Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Better horn? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Better horn?

Go down 
+3
Colin B
Meldrew
Dramhunter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 am

Can anyone recommend a better horn than the standard fit on a UK 2010 Swing? It's pretty feeble!
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 7:38 am

It is feeble, but it's UK legal and in reality how often do you use the horn on any motorcycle, car, or scooter? Is it the worth the expense of buying and fitting a better one. I've got the same horn as you on my 2010 Silver Wing and apart from the occasional press on the button to check if it's working, I've never used it out on the road at home or abroad in nearly 3 years of ownership.

No doubt someone will come along and tell you about the Steibel Eltron Nautilus horn or some other louder mega-decibel penis substitute they've fitted. The truth is they won't use it much either, apart from demonstrating it's loudness to their mates. Loud horns are just as annoying as loud pipes, they piss people off.   Neutral
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 7:58 am

Meldrew wrote:
the Steibel Eltron Nautilus horn or some other louder mega-decibel penis substitute they've fitted.
Delivering +130dB of instantaneuos, permanent ear damage!

Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 9:24 am

Meldrew, one of your BEST ..... billc.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 am

Colin B wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
the Steibel Eltron Nautilus horn or some other louder mega-decibel penis substitute they've fitted.
Delivering +130dB of instantaneuos, permanent ear damage!
When I had this installed on my bike, I told the mechanic up front:
"Do not test it inside the garage because its really loud and will echo."

He didn't listen.

He didn't listen to anything else for the next 5 minutes either.

In reference to your comments, Meldrew,
I guess USA residents are just horn-ier then our UK counterparts.

Dan
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-03-14

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 3:03 pm

My brother put the two-tone Friam Freeway Blasters on my scooter, and I have used them on appropriate occasions. Since they are inside my Tupperware, the volume is reduced a bit, but they still get the point across.

Being female (and liking it that way), I would have to respectfully beg to differ with Meldrew's assessment of my horn selection:) 

Driving here in a Navy Town, you need to get the attention of all the people talking on their cell phones and (illegally) texting, as well as painting their toenails, reading the paper, etc. while driving. I also have headlight modulators up front and brake light modulators in the rear. These improve my visibility, and I believe my safety.

I am not really losing any sleep about putting someone out with my noise. When I use my horn, it's because someone is trying (either intentionally or neglectfully) to hurt or kill me. I think I have the right to be heard in such situations. If I could, I'd put a darn air horn on the scooter, and really make them jump out of their skin.

So it's not for everyone. I don't think it's some kind of "Freaky Freudian" envy thing if I choose to do so! To each their own....I like my louder horns very much, and I am otherwise a quiet, conservative Sunday School teacher type of person.
Back to top Go down

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Nowt wrong with fitting decent audible warning devices,my Frontera has twin Nautilus Smile my 750 Bonneville had twin Masserati (bugle type) air horns,but with limited space on the Swing a better bet would be twin tone Masserati snail type ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-TONE-UPGRADE-SNAIL-STYLE-AIR-HORNS-HORN-MASERATI-/160839904302?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2572ce2c2e
Back to top Go down

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 3:24 pm

RamblinRedhead wrote:

When I use my horn, it's because someone is trying (either intentionally or neglectfully) to hurt or kill me.  I think I have the right to be heard in such situations.  If I could, I'd put a darn air horn on the scooter, and really make them jump out of their skin. 
Self preservation is a sensible attitude & if you do want to fit an air horn this will do a good job for you ...... http://www.twistedthrottle.com/stebel-nautilus-compact-dual-tone-motorcycle-air-horn-12-volt-139-db-black-or-chrome ... the 'bike version of what is on my SUV
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 am

I also had a Stebel Nautilus horn installed on my wife's SilverWing because she felt she needed it after a bout of SMIDSY.  Not exactly certain how Meldrew would analyze my putting a louder horn on my wife's scooter....

Sorry Meldrew.  But, to make amends; as soon as I knew you disapproved of the horn I installed a mudflap that I did not think I needed.  I would not want to draw the ire of the ONE.Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

Better horn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better horn?   Better horn? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Better horn?
Page 1 of 1