Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

At what mileage did you change your belt?

Go down 
+7
Old Limey
GHM-PM
Greysilver
model28a
"Hi Yo"
john grinsel
canhead
11 posters
AuthorMessage
canhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-06-26

aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? Empty
PostSubject: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 9:39 am

Yes!  I know the book says to change the belt at 16,000.   I now have 22,000+ miles and when I removed the belt cover found the belt had little deterioration with almost not dust.  Am curious to know at what mileage did you change your belt?  And, for any who may have unfortunately had their belt break, at what mileage did that happen?   Am planning a 1,000 mile trip in August and would hate to have any problems!
Thanks for any input you may have!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 10:13 am

Put new belt on at Honda recommended mileage---especially if you bike is not new. In over now 300,000 rubber band drive scooter miles----I broke one belt underway at near the limit of Honda recommended change time--Helix, I carried spare belt and change was easy on Helix. And on my way.

SilverWing a little more complicated for roadside change.

Have trouble underway---Dealers will not have belt in stock!! Delays waiting for parts can be expensive.

My new/leftover 2013 SilverWing has passed 10,000 miles----now time for me to carry spare belt/rollers/sliders.

I can get 20,000 miles from belt---but from safety standpoint is it worth if?? Throttle can get you out of a lot of dangerous situations---broken belt in fast lane when you are trying to get out of somebody's way=dangerous/deadly
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 11:46 am

Good advice John. Of course one can carry comfortable walking shoes if they want to gamble with the life of the belt.  No 
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 4:23 pm

canhead, you don't give the year of your Silverwing. The age of the belt can also make a difference in when the belt should be changed. Did you measure the belt ? The service manual tells you the low limit that the belt should be changed also. The belts aren't cheap but I think they are cheap enough that I like to change them if I feel it is close to the end of it's life. I just bought a 2007 Silverwing that I will only use for local rides until I put a new belt on it. I also have a 2008 Silverwing I can use for long rides until my 07 gets new tires and belt. Rubber will deteriorate with age so if anything rubber gets over seven years old I usually change it out for new.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Good sound info, I think I'll have a belt on hand after 12K. I doubt I can muster the tech competence to change it especially on the side of the road.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:16 am

Grey, I have been looking into this operation as my SWing creeps closer to the "belt change" at 14000 miles. There is a good video on Youtube detailing the belt swap and it is not nearly as daunting as I first thought. The main problem is the tool needed and it is easy to make, I have a friend who will loan me his so I am covered there. I don't carry an extra belt with me; foolish perhaps but there it is. However, that said, I will not wait until belt breaks before replacement. Most likely will change it out between 15-16K then will have an extra belt to take on long trips. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
canhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 am

My wing is a 93 and No! I did not have it measured. Now I have another question.  Does the nut that removes outer belt pulley have reverse threads?  I reeked on it trying to remove it but it will not release.  Even had my wife sit on the bike to hold it down!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Canhead, there is a "pictorial " for changing the belt. There are a bunch of replies and should give the information you need. JeffR did a great job of showing how he changed the belt. Did I mention there are pictures? I like pictures!  cheers  According to the post, the threads are not reverse. I hope this helps you and your assistant.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:12 pm

At 16,000mls on the button my "V" light came on. So i changed the belt. At 32,000mls again on the button as the dial tripped up to 32, the light came on, so, i changed the belt again. The wear on the belt is to the side, as the belt moves up and down the pulley, it does not sit on any cogs (unless you say the clutch pulley is a cog) or gearing, much as a chain would. Smile The centre bolt is a right hand thread.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Just before it was due as I had a long trip coming up.
I gave myself a bit of a fright since the light came on subsequently during the trip!
Somehow I managed to reset it so all was well.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Don't test fate with your drive belt, change at required 16k mile intervals.  Several of us here have had up to 20k + miles on belts, but also have the tools and experience to change one out.  I would never leave on a trip knowing the belt interval had passed or the tires did not have sufficient thread life.  Safe riding includes all systems.  You will never enjoy your trip if you are constantly worrying about the drive belt.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Why is this thread sitting under "Tips for Using This Site"?
I would think a mod's responsibility would include moving misplaced threads to where they belong.
Slackers!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 2:06 am

I'll do anything for cash bigbird - well, almost - and the title of this section is:

Maintenance, Tips and Hints. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 3:59 pm

I watched an interesting video of a guy on YouTube changing his swing's belt on the side of the road. I'd find it if I could but that site is blocked here at work. The guy posts videos to his channel and I think he's called the Lenawee Trekker or something like that, he's really into Star Trek and scooters.

Anyway, he's riding with some guys and tears his belt so he pulls out his tools and changes the belt on the side of the road, with one of the other guys filming the whole thing in real time. The video is almost exactly one hour long so in less than an hour he's done and down the road. It's very impressive, at least to me.

If I think of it I will find the video at home tonight and link to it here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 4:18 pm

This one DuggleBogey .........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 pm

That's the one, thank you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 2:51 pm

No prob's bud  Smile  I was watching his video on cutting down a windshield,so skipped through the list & found it quite quickly  Wink 
Back to top Go down
canhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 9:37 am

Interesting!  Of all the messages I received not one answered my question.   I guess it doesn't matter but I was curious.  Got the belt changed after obtaining an electro-pneumatic drill or whatever they are called.  Nut came right off.  Had just under 23,000 miles and the old belt looked like it had another 20,000 miles before needing to be changed.  
At least now I don't have to worry about it.   Peace of mind is so valuable!
Thanks to all who responded and I hope all you Dad's had a really good Fathers day. I did!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:34 pm

canhead what question do you need answered ?
Old Limey answered your first question "Am curious to know at what mileage did you change your belt? "          
"Hi Yo" answered your second question "Does the nut that removes outer belt pulley have reverse threads?"
Are you sure your Silverwing is a 93 I don't believe we had a Silverwing scooter in 93. And just because the belt looks good doesn't mean it's good, did you measure the belt after you took it out? Also I hope you had a really good Fathers day too.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Just because one does not get the answer they want does not mean the questions one asks are not answered. This isn't a congressional hearing.  Laughing  I felt the pictorial JeffR did should answer all questions. If someone has a crystal ball, maybe they can predict when the belt might break. Short of that, I would trust Honda engineering.
Back to top Go down
Regio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Regio

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-25

PostSubject: Belt change   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 1:53 am

I changed mine at just over 17k miles. I watched the Lewanee Trekker video and it terrified me to think of the belt shredding and possibly damaging the other stuff inside the compartment. I had a new rear tire mounted at the same time. It was pricy but worth it for the peace of mind. The old belt looked very sturdy still, but I think the wear is side to side, almost in an"\_/" shape. I could tell there was wear when I looked at it that way. I'm confident the old
belt will suffice as a spare if I need one on a ride. Now to study up and learn how to change the darn thing my self!
Back to top Go down
canhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 9:42 am

It is an 03 not 93. Sorry! Not that it makes any difference now. All I have yet to do is look in the book and find out how to get the amber warning light to go off.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 10:26 am

canhead wrote:
 All I have yet to do is look in the book and find out how to get the amber warning light to go off.  
  To reset the light:  Start with ignition off.  (1) Press both buttons on scooter's display.  (2)  Hold the buttons pressed and turn the ignition on.  (3)  Keep holding the buttons until the V belt indicator starts to blink (about 5 seconds).  (4)  Release both buttons and check that the indicator light goes off.     I hope this helps and answers your problem.   In my case, there was a 5th step.  (5)  Do it again dummy, you did something wrong.   Laughing

Last edited by "Hi Yo" on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
canhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 10:47 am

You saved me the research! Thanks so much and have a super day!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Glad to help. I had to research and that remedy had been posted by Waspie earlier. We miss you Waspie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: At what mileage did you change your belt?   aftermarket  oem belt - At what mileage did you change your belt? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

At what mileage did you change your belt?
Page 1 of 1