Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rollers or sliders needed or not?

Go down 
+6
Old Limey
Greysilver
RickV
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
GHM-PM
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Rollers or sliders needed or not? Empty
PostSubject: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 am

Just curious, for those with more miles on their SW than me. When it came time to replace the CVT belt what kind of shape were your rollers in? Did they need replacement? I know lots swap to sliders at this point, my question is was it NECESSARY? Some friends tell me that they swap out their rollers at 2nd belt change.

I know we are not talking a huge expense, but it would be nice to save a few bucks and replace at 2nd change. I might swap to sliders also but am not unhappy with stock rollers either.

Thanks for any feedback.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 9:16 am

My first SilverWing, just changed belt---it new or after belt change was never smooth in power take up---present 2013 left over---planning on belt/rollers/sliders at Honda recommended miles---all stock parts. At 11,000 miles my latest SilverWing has been smooth for the most part.

Once everything is apart/cleaned, I see rollers/sliders as little added expense. I want to enjoy my bike as Honda designed it.

After now over 300,000 rubber band drive miles---Honda/Suzuki/Daelim---I view the drive (belt, etc) as weakest link and expensive if you ride a lot.

I Order spare belt/rollers/sliders this week----trouble underway Dealers will never have parts in stock.

Strange in Korea---Dealim 125 in Heavy Commercial use do not have belt/clutch issues---leading me to believe 125cc I about power limit for this drive method--had 4 Helix--clutch issues on three of the 4, one broken belt with in service limit, of 2 new Burgman 400's---one had at 20,000 miles required complete re-build of drive system--pulleys/bearing(outer)/belt----thankfully Suzuki paid under warranty--would have been big bill for me otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 11:13 am

No, you don't need to change your OEM rollers for sliders. You replace the rollers when they get flat spots. So when you change the belt clean the rollers and test them on a flat surface to see if they are still round.

However, if you enjoy riding your SW, expect to enjoy it for a few years, and if you enjoy its performance, then you'll probably want to consider upgrading to sliders. You'll enjoy your SW a lot more.

But if you appreciate your SW more as an appliance or tool to be used when needed for local riding, etc, then there is nothing wrong with staying with the OEM rollers.

Hey that works for our, illustrious, Mr Grinsel.

Tim
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Somewhere in the May/June 2012 time frame, I decided to install 26g Dr. Pulley sliders - mileage at the time was about 16k with the belt having been replaced at 12k. Upon pulling apart the variator, I discovered my rollers needed replacing and so did both the variator halves - see pics in my album.

It appeared some grit or other foreign substance got inside the variator and caused the damage shown in the pics - probably not the normal situation.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Question   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 1:44 pm

What is the difference between a roller and a slider? If a person changes from one to the other how does changing weight affect the Wings performance?

Last edited by Greysilver on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 1:59 pm

According to the leaflet you get from Dr Pulley when you buy your sliders. The slight angle on the slider that pushes against the plate allows faster acceleration and improved economy. As for the weights, Bigbird did some experimenting with the different ones that are available. I followed Bigbirds advice and noticed immediate results regarding acceleration. Dr pulley also claim that sliders should last three times longer than rollers. Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Old Limey wrote:
According to the leaflet you get from Dr Pulley when you buy your sliders. The slight angle on the slider that pushes against the plate allows faster acceleration and improved economy. As for the weights, Bigbird did some experimenting with the different ones that are available. I followed Bigbirds advice and noticed immediate results regarding acceleration. Dr pulley also claim that sliders should last three times longer than rollers. Smile

I can't argue with the above but aren't the OEM rollers steel and the sliders made of plastic? Seems to me that the plastic would wear faster not slower... Or am I missing something?  Question 
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Shortly after my 1st belt change I replaced my rollers with Dr. Pulley sliders (26g) at 20K miles. They produced significant performance in take off speed and the 30-45 mph power band is smoothed (bogging eliminated).  Worth the money for me.  They do shave a little off the top end speed but not by much.  If you are doing any two-up riding they are the way to go.  I now have just over 43K miles.

They are made of a Proprietary Self-lubricated PA46 composite.

http://www.unionmaterial.com/rollerweight6.htm
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 5:13 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
aren't the OEM rollers steel and the sliders made of plastic?  
Or am I missing something?   Question 

You have definitely missed something. (the boat?  ha-ha)

The rollers have a steel core encased with some kind of thermoplastic/resin/bird dropping muck.
As stated above, the sliders use what looks like a brass core surrounded by some kind of special Dr. Pulley concoction.

Last edited by bigbird on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 6:37 pm

I installed 28g sliders shortly after purchasing my leftover 2012 Swing. The sliders resulted in smoother take-offs from a stop and lowered cruising RPMs by about 400-500 at highway speeds.
Before buying the sliders, I read as many posts as I could find and my results were similar to just about everybody else's.

I had also put them in my 2007 Majesty which dramatically improved acceleration from a stop as well.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 6:47 pm

I do more than local riding....my new leftover SilverWing, on road end of Jan 14 has been in 30 states so far this year.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Very possibly, I will install sliders when my belt change is due. Now, what do the gram weights accomplish? Thank you in advance.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Rollers or sliders needed or not? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:21 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I do more than local riding....my new leftover SilverWing, on road end of Jan 14 has been in 30 states so far this year.
Careful John! If you sprain your arm patting yourself on the back, you might not reach those other states.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:29 pm

I have already ridden in them in years past---just doing it again as Chattanooga is very boring living!!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or sliders needed or not?   Rollers or sliders needed or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 pm

I just finished cleaning the variator, ramp plate, and sliders on a friend's Swing. He had about 10k km of use on the sliders. Zero wear on the sliders and there was very little sign of belt rub on the outer case and his belt case air filter was still quite clean. Any Swing I have worked on with stock rollers would have had a mess of belt dust in the filter and all over the rollers and cavities in the ramp plate. So there you go. Right from the horse's mouth.    

deadhorse
Back to top Go down

Rollers or sliders needed or not?
Page 1 of 1