Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Swing wont start

Go down 
+3
tankyuong
YammaPapa
La Moto Mota
7 posters
AuthorMessage
La Moto Mota
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey guys im looking for a little diy advice before i bring my Swing in to have a professional look at it. I bought a car 3 weeks ago and decided to hang up the riding gloves for the winter. I rode all last winter and loved it but now im going from sac to sf a little too often and decided to shell out the big bucks for a car. After letting the bike sit for two weeks i put stabil in the gas tank and was about to unplug the battery but decided to try to start her up just to make sure all was well. Much to my chagrin, my baby would not start. I hooked up my battery tender, it said the battery was just about fully charged but i let it charge for 24 hours anyway. The next day it still didnt start. I changed the spark plugs and still nothing.

It will turn half way over but wont go the rest of the way. You can tell its really trying to start but it just doesnt get that last bit of juice to turn it all the way over. Does anyone have any ideas of what my problem might be. Id really like to avoid taking it in. I dont have a lot of know how but im generally successful with whatever mechanical endeavors i try(thanks in no small part to Jeff R's and everyone else's amazing pictorials). Thanks guys, any help/advice/ideas are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
YammaPapa
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Hello La Moto Mota

From what you've described, it sounds like it needs a new battery. If your battery is over five years old, it's usually time to replace it anyway.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:44 pm

You can buy another battery for $30 on eBay Shipped
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Sure sounds like a new battery is needed. You can have the battery tested at most auto parts store for free. It's just not holding any amps, is what it sounds like to me.
Back to top Go down
La Moto Mota
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Would you guys wait til spring(when ill be riding again) or just go forward with it to make sure it is the battery and not something else? Obviously id unplug the battery after testing it if i got it now. Thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
YammaPapa
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 5:07 pm

For your own piece of mind, get the battery now and give it a whirl. Then make sure to charge it once a month until spring...have fun!
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 pm

LMM,

That sounds like a classic case of a 'duff' battery to me too. If you don't intend to ride the bike for the next few weeks/months then I'd be very tempted to shell out - sorry 'spend' a little extra cash on a sealed for life 'GEL' type battery. These are a far better bet than the wet lead/acid type.

When it comes to batteries the old saying 'the more you spend, the better it is' is very true. I haven't checked, but if you can get an Oddesey Battery for your bike then get it, they are great, and made in the USA I believe.

If you can't get one, then buy a replacement from a well known manufacturer like 'Yuasa' , 'Varta' or Exide', buying a cheap alternative is asking for touble a short ride down the highway!

The problem is most folks tend to ignore their battery until its packed up, when really they should be viewed as a consumable, rather like brake pads and tyres. Due to their size, and what they have to do, motorcycle batteries only really have a life of about 3 years, and not using them doesn't necessarily mean that they last longer either.

By the same token, charging them over and over doesn't do them much good, esp if its done at the wrong rate! The purveyors of so called 'fast chargers' have a lot to answer for when it comes to ruined batteries.

My best suggestion is to buy the best battery you can afford and fit it according to the manufactures instructions the day before you intend to ride the bike. Also for what its worth put some 'fuel stabiliser' (English spelling) in the tank, that will stop what you have from going off, making the bike hard to start later on.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 6:25 pm

If it is the batter .... a battery desulfator may be able to recover the battery.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 6:44 pm

bigbird wrote:
honda_silver wrote:
.... a battery desulfator may be able to recover the battery.

He put his battery tender on it. The BT has an automatic desulfator function.

Google searched (below) and found not hits
site:batterytender.com desulfator
site:batterytender.com desulfation

Where is it documented that the Battery Tenders has a desulfator??
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:03 pm

If the bike is garaged, why not disconnect the battery and take it down to the battery store to have it checked out. As mentioned earlier, it lies on its side, so do NOT use a wet lead acid battery as it will leak acid all over your pride and joy and destroy it!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Hey rogerscoot,

Welcome to the forum and yes always install the correct battery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Swing wont start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing wont start   Swing wont start I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing wont start
Page 1 of 1