my doorstep in three days w/free shipping.  I brought my wheels to a local shop and paid $60 to mount and balance the pair. I will post more after I have at least 1000 miles of dry and wet miles.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 pm

DickO wrote:
Hi All,
Just a note... I had Diablo's installed some 5200 miles back.  The front is still in great condition but the rear is now missing its center tread (which concerns me).  Side tread looks pretty good.  I'm a very "light" rider in that I mostly ride on occasional Patriot Guard / American Legion funeral missions (generally straight line moderate-to-higher speed interstates and highways) and occasional 'fun' rides for food (150 to 200 mile round trippers).  Don't do much, if any, "canyon carving".  Anyway, just some info you can peruse.

Hey Dick,

How are things going?  I read your post about only 5200 miles and and was wondering if you check your pressure often?  Mine lasted about 9,000 miles for each set and I still could have gotten another 1,000 miles easily.  Hope you don't take my question wrong?  But I do know that some people don't get good mileage and they checked their pressure more than I did.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi JeffR,
No, I didn't take your message wrong.  I can always use added info.  Generally, as a rule (and there are times I haven't), I keep tabs on the tire pressures and make sure they are at the data plate limits, ie, 29/36 (?); or at least within a pound or two.  

That's why I was a bit concerned with the wear in the middle. I figure "Cosmic's" comments are pretty much correct but still, my old "IRC's" fared much better with even 3000 more miles on them with the same driving style.
Back to top Go down
lynnpstl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-01-14

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 5:33 pm

What is a bottle of Ride On? I have been balancing my tires with Dynabeads since I only got 8000 miles out of my first set of tires. I now get 14000 to 16000 out of a set of standard Dunlop tires, and have a superbly smooth ride. I now have 73000 miles on my 2007 Swing. Lynn
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 6:12 pm

lynnpstl wrote:
What is a bottle of Ride On?  I have been balancing my tires with Dynabeads since I only got 8000 miles out of my first set of tires.  I now get 14000 to 16000 out of a set of standard Dunlop tires, and have a superbly smooth ride.  I now have 73000 miles on my 2007 Swing.  Lynn

Hi lynnpstl,
The Ride-On is a "Goop" you put into the tires, one bottle for each tire, and it balances and seals the tires from nail punctures while you ride. They say it will last the life of the tire.

You can check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/7gegffj which is where I bought mine. I think they are 12 ounce bottles and come with a tube that fits onto the bottle and the tire valve. It also comes with a valve cap that is used to remove the valve core before you squeeze the Ride-On into the tire. It says to give a couple of short shots of air to clean out the valve stem after you put the Ride-On in, then put the valve core back in and pump the tire up to recommended pressure.

Once that's all done they say to take it for a 3-5 mile ride to distribute the Ride-On in the tire. I figure 3-5 miles is hardly a ride so I took mine out for about 50 or so miles. The tires rode smooth so I guess it works. It also doesn't settle back down to the bottom of the tires when you park it either.

I hope this long winded explanation helps.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Who is "lynnpstl"? It seems that, we, the group, haven't been extended the courtesy of an introduction on the Introductions page.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Who is "lynnpstl"? It seems that, we, the group, haven't been extended the courtesy of an introduction on the Introductions page.

Tim

I just sent Lynn a PM asking for an introduction.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 9:17 am

I got new Metzlers on mine on June 23. So far working fine. Tread wear is even on both front and rear. I've put about 3000 km on them. I added 2 psi more than the guidelines: don't ask me why. Seems to be working out for me.
Back to top Go down
Col the Brummie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 2:54 am

Having ridden hyper sports bikes for some years, I was used to replacing rear tyres every 2000 miles or so and fronts every 4000. To get 10,000 miles out of a rear tyre on a scooter seems like a dream come true.

My Piaggio X9, like all X9s could never get a good seal on the rear and so to avoid checking and adding air every couple of weeks I would inflate it to about 45-50psi. Much to the alarm of fellow riders. I once toured Ireland on a Honda Blackbird with a punctured rear. at every petrol station I inflated it about 80-90 psi to get me through the day. My touring friends stood well clear whilst I did this and never rode to close to me either.

Having only owned the SW for a few days I have yet to see how the tyres perform, better than than my GSXR1000 I hope.

Kind regards.......Col
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 3:04 am

So you've had a couple of sports bike then.
Back to top Go down
bjkaraoke
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-03-08

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 8:19 am

masscoot wrote:
I really want to try the Diablos', but this time opted for the Michelin Power Pure SC.  I have just under 200 miles on them, not enough miles to make any review good or not so good.  I will say that turning in and out feels different;they have a faster response.  The Metzelers gave me over 9000 miles of wear.

Motorcycle Superstore was great, $136 for the pair and on my doorstep in three days w/free shipping.  I brought my wheels to a local shop and paid $60 to mount and balance the pair.  I will post more after I have at least 1000 miles of dry and wet miles.
I put a pair of Michelin Power Pure SC on my 04 Wing around Mothers Day.  I have put a little over 6000 miles on them and the Rear is very close to the wear indicator but the front is still almost like new.  About all my miles were hiway or freeway speeds. I had no problem with them even in pouring rain. Held the road very well
Back to top Go down
red99ryder
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-10-31

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 11:33 am

bjkaraoke wrote:
masscoot wrote:

Motorcycle Superstore was great, $136 for the pair and on my doorstep in three days w/free shipping.  I brought my wheels to a local shop and paid $60 to mount and balance the pair.  I will post more after I have at least 1000 miles of dry and wet miles.
I put a pair of Michelin Power Pure SC on my 04 Wing around Mothers Day.  I have put a little over 6000 miles on them and the Rear is very close to the wear indicator but the front is still almost like new.  About all my miles were hiway or freeway speeds.  I had no problem with them even in pouring rain.  Held the road very well

Glad to read good review on this tire , I had read some not so good ones on other forums . I have a set coming for my new to me swing .

You can tell us new guys we will reply to anything to get our post count up LOL
red
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tires on my SWing   New Tires on my SWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Tires on my SWing
Page 1 of 1