Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:34 am

» Drive belt prices
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Glad to see this forum on line

Go down 
+6
Colin B
"Hi Yo"
lalee
john grinsel
wobble
clnelson3
10 posters
AuthorMessage
clnelson3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-02-22

Glad to see this forum on line Empty
PostSubject: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Just bought my 3rd scooter, but haven't taken possession of it yet. I started on a chinese knock off 6 years ago then I bought an Aprilia Atlantic 500 and finally I am getting what I originally wanted all along and that is a Silverwing.  I cant wait to ride.  I hope that the Silverwing will be LOTS better than the Aprilia Atlantic.  I had problems with it from day one.  Do many people here trailer their Silverwings and if so, what minimum height trailer should I look for to accommodate the taller Givi windscreen to be able to ride it or push it into the cargo trailer?  Thanks for any help you can offer.   Question
Back to top Go down
wobble
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Sorry....I don't understand. Trailer? Silverwing? Why???? Ride it, man, it's what they're meant for.
Back to top Go down
clnelson3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 2:44 pm

The United States is a large country. Trailering to distant locations is almost required for time, comfort and safety.  I love riding, but major cities and foul weather over great distances are not fun!
Come on over and see how long it takes to get across it Shocked
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 3:01 pm

ride---trailering is for wimps and want to be's------SilverWing can easy do 4-500 mile days----You are never too old---I am 75, just got back from 800 mile round trip, 2 days to FL----real bad weather on way north. Hate to go to bike/scooter rally and hear the trailer bikers talking about the trip in-----you see them falling all over the place when they try to ride!! Daytona and Sturgis are good examples.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 4:05 pm

My girl friend and I sometimes trailer our Silverwing behind our 06 Chev. Outlander van when we go camping / sight seeing.  There are plenty of advantages to trailering the bike.

1.  We can take turns driving and can do 1,000 miles in a day.  We have trailered our scooter from Seattle to Phoenix and arriving in 30 hours.  (1500 miles one way)
2.  We can drive at night, during a hail or snow storm.
3.  We have a comfortable vehicle of which we can sleep in if we choose to.  
4.  We can haul all of our camping creature comforts.
5.  My girl friend enjoys a ride on the scooter but does not like spending 10 hour days on the back.
6.  We can listen to our music and talk to each other while traveling.
7.  When we visit our grand children we can bring them along if we choose to do so.  
8.  The Silverwing is a great sightseeing machine, leaving the van at the camp ground.
9.  When camping on rainy days, we can drive in to a city and catch an afternoon matinee.  
10 We do it because we can, we enjoy doing it and we don't care what others think of it.

I haul my scooter on an open flat bed trailer that I bought from Harbor Freight.  Oh, and by the way, my Silverwing has a hitch and I can pull that trailer or my other trailer, if I wish to do so.

When we start RV'ing full time, we will have our Ford Ranger hitched to the back of the RV and our Silverwing will be in the back of that.

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find something here to keep coming back.  

Glad to see this forum on line Wttg

Last edited by lalee on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Glad to see this forum on line 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Welcome to the forum. When my bike is on the center stand, the top of the windscreen (Givi 214 DT) is 62 inches from the floor. How much room you will need to maneuver the bike will depend on you. Since you did not ask me for money to help pay for your bike, I won't comment on how you use it.  Laughing  Just enjoy it!!!  small moped 
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 4:14 pm

john grinsel wrote:

ride---trailering is for wimps and want to be's------SilverWing can easy do 4-500 mile days----You are never too old---I am 75, just got back from 800 mile round trip, 2 days to FL----real bad weather on way north.   Hate to go to bike/scooter rally and hear the trailer bikers talking about the trip in-----you see them falling all over the place when they try to ride!!   Daytona and Sturgis are good examples.

No disrespect to you or your need to ride your scooter where ever you wish.  You have that right, but don't assume that all trailer guys don't ride their bikes as well.  

I am from South Dakota when I lived in eastern SD, I always rode to the rally. (350 miles one way)  I now live in Seattle.  I have ridden to Sturgis and trailered to Sturgis.  It is 1500 miles from Seattle.  If you only have a week off and want to attend the rally, then you better trailer the bike or spend 3 days getting there.... 3 days going home and one day resting at the rally.  

In America, we have choices and many do choose to do so.  This forum is for owners of Silverwings and trailering one is an option, perhaps not for all owners of Silverwings.

I hope this disqualifies me as a wimp or a wanna be.  Here is my Goldwing, pulling my dual sport.

Glad to see this forum on line Goldwinganddirtbiketrailer

Or perhaps this might work for you:

Glad to see this forum on line Harleytrailers2

Last edited by lalee on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 4:20 pm

john grinsel wrote:
trailering is for wimps and want to be's.

That's a nice friendly welcome to a new member. Each to his own, Mr Grinsel; each ---- to ---- his ---- own.

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 5:17 pm

welcome applause welcome 
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm really interested in seeing pictures of how various people tie down their Silverwings to trailers. I'm a lot more interested in *that* then whether or not someone else's riding style meets someone's standards for real riders.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 5:56 pm

jmaslak wrote:
I'm really interested in seeing pictures of how various people tie down their Silverwings to trailers.  I'm a lot more interested in *that* then whether or not someone else's riding style meets someone's standards for real riders.

That is a good question.  That is a different subject and deserving of a different thread.  

Briefly, I use a front wheel chock, and use ratchet straps from the seat handles to the front of the trailer to hold the bike up tight into the front wheel chock.  I also go straight down from the rear handles on each side to keep the bike on the trailer in case of a collision.  Note that the strapping wants to rub against the ABS, so if that is a concern for you, then the use of some masking tape under the straps would help.

The trailer in the Goldwing picture is the same trailer setup. I just moved the front chock forward to account for the extra weight that a Silverwing Scooter has in the back. This was to balance the trailer weight.
Back to top Go down
clnelson3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 pm

Thank you for all your ideas and thoughts. Hope to glean many ideas and suggestions from so many different folks with just as many experiences. Enjoy the ride!
Back to top Go down
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 am

swing welcome!
Back to top Go down
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 12:17 am

Travel any way you want, you cam Wing it when you get there. I am retired and just last summer did 526 miles in one day from Florida and it was 102 all day long. Why? I just had a good day and felt great. Than some I take 3-5 days to run 1,300 Miles, if I were in a hurry and wanted to save money I would take a jet.

Magoo Triker
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 12:35 am

clnelson3 wrote:
Thank you for all your ideas and thoughts.  Hope to glean many ideas and suggestions from so many different folks with just as many experiences.  Enjoy the ride!

We enjoy ride reports speckled with crisp clear pictures. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Back to top Go down
wobble
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 11:27 am

I'm aware that the US is a large country thank you very much, and I kind of get the trailering thing if you're travelling by RV ( or camper as we call them here in quaint lil' old Britain). \I ride 350+ days a year. only thing stops me is a decent fall of snow. I travel to festivals etc taking everything I need on the Wing. If you ain't got room for it, you generally don't need it. I can do 4-500 mile days on the Wing no problem. There's no such thing as the wrong sort of weather, only the wrong gear!
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 11:48 am

welcome 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glad to see this forum on line   Glad to see this forum on line I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glad to see this forum on line
Page 1 of 1