Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack

Go down 
+3
tinman
tankyuong
midlandchip
7 posters
AuthorMessage
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-11-21

Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack Empty
PostSubject: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 10:34 pm

A friend has been helping me with some of the routine maintenance on my bike. Later this summer we are going to try to remove the wheels, front and back, and have new tires put on. We would like to lift the bike to remove the wheels but are not sure we can jack the bike up using a motorcycle jack without damaging any of the body parts that extend partway under the bike. Have any of you tried to lift the SilverWing with a motorcycle jack?

I'm a little unsure of this because a couple years ago I tried to lift the front of my bike with a small car jack so the front tire would be off the ground during winter storage. I actually cracked the left undercover in the process - the panel under the floorboard. That had to be replaced.

I'm a little nervous about putting anything under the bike and then applying upward pressure on body parts.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:06 pm

dont use it, use a regular car jack. the center stand will be high enough for rear wheel replacement. as for the front, use the car jack to jack up the metal bar underneath the bike in the center
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:20 pm

using a motorcycle jack does not work well with swing .to lift the front wheel with motorcycle jack I put a 2x4 across the jack arms to spread the weight then lift the front wheel 1/4" of the ground.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:30 pm

We placed three 2 x 4's and a 4 x 4 where the bottom is flat towards the front of the bike to change the tire while it was on the center stand. I slid the wood under the bike while Bob lifted the front end. Worked for us.

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Cathy,how long will it take for Bob to get there to lift the front end? Smile Seriously, if you type "jack" into the search box (upper left), you should find your information. One even has pictures. cheers
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi Yo,

Thanks for the tip good to know the position for the jack stand. The wood was no problem. Didn't damage the bike. Took no time to place the wood and lift the bike. Smile We did this a couple of times to change out the tires. I'm on my fourth set.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 3:57 am

Plastic on SilverWing is very expensive----I used 12" x 12" piece of plywood and floor jack is gently raise front wheel only enough to roll it out. Consider removing fr fender to make deal easier,, remove brake caliphers.

of course bike should be on centerstand to do all of this.

Rear=no jack needed, follow shop manual procedures---have spare exhaust packing (gasket on hand) as with highmiles and often removals it can go bad.

So wheel removal on SilveWing is pretty much a one wheel at a time deal.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 9:24 am

I have used my jack three times and never broken anything.
To make it a little more secure once up hi enough, I may use tie downs but only because we have earthquakes here in California. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 9:45 am

I screwed 2 eye hooks to the ceiling and use ratchet straps and secure to the hand rail from falling of the jack.It is handy for installing and removing my trike kit.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Tire jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 9:51 am

I tried that and ended up pulling out half the sealing in my garage. Never did that move again. See, even old farts can learn new tricks.
PS that is the name of my ridding club too. OFMC old farts motorcycle club and in 2 hr we are going to a place called Pine Mountain. I nice long ride. bounce
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack   Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:54 am

You need to screw it to the roof truss Razz
Back to top Go down

Lifting the bike on a motorcycle jack
Page 1 of 1