Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Intermittent strong gas smell

Go down 
+4
MikeO
"Hi Yo"
bigbird
Staunkfinger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Staunkfinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-02-16

Intermittent strong gas smell Empty
PostSubject: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:34 pm

I have a new 2013 Silverwing, about 3k miles. It's happened about three times when driving, a super strong gas smell after stopping at a lite. No drips but it is scary, raw fuel and a hot engine. It's comming from the scooter and not a nearby car each time. Thank you for any ideas.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Warranty?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Intermittent strong gas smell 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 am

Is there any spillage when you fill up? The gas (petrol) can get trapped around the filler neck if so. If it only happened two or three times in 3000 miles, I would look for the simple causes first. And as Bigbird asked, is it under warranty? At least make the dealer aware of the problem.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am

My other Silverwing used to stink of petrol when I'd just switched it off and parked it on the drive or in the garage. The dealer did check it out very thoroughly - it was just the same after I'd ridden it into his workshop - and found nothing so in the end we put it down to 'one of those things'.
I reckon if yours is thoroughly checked and no fault is found you'll be in the same position as me.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 10:36 am

Open the gas cap as soon as you stop. If there is a 'whooshing' noise from air either escaping from or entering back into the tank then there may be a problem with the venting system.

Hopefully too the fuel isn't 'boiling' in the tank which would indicate that the insulation between the tank and the engine or between the radiator and the tank is missing and the fuel/tank has become a heat sink.

Tim
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm

I just filled a few minutes ago. The rubber sealing ring wasn't on one of the accordion sleeves so it didn't go around the filler neck. As I filled gas would sprinkle out to the area beneath the filler that is covered when the flap is closed. I filled very slowly but even so there was a little bit of spotting. It evaporated quickly but I noticed there was a slight odor. If I'd filled with the pump on fast flow I imagine it would have been much greater. Perhaps that is part of the problem at times.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:41 pm

There are times when you will have fuel odors on your S/W and its going to be a normal
operation, dealer gagarin .Unlike the Burgman 650 the S/W does not have a closed fuel system but vents to the  EVAP charcoal canister.If you have pressure in the tank there is a problem.With the Burgam you will have pressure at times and this normal.Flumes from the S/W tank will go to the EVAP canister (which is vented to atmosphere) and be drawn out by the program in the ECM system.   Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Have you overfilled the tank?
If you fill it up into the neck fuel will run back out the overflow and down on the ground, BUT,  
It can also run back into the EVAP (charcoal) canister weting the charcoal. This can, if done too many times, cause particles to backflow into the throttle bodies and cylinders causing engine problems. If the charcoal is saturated the fuel vapors will purge to the atmosphere for a few hundred miles, hence the fuel odor.
If you want to check the vent and drain they are located on the right side of the bike forward of the engine oil fill plug. The liquid drain is a small black tube that protrudes thru the lower body skirt. The vent is a larger tube about an inch above and behind the skirt.
Check out the illustration on page 1-36 of the service manual and my gibberish will make perfect sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent strong gas smell   Intermittent strong gas smell I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intermittent strong gas smell
Page 1 of 1