Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
mattmartz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mattmartz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mattmartz

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-08-11

Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  Empty
PostSubject: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi All,

I am in great need of a reputable referral to a good shop/mechanic for my 2007 Silverwing in the Atlanta, GA area, preferably "intown". I live in Decatur and would prefer not to go too awfully far. I have an issue with my front brake master cylinder.

*Before anyone mentions the scooter shop right in Decatur, I will say yes, I'm aware of them, but they balked and acted wonky about working on my Silverwing. They prefer "their brands" and didn't make me feel confident that they would love on my beloved machine.

Thanks in advance.

- Matt

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:57 pm

any real Honda dealer---the also can get the right parts. And probably have seen same problem before
Back to top Go down
mattmartz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mattmartz

PostSubject: Re: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:08 pm

John, thanks for the reply...My nearest dealer is about 20 miles away. Am I wrong to assume that I'll pay more at a dealer? I was sort of raised to think that dealer = premium cost.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Yes, right. Dealer = premium cost. But you did ask for a reputable referral, and also demurred on the closer scooter shop.
Back to top Go down
mattmartz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mattmartz

PostSubject: Re: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Cosmic_Jumper, thanks for being so helpful. Really appreciate the incredibly thoughtful and substantive response. Next time, please contribute constructively to the original post.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:52 pm

I've always found that you get what you pay for , quality mechanics don't
come cheap and brakes are not something you want to take a chance on.
If you could give us some detail on what's wrong with the brakes , somebody on this forum might be able to give sound mechanical advice. When was the last time you had the brake fluid changed ?
Honda recommends changing it every two years .Is It is leaking fluid ?
I had the front caliper freeze on my CB550 because I did not change the brake fluid as recommended.
Perhaps the Honda Dealer could recommend somebody closer to you.
After all they would probably have to sell him the parts.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 am

Lawrenceville Honda is the one I use, and I have found their mechanics very "scooter-knoledgeable" and fair on pricing...but again it is a dealer.  You can get there easily on surface roads from Decatur.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am

Just to add my 2 cents, I do all of my own work, with the exception of occasional laziness when I use "that particular" scooter dealer on Ponce for tire swaps (I bring in my wheels and they take 2 minutes using the machine and give me new valves and charge me $30). I appreciate their friendly service but don't like paying the premium when I have the tools and experience to fix it myself. I also have a hard time giving my bikes over to a mechanic, even a Honda mechanic (I almost cried after I got my S'wing back from a NJ dealer after they completed the open recall procedures- It took a month, and they broke a bolt holding the floor pan to the frame and tried to hide it, plus the bike came back absolutely filthy).
Jesse in Atlanta

Last edited by toolboxjesse on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?    Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:10 am

My brother lives in Canton, GA, and when I am down there we got to a Honda dealership right near his house, to get parts and such (he has an ST1300 and a Helix, so he gets things there too).  They didn't do any work for me, but their parts department was very good, and they stocked all the things I needed.  They had a scooter exactly like my 2006 parked outside, and several new ones, too.  So they seem to know scooters pretty well there.

If (or when) I live down in that area someday, if bro can't do my work, I would go there first.  I've taken some of the plastics off.  I don't want some ham-handed guy who is already sneering at my scooter beating up on those spomewhat delicate tabs.  Also, the Honda is well engineered, and needs to be repaired by someone who understands it, not just the CVT, but many other parts of it as well. 

Brakes are totally something you can't afford to skimp on.  My wonderful bro changes my fluid every year when I'm down there!  If I don't go, I'd have my local shop here in Norfolk do it.  They have a great scooter guy there.
Back to top Go down

Good Mechanic/Shop In Atlanta, GA?
Page 1 of 1