Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Departing in the morning

Go down 
+2
MikeO
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Departing in the morning Empty
PostSubject: Departing in the morning   Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 am

After 8 AM Dr appointment on Wed leaving to take in 10-12 more states on my 2014 49 state ride(s)---time gone=no plans.  carrying light camping stuff, in case, Motel 6 costs little more in many cases.

Since I have been doing this for now 61 years---passing on some info for those  who haven't done it yet.   I was blessed to have jobs that  paid me to travel, got a lot in on the job---Europe, Asia, US------when I worked for the DOD and Army, the married mafia that ran the show objected, but I did anyway----you know the types/no fun/ugly wife.....when they retire get riding mower....no bike/snow machines, etc....no interest in me having fun....and getting the job  done.

For Trip:

Bike new,3000 miles, fresh WalMart oil/Givi Box, Givi Tank (hump)bag, Givi adjustable windshield.  Good supply of fresh foam ear plugs.

Use no GPS, other Electronic stuff, reg. seat...I ride everyday so my butt in shape.  Have 2 small map books (one could stay home)  Tools to remove wheels, etc. Tires fresh Ride On inside...maybe handy in small puncture....most important constant balance=smooth ride.

Clothes/Riding   No flap/waterproof first rule.  Good in warm(but no mesh for me=junk)

So:  Darien Lite Yellow jacket, good to 90 degrees or so, no good below 35 degrees F
Pants: Jeans tucked into Combat Light boots from Aerostich.

Gloves:  big collection for cold/warm/wet and spares

Decided maybe too warm for my leather bibs, my Darien light pants not all day convenient for me----so taking my 15 year old Joe Rocket XL rain pants---they work good and in case of cold spell can be pulled to arm pit level offering lower back protection from drafts----also pr of long underwear carried underseat for real cold spell. PJs?

Pair of boat shoes for after ride----min. clothes....just take what you got into shower, dry next day in the "breeze" wearing your spares.

two rubber Ortleib bags for junk

Keep load low, towards front---I at 75 like to keep comfortable/warm and  get off bike at end  of 400-500 mile day feeling good.

Helmet: Arthur Fullmer 3/4 with built in face shield  I probably change ear plugs twice a day, use Vaseline in outer ear channels---carry tweezer in case plugs go too deep in ear.

Speed: like to ride in the 60-70mph range and you don't get so beat up by the wind but use up to wide open to get away from idiots who are not paying attention.

Don't hurry---no plans/destinations for the day best idea

Last/final...as I like to learn from each trip----no rubber boots for first time in 60 years...trying to see if my Combat Lights can stand day of dripping water behind scooter legshields---no rubber boots=space/weight saving, hopefully no suffering.

As I ride a lot//have ridden a lot, I try to get off bike each hour, take helmet off, ear plugs out, check bike/walk around a little/wake up/pee.
Going to sleep on bike can be fatal.

I have credit cards/cheap phone.

Whole idea this stuff is fun should not be torture.....I do stop for riders in trouble....trailer bikers do not!!

Gas mileage:  might be 55mpg for trip.  I fuel @120-150 miles as I hate walking, reg/cheapest   every 1000 miles tank of Shell Super....maybe the chemicals keep fuel systems clean??

Eat---McDonalds best for no runs----Wendy puts me in the bushes within 20 mins.  No bushes in west=real problem.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Departing in the morning   Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:00 am

Safe Riding and Good Luck John - enjoy the trip......and thanks for all the tips. :-)
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Departing in the morning   Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 am

John,

I hope you have a great time and also ride safe. Are you going to take a computer along to post as you go? Have fun.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Departing in the morning   Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 11:24 am

John,

May the roads be smooth and the bathrooms be clean.

Have a fun time.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Departing in the morning   Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 12:06 pm

I am not computer geek...but rider, computer not going. Computer adds nothing to bike trip.

For Dennis I usually pee along the road....haven't been arrested yet....but a number of years ago my dog and I both ran into woods to pee------Ranger saw us going in....did U turn and red light----tried to arrest me...told him to arrest all the animals and then get to me.......and reminded him he worked for us the taxpayers.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Departing in the morning   Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Take cell phone to update us stay at homes on your progress. Sounds like a wonderful time, Be safe and do let us know regularly how its going. Darn, I wish I was there.

Be Safe!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Departing in the morning   Departing in the morning I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Ride safe, John and take plenty of pictures if you take a camera!!! And remember Confucius says "no pee on electric fence".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Departing in the morning   Departing in the morning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Departing in the morning
Page 1 of 1