Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
model28a
Mike from NS
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. Empty
PostSubject: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Checking underneath while cleaning wheels, tires and tupperware I found
the bolt in the picture.  It is a flanged bolt with a shoulder (not visible in the pic) beneath the flange.
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. Found5mmbolt_zpse6386434
It was hung up in the grill-work (parallel to the ground) beneath the plastic
grill-work in front of the radiator.  The head was too big for it to fall
through and I removed it by taking it up and though the grill-work in
front of the radiator.  The thread is 5mm x 10mm lg with a shoulder of
5/16" dia X ~3.5 mm thick.  Guess I'll have to take the cowling off to try
to find a hole longing for a missing bolt.  I certainly couldn't see where this
may belong by looking up from below.  

What are the chances that it doesn't even belong with the bike and just fell in through the grill in front of the radiator?Rolling Eyes 

Just thought that there may be some forum followers who can take a Silver Wing apart in their sleep; that may just know where this bolt may go if in fact it is Honda related.  Maybe there isn't a bolt of this description in the front sections of a S'Wing anyway.  For peace of mind I can see a dis-assembly of plastic in my future.

Thanks for any input.
Mike
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 8:08 pm

It is possibly a bolt that holds the front cover on. I'm not sure what year but on my 08 I have a collar with a special bolt that holds the front cover on, but I have seen a bolt that looked like the one in your picture on a friends Silverwing. The collar on mine or the shoulder on the bolt my friend had fit in a rubber washer type thing. This is just a guess I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks Roger.  Mine is an '05.  I'll take a close look at the front cover.  Can you direct me where to look?  There has been a buzzing vibration and thought this may have been the windshield.  This bike (or any bike) is new to me so it is all a learning curve I'm on.
Mike

EDIT: Looking here: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Scooter/2005/FSC600D+AC/FRONT+COVER/parts.html

I wonder if part # 18 of the sketch is what you have in mind Roger. This bolt isn't mentioned in the parts' list.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 9:47 pm

The shoulder bolts that attach the front cover to the frame are 'button head' allen head bolts. They are button head so that they clear the windshield garnish. This bolt looks like it could be one of the sub-frame bolts. Like #33 in the illustration.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Cosmic_Jumper could be right. I forgot the mounting bolts are allen head bolts.
See I said I was guessing.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 3:25 am

Have a look at the underside of your saddle. It looks like the bolts that secure the bum-stop bars.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 am

Looks very much like the bolt that secures the brake pipe clamp to the steering yolk (triple tree) to me,or possibly the one that holds the coolant filler in place (under right hand glovebox),with the coolant mounting bolt loose/missing you could well get vibration noise from the windscreen area Wink
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 5:44 am

Service manual page 2-21 ,under cover shows 2 bolts securing the cover to the frame ,bolts are located by the vent opening . Look there or under the floor mat before removing the cowling.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 3:12 pm

I had a pretty good look for holes missing a bolt this morning.  Can't see any so far.  The coolant reservoir bolts are in place.  Couldn't get a look at the "brake pipe clamp to the steering yolk" area. I had the floor mats off and the lower cover on the right side (the bolt was on the grill-work on the right side) and all bolts seem to be present.  Did a lot of looking though the coolant access "hole" - right side glove box removed. I did manage to get removed parts back in place !  I plan to build a shed for the bike next summer and after crawling on the ground today I hope to include some means to raise the bike for easier working conditions.

I'm beginning to think that it isn't a Honda bolt because of the flange being domed and I haven't seen any shoulder bolts on the part dwg's so far.  It likely has been hanging out in the grill for some some - the threads are rusty.  In the spring I'll take off more plastic and search farther.  Here is another picture.  Thanks for your input and help with this puzzle.   Mike
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. Bolt_zpsc24bd000
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Better picture there bud Smile ignore my earlier suggestions,that is deffo for holding a plastic item,the shoulder under the washer is to prevent over tightening & crushing the component Wink
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Just one more thought. One of the three BOLT-WASHER (6X16)
90120-KCR-003 that hold the fan shroud on to the radiator.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks Dennis.  I looked at those today.  Those and the 3 holding the fan motor in place are there.

Thanks, "The Bern".  I wanted to try to show the shoulder and the rusty threads better than the first picture.  Now I will work on the focus Rolling Eyes  !  .  It has been out in the weather a while.  Like you say .. the shoulder pretty well makes it a bolt for securing plastic.  I was thinking it may be for the head-light assembly -- and will get a look at that area next time.   But then, I don't think a bolt from there would fall to the lower grill. Will look anyway! That isn't a loose washer  (if this is what you may be thinking) but rather a domed flange as part of the bolt.

I'm starting to think this bolt was either dropped and replaced rather than fished out or it was kicked up off the road somewhere ...long, long ago - based on the rust.

All the comments are appreciated !
Mike
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Looks like part #9 in the following drawing.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Scooter/2002/FSC600+AC/HEADLIGHT/parts.html
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 11:57 pm

I just happen to have my front end (cover) off this evening, and I confirm that #9 sure looks to be the part in the photo.

Unfortunately, unless it is one of the top two headlight assembly mount bolts you're not going to confirm that until you remove the front cover. You can see the threads of the top two bolts facing forward when you remove the windshield garnish.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 1:01 am

I believe part #9 has a very coarse thread, made to thread itself into the plastic bosses on the front cover. The shop I use to work on my scooter has a Silverwing with the front cover off right now. I will try to get over there tomorrow and see if I can figure out where or if it came off the front cover.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 7:14 am

That's the one I want to look at on the scooter, Wayne ... # 9.  But it looks like a longer screw from the sketch than my "found" one.  Thanks Wayne and thanks to Roger & Tim too.  Here's a picture of the screw balanced on the end of a pop rivet on a scale in an attempt to give some dimensions to it.  Measuring with a vernier, the thread dia is 6mm, length is 10mm. The shoulder dia is 8.5mm ( ... or 5/16"), shoulder height about 4mm, flange dia is 5/8".  As you can see the thread isn't coarse.  The total bolt length is 20mm.  The scale in the picture is a 1" scale divided in 1/10 markings.
A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. Boltonscale_zps99da1d0f

I'll take off the windshield garnish and have a look ... reporting back later today. I appreciate the international assistance on this puzzle.Smile 

Mike
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 8:11 am

Is there a prize for the correct answer?

Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Colin B wrote:
Is there a prize for the correct answer?

Just helping a fellow rider is enough for me... Aloha all.  Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.   A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A puzzle for those who know the S'wing really well.
Page 1 of 1