Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
extra running lights I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

extra running lights

Go down 
+2
AV-40
hotwings
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

extra running lights Empty
PostSubject: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 7:37 am

I got a pair of blue running lights from ebay for around $8 and installed them yesterday.

extra running lights Image_10
i had to make a bracket (2) for the light mount. this is just a flat L bracket from the hardware store ($.79) that i bent and drilled to fit the required holes for the light and existing mounting bolt. I painted it black.

extra running lights Image_11
This is one of the lights. Its comes with the mounting nut.

extra running lights Image_12
One of the 2 brackets installed. I used the existing front fender mounting bolt. Remove the reflector first to allow the bolt to be removed.

extra running lights Image_13
One of the lights installed. I ran the wire from the right light thru a plastic stick on tab that i mounted on top and center of the fender to prevent that wire from flopping in the wind (sorry no pic of that). I then zip tied the wires along the brake lines and up into the fairing where i tapped into a keyed power wire.

extra running lights Image13
The finished project. I havent ridden with these at night yet but they do cast a pretty good glow on the garage floor. With the bike outside in daylight and standing a couple hundred feet away the lights are an eye catcher. After i installed them yesterday i was thinking it would be nice to have the option to turn them on and off so i ordered a lighted switch from ebay. It will take 2-3 weeks to get the switch. It was a fun project and only cost around $15 total including the ordered switch.
Back to top Go down
AV-40
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Look nice, However, red or blue lights visible from directly in front of the vehicle would be illegal here. Are amber or clear versions, which are legal, available?
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 6:37 pm

White ones on Ebay UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-1-5W-LED-Eagle-Eye-Car-Up-Reverse-Lamp-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-White-Bulb-/110953882216?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d55de268

These are on Ebay.com
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-High-Power-3W-LED-Eagle-Eye-Parking-Backup-Fog-Light-Lamp-DRL-Truck-SUV-WHITE-/300926031472?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461096d670&vxp=mtr

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added ebay.com)
Back to top Go down
AV-40
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks TB2 for the reference.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:42 pm

[quote="AV-40"]Look nice, However, red or blue lights visible from directly in front of the vehicle would be illegal here. Are amber or clear versions, which are legal, available?[/quote

After reading this i was worried about travelling into New York state from Canada with these lights on, if it was legal or not,so i decided to leave them on anyways.(still waiting for the switch). The wife and i passed a state trooper in the sleepy village of Sackets Harbour N.Y. and as he slowly passed we locked eyes and i expected him to whip around but thankfully he kept moving on.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
extra running lights 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Hotwings, it may have been a "sleepy village", but I'll bet you woke up. :lol!: 
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 9:36 am

Finally got around to installing the switch for my lights. I had a hard time finding the required 20mm or 13/16" drill bit. I found an affordable step bit for $20 that worked perfectly. By easily removing the right glovebox i found where the switch could be mounted, making sure there were no obstructions behind etc. I stressed and fretted and paced the garage floor before getting the courage to plunge the bit into the shiny black finish. I installed the switch to the side so i can install more switches later as the need arises.

extra running lights Img_1521
This 12 step drill bit worked perfect for the task.

extra running lights Img_1522
I had to run an extra wire for a ground to the switch. The switch has a blue led light that illuminates when the lights are on.

extra running lights Img_1523
The finished project. The lights are on cheers
Back to top Go down
agreat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-04-03

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 12:28 pm

I think I'll give this a go especially after last week when a van decided to go for a gap in the inside lane while I was next to him, anything lighter than a Wing and I'd have been down. (He didn't see me No)
Does anyone know if I can use the switched live to the headlight to power them, I'm also going to upgrade the headlight bulb to a H7 PHILIPS X-TREME VISION.
No excuses for not seeing me then! cyclops 
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm also running these on home made aluminium brackets utilising the front 'fender' mounting bolts as they weigh very little. I wired them in using Dennis's connector which makes the whole thing very easy. They are on all the time but as the current draw is so small it doesn't really matter (I hope!).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: extra running lights   extra running lights I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

extra running lights
Page 1 of 1