Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

front wheel balance weights

Go down 
+4
KurtPerthWA
john grinsel
Winger61
john&lesley
8 posters
AuthorMessage
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2014-03-29

front wheel balance weights  Empty
PostSubject: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 6:04 am

Can anyone else tell me if their front wheel has been balanced mine has 2 long strips about 10 of those squares on each side of the wheel and the are not even opposite each other why so much balancing .I take one hand of the handle bars at any less than 30 mph and get a hell of a shake .as you know ive just renewed the fork internals with all new parts and running 29 psi in the front avon viper tyre also 20w oil in forks .my question is does the front wheel have to be balanced at all my wheel bearings are fine to cheers all
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 7:24 am

I run PunctureSafe in my tyres, and it seems to make a difference - no vibration/wobbling.
Might be worth a try. Also, I've never tried Avon Viper tyres, but some comments posted on www.Maxi-Muppets.co.uk would suggest they are not good tyres. You could always have a look on there, join up and do a search for Avon Viper.
Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 8:09 am

Tire and wheel assembly needs to be balanced each time tire is changed---and sometimes more.

I use "Ride On" Do not know if available in your market. Those squares on wheel are wheel weights, stick on.

"Head shake" first look at steering head bearings and their proper adjustment. Take wheel out, have bike shop balance, also.

If "Ride On" or similar is found----remove those stick on weights!

t

Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 8:26 am

Mine does the same on OEM tyres (14000klm). Its the tyre wearing under braking or lack of pressure and low speed maneuvering combined with the fork trail. The rubber scallops out around the tread ribs. It is common, not only a Silverwing  problem. Sit on the bike and move the handlebars side to  side. That lateral movement is what I am talking about.

Don't forget to check the OEM Playdoh wheel bearings too.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 am

It sounds like someone used a lot of weight to balance the wheel, if your description is accurate. Are you saying they used 10 balance weights on each side of the wheel? That does sound like lot more than I would expect it to need.
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 10:14 am

Yes a strip of 10 each side of the wheel they are not even ajacent to each other
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 1:03 pm

60grams on each side I have just this moment unpeeled them they look like the strips you can buy on ebay.I have jacked her up on no play in wheel bearings or head bearings so will take her to work tomorrow and see if what I done helps
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:24 am

20W fork oil? Is that what is suggested? Most Honda's (including my Goldwing) want 10W or lower.
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:29 am

Carring around 200kgs two up so didnt want to much dive
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
20W fork oil?  Is that what is suggested?  Most Honda's (including my Goldwing) want 10W or lower.

The Progressive springs for the Swing come with 20w fork oil.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: front wheel balance weights    front wheel balance weights  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 11:48 pm

Exact weight of fork oil pretty much depends on how you ride a bike. I used 10W fork oil in my GW with Progressive springs. It really depends on your weight and the bike as well as the total load you most often carry. I've really never had a fork bottom out, some rear shocks on old bikes but not often a fork so it makes sense to me to adjust the oil viscosity to the ride you want. What may be good to reduce diving in the summer may be like riding with a solid, unsprung fork in the winter.
Back to top Go down

front wheel balance weights
Page 1 of 1