Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dropped the Swing

Go down 
+14
GHM-PM
Tn Traveler
Pastor Ron
bikehiker
john grinsel
Osprey
WingMan02
sctr199
bigbird
Old Limey
The Scootist
Mike from NS
model28a
cotetoi
18 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 7:33 pm

I parked the bike on the centrestand on a busy city street. I was a bit concerned about the slight slope on my right, my sidestand was almost upright. But the centrestand was firmly planted and I went about my business.
It took a bit of muscle to get it off again, and as soon as it came off it was moving away from me: not a darn thing I could do about it. Sustained some crushing on the corner of the front fairing and a few scratches. Got some help from a strapping young fellow who happened to be walking by. No mechanical harm done, started right up and rode like a champ. The rattle in the front is slightly louder and I will check for internal broken tabs when I have other reasons to remove the fairing. I went on a 250 mile ride yesterday, no concerns.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 7:54 pm

I would never take my scooter off the centerstand unless I'm straddling it or sitting on the scooter.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Sorry to hear of that problem cotetoi.  When she starts to go it can be overpowering.  Do you sit on the Swing and rock it forward off the stand? Or stand and push it off with your foot against the center stand?
I gave up the second method as I have had some close calls that way.  With the rocking off the stand I am in better position to steady right away with feet and brake levers.
Mike
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Sorry to hear that. Lessons learned...
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 2:34 pm

With model 28a on this,always sat on the bike when taking off centre stand. Smile
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 pm

I have never taken it off the centrestand sitting on it or straddling it. I have to try this method and get comfortable doing it because it makes sense that you'd have better control with both feet planted solid.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 10:17 pm

cotetoi wrote:
I have never taken it off the centrestand sitting on it or straddling it. I have to try this method and get comfortable doing it because it makes sense that you'd have better control with both feet planted solid.

I would never think of pushing my bike off the centre stand if I was not straddling the seat with my feet firmly planted on the ground. Doing otherwise would invite disaster.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:46 pm

I straddle my Swing then push on the bars to roll it off the center stand. As it begins to go, I grab the front brake while keeping the forks straight. This gets to be a bigger chore if parked on a slope, so I avoid that whenever possible.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:49 pm

cotetoi wrote:

I also apply both hand brakes as soon as I hear the center stand retracting against to bottom of my bike. That way it will stop the forward momentum when the bike hits the ground.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Is there a reason for using the center stand when out and about? I've been using just the side stand. Can't imagine putting it up on center stand all the time. Too much of a workout for me. Figure best use is for maintainence work etc..

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 4:04 am

I always use centre stand, only use side stand to dismount. I do not trust side stand and bike can be knocked over simply by pushing it forward.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 6:11 am

I used sidestand as steady getting off. Then look at pavement/ground surface before deciding whether to use centerstand or not.

Parking brake use: bike left on side stand, always parking brake on. CenterStand used, not good idea to use parking brake as when bike comes off stand rear wheel locked and bike will not roll forward.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 8:05 am

Sorry to hear, cotetoi. Not many of us have the courage to help others with examples at our own expense. Your story is valuable to all of us, whether we admit it or not.

Seems best method is to assess slope and stiffness of terrain, as you did. Center stand often appears to be the more stable way to go, but in proper position the side stand WITH PARKING BRAKE ON offers a wider geometric three-point stance to help ensure stability. Sometimes wind also enters as a factor to assess correct positioning.

My 450 Nighthawk was easy to straddle while PUTTING ON OR OFF center stand. Because SWing is so heavy and bulky, I always fear losing control while jacking up on center stand, but taking off center stand is easy because I always straddle.

And I guess by now we center stand owners know that it's really easy to put bike up on center stand on a mild backward slope, but getting it off the center stand uphill...well.... And how do we already know this?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 am

Thinking here---probably anybody who rides SilverWing for any length of time has dropped it. Right?
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 2:32 pm

I belong to the thinking....you are either one who has dropped it or going to. Until you trike it.
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-06-17

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 7:09 pm

I've had 4 scooters - all 4 have been on me.
200 aprilla ended up with giving me a twisted
ankle, sprained knee, and a cracked rib & that
was the first ride.
I got a saying "if you're gonna be stupid you
better be tough"
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 7:48 pm

I use the center stand predominantly. In my opinion the side stand is too short and scoot is not as secure on it as other bikes I have owned. If I need to use side stand on dirt I have a metal plate to place under the foot to widen contact patch and give a bit more height. Also I only use the parking brake with the sidestand...
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Two kinds of riders, those whose machines have fallen over and those who will.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2018 9:33 am

I love my 3 wheel Trike. chickendance
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 am

I follow John G's procedure more or less.
When I'm about to alight I put both feet down, deploy the side-stand, tilt the bike until the stand grounds then get off.
I usually follow up by putting the bike on the centre-stand but leave the side-stand down until it's settled.

I dropped my previous Silverwing in a ford and was trapped under it - got rather wet - and dropped the Crowman when I was pushed off it by a car who had trickled through a red light.
Little damage but huge bruise on my inner thigh caused by the 'horn' of the seat.
Thank goodness for step-through scooters!
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 3:07 am

I brought a roll of black 20mm plastic car trim and fitted it to the vulnerable edge of the lower panel, ready for the day I drop it.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Dave Weller wrote:
I brought a roll of black 20mm plastic car trim and fitted it to the vulnerable edge of the lower panel, ready for the day I drop it.  

SMART! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dropped the Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped the Swing   Dropped the Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dropped the Swing
Page 1 of 1