Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clutch problem?

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
tinman
Ofer Rothmann
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-05-06

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 4:26 am

Hi,

This week i had a strange problem for the first time but it suddenly disappeared.

Sometime when i drive at night i like pushing the throttle all the way getting on the highway, I climbed to 80 km\h (about 50 miles\h) at about 35% throttle and then i twisted the throttle to about 80%-90%, the RPM went all the way to the red line (about 8000 rpm) and i was only driving 100 km\h (about 63 miles\h). affraid
For the rest of the trip whenever I pushed over 50% there was a feeling that something is slipping without any real acceleration and the RPM went all the way. Rolling Eyes

The next morning i tried to see if the problem is still there but nothing, everything is running ok.

Two weeks ago I changed the Drive train belt to a new one (Gates), I have Dr. Pulley 24gr sliders for about 6 month (6000 miles), 2006 Silver wing with 63,000 km ( 40,000 miles) on it.

Ofer Rothmann
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 7:05 am

I first installed my 24 gram Dr pulley back ward's and my rpm and acceleration went really high.I went on u tube and saw a video by Big Bird and reposition the sliders. The other thing that can happen is the variator nut loosen up .I would look there first for what is happening,check for oil on the variator.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:08 am

What!! you changed the belt and didn't use a Honda belt? I'd say that's the problem.

The OEM Honda belt is specifically designed for the variator faces as well as the correct length. And when the belt wears it causes problems like slipping, etc. Even then it is difficult to discern the worn belt from a new one. And that wear may only be 1mm or 2mm difference.

I can't imagine Gates manufacturing a belt that could accurate substitute for the correct Honda belt. Maybe that Gates belt would work in an emergency, but it would be a bodge job at best.

The correct Honda belt isn't cheap, but suck it up and buy the right one. Then your 24gm sliders will show you the performance you're looking for.

All that said, perhaps you could share the Gates Belt part number with us. There may be others here who could benefit from that information.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:34 am

The Gates belt I have as a spare (bought in UK) says 9802-41804.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 10:32 am

bikerboy wrote:
The Gates belt I have as a spare (bought in UK) says 9802-41804.

That Gates part number is specific only to the Honda Silver Wing 600. I would think Gates is perfectly capable of producing a belt to the exact Honda specifications, so your slippage problem is likely related to one of the other suggestions, although it is possible (likely?) that the slippage you have experienced already has damaged your Gates belt.
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 10:42 am

Same here 9802-41804, I bought the belt at Wemoto

I guess i have a job for tomorrow Smile.
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 11:17 am

When I think about it it's not likely that it's coming from the belt because the V-Belt indicator didn't turn on and I know for a fact that it's working because four weeks ago the V-Belt indicator turned on and that was the reason (and km's) I changed the belt.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Gyro wrote:
That Gates part number is specific only to the Honda Silver Wing 600.

It does not look like the Gates belt is available in the US.
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi,
Today I finally go the time to service my Silver wing, my intention was to check the Sliders, Bolts and clutch bell and if there was any oil in the variator.
The bolt was secured tightly, the sliders was in place no oil was in the variator but when i took apart the rear pulley and clutch i discovered the problem...
In the pictures you can see all the dust collected in the clutch bell but this was only 1/3 of what was in there...most of it fell off when i took the clutch out.

So, i think that the clutch didn't grip when i pushed the throttle because of all the dust.

Clutch problem? Photo_14Clutch problem? Photo_15Clutch problem? Photo_16Clutch problem? Photo_17Clutch problem? Photo_18
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 1:56 pm

I believe that is dust from the belt making its way in there, how many miles has it done since it was last cleaned out. You may be close to needing a new belt.

Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 4:22 pm

[quote="Ofer Rothmann"]Hi,
Today I finally go the time to service my Silver wing, my intention was to check the Sliders, Bolts and clutch bell and if there was any oil in the variator.
The bolt was secured tightly, the sliders was in place no oil was in the variator but when i took apart the rear pulley and clutch i discovered the problem...
In the pictures you can see all the dust collected in the clutch bell but this was only 1/3 of what was in there...most of it fell off when i took the clutch out.

So, i think that the clutch didn't grip when i pushed the throttle because of all the dust.[quote]

That is clutch pad 'dust'. However your clutch pads look to be in good condition. I would blow everything out with compressed air and then use some coarse sand paper to roughen up the pads.

Unless you are riding in a lot of stop & go traffic you might want to consider switching to Malossi clutch springs (white). The Malossi clutch springs are 'stronger' and will allow the Silverwing to rev slightly higher (closer to the power band) before the clutch engages. They won't, however, allow your clutch to grip any tighter the way a Dr Pulley HiT Clutch will.

And, oh yeah, be sure to grease that internal needle bearing in the clutch outer.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 pm

RArch wrote:
I believe that is dust from the belt making its way in there, how many miles has it done since it was last cleaned out. You may be close to needing a new belt.

I bought the Silver wing 2nd hand and drove it 20,000km.
When i drive to work in the morning i do drive a lot in a stop-go traffic so i guess that the main reason for the wear of the belt.
I never cleaned the clutch bell and I replaced the belt few weeks ago.

And i did greased the bearings before i closed everything.

Thanks everyone for your help Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clutch problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch problem?   Clutch problem? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch problem?
Page 1 of 1