Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Problem with installation of stebel air horn

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
stevec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
stevec

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-07-18

Problem with installation of stebel air horn Empty
PostSubject: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:49 pm

I received horn in mail this morning. Started taking front cap apart, mounted the horn as instructed by Honda Silver, behind the headlight. I wanted to not hook up to factory horn button so I hooked wires up to battery using a seperate horn button. Had a 30amp relay and 30 amp fuse, couldn't get horn to work.

Does it have to be grounded to work? Is the stock horn button grounded or does the horn itself have to be grounded. The instructions do not show any of this. No sound at all.

Any suggestions? How can I check the horn itself to make sure it is in working order?

Thanks, SteveC
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi Steve,

Just a thought...Try it after you reverise the wires attached to the horn.

To just test the horn, just run some short lead wires off your scooter battery and touch the horn ternimals, quickly.

Be carefull, these horns a very load. Use ear plugs when testing.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 4:50 am

Steve if you go to Twisted Throttle web site they have a wireing diagram for the stebble hook up When I hooked My horn up to my Vstar I used there Deluxe wiring harness Just plug and play and you use the Swing horn button I did not put one on the Swing yet That will be a winter project but will use the same harness Tony
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 9:09 am

Hi Guy's,

I'll be installing a Stebel horn on to Gary's Swing in a couple of weeks. I'm going to design a bracket to do the job right and NO plastic tie wraps to hold it on the scooter. So if your needing to install a Stebel horn...hold off a couple of weeks. Problem with installation of stebel air horn Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 9:21 am

Here are two bits from 'elsewhere' which may help - the installation was on an X9:

The electric part...I just disconnected the original horn and left it there...followed the instructions that came with the horn..and installed the relay I used the horn screw to attach the relay (keep it off the belly pan) Ran a 20A hot wire from the motor to the relay and back to (followed the plastic hose) the Battery through the compartment ....installed an in-line 20A fuse as well in the compartment....the ground wire I ran from the motor again following the hose to the ground next to the original horn...little more wire and work...you could i suppose find ground next to the compartment.

and

The relay has a coil and contacts. each has 2 wiring posts. On the coil you have to ground one post and the other is connected to the horn switched lead. (you find it by putting a meter on the wires and pushing the horn button with ignition on. If it goes from zero to +12 volts, thats the one you hook to the relay coil.)

The other 2 wiring posts, the contacts of the relay, one side goes to the battery + terminal, (fuse inline) the other contact wiring post goes to the + of the horn. The other side of the horn (-) goes to ground.

Ground is anywhere you can bolt it to the frame...

The reason to connect direct to the battery with a 14 ga wire is to get enough current to make the Stebel Horn SCREAM!!!

And this thread:

http://www.x9ownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13797.msg168991#msg168991
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:01 am

DennisB wrote:
I'll be installing a Stebel horn on to Gary's Swing in a couple of weeks. I'm going to design a bracket to do the job right and NO plastic tie wraps to hold it on the scooter.

Is Gary's Silverwing ABS??

The ABS model have an extra component. If you are facing you the front of the Silverwing, under the lower left corner of my horn. The ABS component, HID ballast and front fairing attachment dictated where I position the Stebel Horn.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Bill,

Yes, it's ABS.

I'll be looking at two or three mounting points on the scooter. When the scooter gets here, Gary and I will be removing just about every piece of tupperware off the bike.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:44 pm

stevec wrote:
I wanted to not hook up to factory horn button

Why? With the Plug-and-Play wiring ( http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2867/ ) ... the wiring would be straight forward.

Here is the wiring link that Tony mentioned above http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecatalogue/imageview/8235/?RefererURL=/trade/productview/2867/539/

Problem with installation of stebel air horn Horn.wiring.diagram
Problem with installation of stebel air horn 539
Problem with installation of stebel air horn 539
The factory horn, just turns on the switch in the relay ... the power is drawn from a separate wire.

stevec wrote:
so I hooked wires up to battery using a seperate horn button. Had a 30amp relay and 30 amp fuse, couldn't get horn to work.

Does it have to be grounded to work? Is the stock horn button grounded or does the horn itself have to be grounded. The instructions do not show any of this. No sound at all.

First check the wiring diagram above and let compare the differences.
Back to top Go down
stevec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
stevec

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installation of stebel air horn   Problem with installation of stebel air horn I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Didnt have time today to work on it, did check horn buy people i order it from They said fo bipast relay and fuse hook direct to a different battery.

horn work like this,

I order a wring kit when I When i order the horn , They said that if i hook up the red to pos. black to neg. with there kit that there no need to ground

I put back together yesterday, afreidi i didnt I may not get it together again
Dennis ,I will wait and see where and what kind of bracket you can come up with.
HORN SOUNDS SWEET
Back to top Go down

Problem with installation of stebel air horn
Page 1 of 1