Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How do I repair my wiring harness?

Go down 
+4
Mudnman
Cosmic_Jumper
lalee
rcarrillojr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-19

How do I repair my wiring harness? Empty
PostSubject: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Hello, fellow SWingers.

It has been a while since I've been on this forum as all my Silverwing problems had gone away since I fixed them - mostly thanks to you all.

Anyway, about two weeks ago, I left my house to head to school at about 8:00am. I noticed that my bike was gone from the front of the curb where I had parked it the night before. Knowing I got my bike stolen, I called my insurance and the police. Unfortunately, I only had liability (I know, so stupid), and GEICO told me they couldn't do one thing for me.

My SW was my only for of transportation, so I sold some of my valuable belongings and bought a CBR250r. Very different from the SW.

Sorry, I'm dragging. Yesterday, the GTA detective called me and told me he my bike was a block away from my house. I ran over there and saw my SW with missing tupperware and painted these awful colors. Apparently the thief was trying to disguise it.

The damage? Poorly painted body, entire lock system was forced into and non functioning, but worst of all, the wiring to the ignition and near the battery terminal looked like someone was trying to make a bomb.

My question is - is there some time of diagram that shows you what the wires are and where they should be? There was some remnant of the wire colors, but there were also some stripped wires hanging out by the fuse box near the battery terminal.

I will send pictures later on, but I wanted to know if any of you know where to find a diagram, or if I should just take it to the dealership (something I can't afford right now).

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Sounds like it is in dire straights. Sorry to hear your bike was stolen.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Yes, there is a complete wiring diagram at the back of the Factory Service Manual.

You might give some thought about purchasing a complete wire harness though. IIRC there are a couple on eBay. Not necessarily the simplest idea but, at least, you're not trying to second guess some knuckle dragging thug and dealing with something that's butchered up.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 pm

In the service manual is a wiring diagram! There is plastic on ebay. How many miles on it,what year?Your the second person this year that I know of that got there scoot back from a block away.Yah that sucks.
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 12:29 am

Thanks guys.

It's an 07. I love my SW and wish to restore it to the way I got it. It angered me that someone could see something in great condition and decide to destroy its value by snapping off parts they didn't know how to access or recklessly painting over parts that shouldn't be painted.

I will look up those parts on eBay.
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 12:36 am

Here are some pictures. These idiots even painted the brakes red - perhaps to give it Brembo stopping power?

Last edited by rcarrillojr on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't post pictures correctly.)
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 7:56 am

Sorry about the theft. I still see no pictures?
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 pm

I sent you a PM regarding your bike. If you need help posting some pictures here and wish to email me a few, I would post them for you.

I hope it all works out for you.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 pm

I second the idea of buying a new harness (that's really the "right" way to repair it).  That said, not having seen the damage, I'd probably be very tempted to try fixing the harness.

If you fix it, the thief probably cut wires, but didn't cut out big chunks of wires.  So you can probably try to match up colors of the other end that basically line up when pulled together.  If you do go this way, you'll almost certainly need to add a bit of wire between the two pieces.  I'd recommend soldering for repair, with heat shrink over it.  The splices will be thicker than the original wire, so depending on where they are, you may need to get creative.

Alternatively, you can buy a wiring harness (used?) and chop out a section to replace your mangled section, and splice it in as described above.

Personally, I'm kind of shocked someone would hotwire a Silver Wing.  I hope they catch the guy that did that to you.  Did you have any security devices on it (disc lock, chain, etc) other than the built-in handlebar lock?

(edit: realized you're missing insulation on some wires - so I would recommend buying a used harness and cutting the fuse-box area connectors with messed up wires hanging out, then splicing the used harness connector in)
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 9:09 pm

I post pictures on forums using postimage .org Sometimes just a link to the picture.
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Here is a link to the pictures.

http://postimg.org/gallery/5eogxr9y/aa81443f/
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Boy they liked red lol Any of wires?
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 am

Boy, I am very sorry for your problems.  I just went through repairing the forks, and most of the tupperware, headlight, front turn signals, and side covers had to be repainted.  All this due to an accident I had. Hope you are able to do the repairs. I've learned how to do my own painting to cut cost. Main thing is to get your bike back running.  Good luck.
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 1:30 am

I'll take some pictures of the wires tomorrow, but I've already done some work on them myself, so you'll be seeing my amateur job in them.

Boy, I have to say, I've learned a lot about the SW the hard way. I've done things wrong several times before getting it right. But I think that's why I want to fix this bike so badly. I've already done so much work on it in the two years that I've owned it. I don't want to sell it just because so low-lives screwed with it.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 5:16 am

As they say, thieves arent societies brightest members. For instance- "lets paint the silverwing bright red so it blends in" !!!
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 8:53 pm

They made a mess...... sorry for your loss. I am sending you a PM.

Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 pm

That cast metal rear "wing" / luggage rack is pricey. Your thief picked one of the most expensive parts to mess with. Sad I'm wishing your scoot a quick recovery.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 10:01 pm

jmaslak wrote:
That cast metal rear "wing" / luggage rack is pricey.  Your thief picked one of the most expensive parts to mess with.  Sad  I'm wishing your scoot a quick recovery.

Very true but it look like a "rattle can" job so should not be too hard to remove the red... Good luck with a big project!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I repair my wiring harness?   How do I repair my wiring harness? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I repair my wiring harness?
Page 1 of 1