Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-04-05

02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... Empty
PostSubject: 02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring...   02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 7:31 pm

02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start...
The bike cranks, instrument panel lights up (3/4 full), can hear the fuel pump run, even gave a couple putts when I first tried to start it.  
History: I stopped riding it in Nov., it fell over on rt side during winter, the battery was low so I brought it in and charged it up – holding 12.75v. Also replaced the cable for heated gear that feeds through and comes out under seat.

Pwr of postive...cleaned the plugs and it's fine – NOT! Plugs have gas on them (replaced press reg 2yrs ago).
Not so much, more like 2 $7 sparkplugs + a crosstown drive and I HOPE it's running.
Did spark test and have spark. Think next step will be to jumper from truck, after that pump out old gas, maybe check air filter.

Anything else i should be checking?.

Last edited by stanly on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: 02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring...   02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 8:03 pm

You say the plugs were wet with gasoline.
That means either too much fuel or no spark.

You say there is spark at both plugs. Then you have either flooded your engine or you have too much gas from another pressure regulator problem.

You say your bike fell over in the winter. Perhaps that caused fuel to flood the pressure regulator.

My suggestion: If the plugs are now dry, try cranking the engine and see if it starts. Don't crank for more than 5 seconds. If it doesn't start, hold the throttle full open while cranking for another 10 seconds. If it then starts, you know it was flooded. You will need to pinpoint why it was flooded (tip over, gasoline/ethanol separation, turning the throttle while cranking).

If it still doesn't start and the plugs are again wet, perhaps the fuel pressure regulator failed again. Check the vacuum hoses to the regulator for tight fit. Then pull the vacuum hoses to each throttle body. If there is any fuel in the vacuum hoses going to the throttle bodies, you have another fuel regulator problem.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: 02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring...   02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 2:36 am

From experience... Check the usual suspects. Make sure the kickstand is up and the sensor says so. Also make sure your brake sensors are both hooked up and working. (If you squeeze each brake separately, do the brake lights come on?) My starter sensor on my left brake (US) came loose once after installing a velcro system to hold a drink. It took me longer than I'd like to admit to fix it despite having plenty of power, gas, and a real desire to get home even in the rain.

If the bike hasn't started in a while, you may find your gasoline has gone bad on you. In any case, you may just save yourself some hassle and take it to a qualified Honda motorcycle mechanic and let them do a spring tune-up for you.

Good luck. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring...   02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

02 Swing, 18kmi – won't start this spring...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: