Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.

Go down 
+9
CathyN
GerardButlersHamster
Dimond
Magoo Triker
cotetoi
"Hi Yo"
Cosmic_Jumper
model28a
Mr Magic Fingers
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-14

New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. Empty
PostSubject: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Everyone!

My name is Tim and I live in Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.

I joined this site to learn about the Silverwings as I am more than likely going to purchase one for my wife. I like to learn and research about stuff before I invest money into something. I guess I am one of those “Informed Consumers” you hear about from time to time. Hahahaha

My wife and I are avid M/C enthusiast and can be found on our Goldwing running the roads when the weather is nice and work does not get in the way. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but have taken my 91 Goldwing down to the frame, restored a second engine for it and got everything up and running with no parts left over. That must count for something I guess. I have been riding bikes in one form or another for the last 35 years or so.

My wife got her MC license in early this year and I went out and purchased her an almost showroom condition 98 XV1100. As it turns out she HATES to shift. She is not confident on shifting and truth be told she is terrified of it so it’s not getting used. It is currently for sale on Kijiji.

I have my eye on an 07 SWing and once I get this bike sold I will be in a better position to pick this one up for her. She is very excited.

I look forward to hearing from others any time and would especially like to hear from members in and around my area.

I already recognize a few names here from another superb forum I haunt over on the Steve Saunders Goldwing board. I post quite a bit on that board and am quite an active member there. I have close to 2000 post there now. I am also known as Mr Magic Fingers there too.

Anyhow, I am looking to be learning all I can from here and if we do get the SWing you can bet that I will be a very contributing member here too.

Have an awesome weekend everyone!

Thanks,

Tim (and Christine)
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 4:23 pm

welcome applause welcome 
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Welcome to this wing of the asylum. I'm sure that your wife will enjoy her new Silverwing --assuming that you let her have a chance at it. Glad to hear that admit to being curious enough to disassemble your Goldwing. And given that level of "incompetence" I strongly encourage you to pick up a copy of a Silverwing Service Manual. You'll have no problem handling work on your new SWing. At some point Honda added an O2 sensor to the exhaust pipe, but otherwise all the Service Manuals are the same. So check eBay for a good deal. I'd also suggest that you pick up a set of Dr Pulley variator sliding roller weights, aka "Sliders". You'll get much smoother acceleration and performance, and quite possibly MPGs, over the OEM roller weights -even if you do nothing more drastic than exchange the 28gm OEM rollers for 28gm Sliders. Go with lighter Sliders and you'll get more impressive acceleration.

I've ridden thru NS several times both to specifically tour Cape Breton as well as 2 or 3 trips to Newfoundland (Canada's best kept secret), but regrettably not to Dartmouth. After that PITA toll at Truro I just wanna get to where I'm going and not have to repeat that inconvenience again.

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
Philadelphia
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 6:19 pm

welcome  welcome 
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi,

Well we don’t have the Swing yet. I still have to get rid of the XV1100. Anyone want to buy a pristine Virago??

I use to live in Cape Breton (Cheticamp and Baddeck). My in-laws have a beautiful cottage high up on one of the mountains on the Margaree River. It’s a world renowned salmon fishing river. Wayne, my father-in-law, is an avid fisher.

I also lived in Newfoundland (Rocky Harbour (Gros Morne National Park)) as a kid. Wayne wishes he could live there! Hahaha He is also an avid Moose hunter and spends quite a bit of time over there. And you are right… one of Canada’s best kept secrets. They are certainly Canada’s most welcoming and honest citizens and the island is incredibly beautiful. I love it over there.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Tim.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi, Mr Magic Fingers. I bet you took the name after you put your Goldwing back together and no parts left over !! Welcome to the forum. I am in Saint John, N.B. diagonally across NS and NB. You'll like it here, I joined for the same reason: to get the impressions of actual owners and riders as opposed to writers who churn out great reviews on trash. I have a 2005 Swing with 6000 km on it; practically a new bike. I love it. Your wife will surely love the Swing when she gets it.
Great place to hang out.
Back to top Go down
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Welcome for sure....

Magoo Triker
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi Tim, You will love your SWing - but be sure your wife is ready for a handful as the SWing is a bit heavy - very deceiving. There are some great 300cc scooters that are much easier to handle - just saying - not trying to be discouraging. Best wishes for your wifes next ride!
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 7:38 am

Hey everyone… great news…

We finally picked up a Swing for Christine.

Christine is very excited. We have to get it put in here name, then safety inspected and then have the plate moved from her VX1100 to this bike. She will be running the roads by the weekend. We purchased this out of Moncton, New Brunswick Canada.

It’s in great shape; buddy tossed in a ton of stuff (without us asking) and took off $400 when I asked if the price was negotiable.

2005 Silverwing (11k km)…
Heated grips…
New tires with 15 KM on them…
GIVI windscreen…

The OEM wind screen…
Service manual…
A full face helmet and a regular style open face helmet…
New gloves…
New Hi Vis armored jacket (never used)…
Chaps…
2 leather vests with a bunch of GWRRA pins on it…
A large 2.5x 3.5 clear mounted exploded drawing of my Goldwing GL1500 bike…
OEM bike cover…
And a bunch of other stuff.

We went up yesterday morning (about a 2.5 hour drive), looked at it, bought it and I drove it from Moncton yesterday. It was colder than I am use too on the Goldwing as it is not as well protected from the wind and no heat. Thank got it had heated grips! The Goldwing has heat and heater vents like a car. Doing a run from Moncton is not very far for us. When we’re on the Goldwing we can do 900 to a 1000 km a day when needed.

It was 15c most of the way, very windy and was drizzling rain and absolutely no sun and black sky! Brrrrrrr.

I must admit… That little thing has guts! I was zipping along and found myself at 130kph a few times. Passed a few cars now and then at 150 and still had throttle left over. In all those hills (the route goes over a mountain) not once did I ever come to a spot where I lost speed going up. I could always continue to accelerate. I am not light guy at over 300lbs.

May garage and hangout is a bit stuffed at this point.

Tim.

Last edited by Mr Magic Fingers on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 8:13 am

Hey, Tim. Sounds like you made a good buy on that scooter for your wife; and all that extra gear !! I bet Christine can't wait to get going ! Have fun, you have the right machine for it. A few good days of fine weather in the forecast for us, and probably for you too.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-09-05

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 8:45 am

Glad to hear you got the scooter hope you both enjoy it tho i dont think you guys have long before the cold stuff starts heading your way
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks guys…

Were pretty well protected by the all the Tupperware of the Goldwing against the cold. We bundle up well. We're usually good down to -2c or -3c before Christine lets me know it's soon time to head home.

Christine won’t be driving too deep into November but I usually drive (with her on back) until the first application of salt in the highways. That usually in mid to late Dec. We’re hearty Maritimers up here. Were out pretty early in the spring too once the salt dust has washed away.

Tim.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 11:43 pm

welcome welcome 

You will enjoy the Swing. I too, like Christine did not like the shifting. I have had my 2009 Swing for 3 years now and have put over 40,000 miles on it. My husband rides a BMW R1150R and I can keep up with him no problem. Enjoy your new ride and I hope you have a great fall. Here in Chicago it has started out great. Ride safe.

swing 
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 am

Welcome and congrats on your new SWing. The SWing is more powerful than a lot of people think and it will keep up with your Goldwing up to an actual 102 mph. They do sell accessories for keeping wind off your legs if you think it is needed. And if you plan to ride long distance Christine you might want to think of the hyperpro front springs. They give the SWing a more motorcycle feel in the front suspension. Also a good windshield like the Clearview or Givi Airflow. I think the Clearview will give the best wind protection although I like the Airflow better. But I live in the San Francisco bay area where it doesn't get cold (as least for this mid-west guy).

There are plenty of pictorials here to do your own maintenance and we will all help too with advice. Again, Welcome and post a pic if you get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Hello Christine, Get Tim to get you some Gerbing (or equal) full heated jacket liner AND heated gloves with dual controller - you won't be sorry!
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 7:59 am

Hey guys…

I was just over at my regular hangout at the Steve Saunders Goldwing site and one of the threads was named “How many bike do you have and why?”

Then I was thinking I never did post a picture of Christine and her bike here. So I thought I would… and the reason we have 3 bikes.

Well, I (we) have 3 bikes and I really only want 2.

91 Aspencade (with a 97 powerplant) as our daily rider.
98 Virago that is for sale. My wife didn’t like it.
2005 Silverwing – My wife is “in love” with this bike!

Did I mention that the Virago is for sale? – Please someone buy it! Near showroom condition!

I started off this spring with my 82 Aspencade for sale and my 91 Aspencade as our regular ride. I sold our 82 Aspencade and decided to get a bike for Christine as she was taking a M/C course and getting her license around that time.

However, before Christine took her course and got her license did I happen upon a “good price for a great bike” kind of a deal – the Virago. It’s an awesome little bike with tons of low end power. As it turns out, my lovely wife is scared of it… any bike for that matter… if it has a clutch and gears. She just can’t do it without crying. She put less that 10km on it. Have I mention it’s for sale?
Attachments
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. Attachment91 GL1500 with trailer.jpg
Our 1500 everyday bike. On our way camping.
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(143 Kb) Downloaded 11 times
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. Attachment98 xv1100 Virago - FOR SALE.jpg
The bike she didn't like.
(169 Kb) Downloaded 12 times
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 8:02 am

Long story short… I looked into getting her a Silverwing. What’s a guy to do? I could not let that defeated feeling that she had stay with her. The Silverwing is an automatic CVT bike – AND WOW… WHAT A BIKE!

We just got the Silverwing 3 weeks ago and she already has over 600km on it. Bikes just don’t sell well this time of year here so I guess I will have the Virago until spring.

I miss the room in the garage. We host a Wii bowling league for the people on our street during the winter months and we play it in the garage with a projector on the garage door. Now I have 3 bikes to move out into the weather in the winter.

It’s depressing… I have had my M/C license for 30+ years and have 1 bike. Christine has only had hers since May and she owns 2!! Sump’en wrong there… just say’n!

The picture of her and the Silverwing is a wall paper I made her. Her parents don’t know she has her license. They are not bike people – “Murder Cycles” or “Donor Cycles” they call them. Hence the “Christines dirty little secret.” tag on the wallpaper.  I want to incorporate that in a graphics package that I am designing for her bike. I want to place that saying just under the large spoiler above the brake lights. She will have none of that! She wants the pin striping done up like what on the Goldwing only in silver. She likes the idea it’s called a Silverwing.

Tim.

PS... The Virago is for sale if anyone is interested!
Attachments
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. AttachmentChristines dirty little secret.jpg
Christine and her new LOVE!
(164 Kb) Downloaded 25 times
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. AttachmentSteel horse stable.JPG
Our full garage!
(195 Kb) Downloaded 20 times
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 12:30 pm

applause  cheers  applause  Nice stable!! Oh, is the Virago for sale? Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 4:02 pm

You know about the Virago? You must have seen it on Kijiji! hehehe

Thanks about the Stable. We love it. I built it from the ground up 3 years ago. It is separate from the house for the bikes only and we tend to hang out there with friends. A great place to kick back and relax.

Tim
Attachments
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. AttachmentP1000518_resize.JPG
Relaxation area.
(198 Kb) Downloaded 15 times
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. AttachmentDSC07580_resize.jpg
Fresh fallen snow.
(154 Kb) Downloaded 17 times
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-07-11

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 5:50 pm

you go girl!!
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm sure Chris does love the Swing!! No shifting, no throwing the leg over, just step thru, start up, twist and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! And GO fast!!! cheers 

Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 7:08 am

Nice hang out!Smile 

Bob got a new 2014 BMW 1200GS this weekend. We are selling his 2004 R1150R and his 1986 Honda 700 Magda. Too many bikes in the garage. Enjoy the swing Christine.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Really nice "stable" Tim! Something to be very proud of, no doubt!
I've gotten out a bit lately but not close to 600kms since purchase !!! Can't fault our weather for that though.
Glad to hear Christine is so happy with the S'Wing.  It certainly is a nice bike.
My first ride into Halifax (and traffic, solo style) was last Wednesday to SMU area so continued down to the container terminal and then stopped at China Town on the way back to Bedford.
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. HalTermContainer_zps78a51da4
New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. DREAAcousticBargescooter_zps3daea23a

Take care,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Looking good Mike. If you are ever going to be over in Dartmouth, around Forrest Hills Parkway, please let me know in advance. I am very easy to find or we could meet up for a coffee! It's a beautiful day to be out on the road... wish I was.

Today (this weekend) is a weekend devoted to prepping our pool for the winter...a sign of the times. A brisk 13c water temp. I had ovaries there for a few hours! hahahaha

Tim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.   New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New from Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada.
Page 1 of 1