Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat Locking

Go down 
+13
Gyro
DarthJ
MikeO
Scoundrel
toolboxjesse
Meldrew
john grinsel
dspevack
tarmacburner2
Colin B
exavid
RArch
hotwings
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Seat Locking - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 am

First topic message reminder :

I wish there was a way to open the seat without always using a key. Its a pain when the bike is running/warming up only to hear the wife say "oh i forgot to get my gloves out". I have to shut the bike off to get the key to open the box. Wouldnt it be nice to be able to unlock the box and from then on just push a button or something to open it. No messin or fumblin with a key. Wonder if theres a way to modify the lock or something? I have an extra key i could designate for a seat opener but it would be nice not to have to.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:28 am

How many folks here keep the left side glove box locked? I almost never lock it. There was a cool mod someone had done where they sawed off a key and attached a plastic knob to it. That would work great for the trunk too.

Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:39 am

I keep the left-side box locked. That's where I carry my registration and insurance papers!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:49 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
How many folks here keep the left side glove box locked? I almost never lock it. There was a cool mod someone had done where they sawed off a key and attached a plastic knob to it. That would work great for the trunk too.

I remember that mod too, they used a plastic knob off off a hi-fi unit or similar.

I keep my left side glovebox locked, on this side of the Pond we're not bothered about our Silver Wings being uncool to steal and it affecting a scumbags street cred. A sat nav or an expensive pair of gloves going walkabout from my unlocked glovebox would piss me off.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Likewise,

Mine is always locked when I'm off the scoot. It is the handy place to store a Sat Nav or PDA.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I never lock the cover where the amp for my audio system is keep all the time .At home my swing is always in garage with door open in the day time , I would think twice if I lived in a largely populated city.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Some people have to take more precautions than that. I suppose it is a sign of the times. At one time up here in the North of England, people never locked their doors, and people were free to wander in and out. Nowadays if you see someone you don't know walking up your driveway you are put on the defensive, is it a thief casing the joint, a conman wanting to sell you something you don't need at an inflated price, a distance relation hoping to borrow money, etc.

Be thankful you live in such a good area.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm

All I ever store in that pocket is a pair of gloves or a 1 Liter bottle of Diet Mtn Dew. (Perfect fit!)

I figure if someone steals either of them, they must have needed them a lot more than I do. In fact if they stole some gloves they would be doing me a favor by reducing my ridiculous collection of gloves. I bought a pair last week because you could use the finger tips on a touch screen. Srsly.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 5:35 pm

You are completely missing the point. You may keep only worthless stuff in your seat/glove box, but some of us may store things of greater value.

Therefore, I'd rather not make it easy for the scum of the earth to acquire it.

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Colin B wrote:
You are completely missing the point. You may keep only worthless stuff in your seat/glove box, but some of us may store things of greater value.

Therefore, I'd rather not make it easy for the scum of the earth to acquire it.

I think you are the one completely missing the point! Because someone modifies a lock (maybe by leaving a key in the hole) and displays it to the world by using a lazer light show to get everyones attention to look at the modified lock, that doesnt mean your lock will be compromised!
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:12 am

This thread began inviting discussion about opening the seat WITHOUT A KEY.

hotwings wrote:
that doesnt mean your lock will be compromised!

It could if someone publishes the method on here!

Do you ever use combination locks? Maybe on a gate, outbuilding, or perhaps a safe.

Would you display your codes on a forum? I'd be amazed if you did .... or would I? Suspect

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 4:32 am

MOD HAT ON:

Conventional wisdom is that we ask ourselves, Will this help a thief?

In this example, if the post is about for instance the desire to replace a key cylinder with a push button or bypass for example, then this would not help a thief, because the work is already done for him. He walks up to the bike and pushes the button. Even if he were on this forum he wouldn't learn anything except that you have a vulnerable bike. If you are willing to talk about that, perhaps a thief with a lot of time might discern where you live and rob you, but the choice to give him the information that you were vulnerable, was yours to begin with.

If you are asking HOW to replace a key cylinder it gets a little more complicated. If you are explaining how to do it when you have access to the open compartment, that is acceptable. If you are explaining how to do it when you are locked out, then that is not appropriate for open forum.

WHY? You are talking about how to get the lock open without a key, thus teaching a thief to bypass security measures, and that answer should not be posted in open forum. If you need that information you can ask publicly but answer it via PM.

Asking questions like this will be looked upon with suspicion until you have proven yourself a valuable member of the forum, and we should all be wary of a new poster that asks such questions. It would not be unheard of for a thief seeking information to join a forum to get it.

MOD HAT OFF:
Back to top Go down
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 8:24 am

Here's a cool solution to the seat lock problem, unfortunately the video is in Italian but you can see that Givi makes a remote seat latch for the Silverwing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_X3vxOs350&list=PLTAjGIWelC0oTLT7wy7IuviOHwZDxmiLS

Gary
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 8:54 am

ScootRGuy wrote:
Here's a cool solution to the seat lock problem, unfortunately the video is in Italian but you can see that Givi makes a remote seat latch for the Silverwing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_X3vxOs350&list=PLTAjGIWelC0oTLT7wy7IuviOHwZDxmiLS

Gary

I am not sure if those 'clicks' were actually Italian!

The givi kit I think is for a topbox
http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/product/5311/givi-e113-remote-control-lock-unlock-feature-for-e55-top-case-#top

I like the idea of the button that only works with the ignition on. I don't think that is part of the kit as it needs to be hard wired. I would try and find a less conspicuous place for it.

Note that the scooter had a pannier rack (unfinished) on the left hand side.

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info for topbox kit.)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:10 am

That remote seat gadget is for the newer Silver Wing SW-T not the FJS/FSC models we have, and the pannier rail is the Givi T222, the side case holders for the SW-T.

You're welcome. Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:37 am

Meldrew,

Translation of 'Come sfruttare il telecomando GIVI (che serve per i bauletti), per sbloccare la sella.'

is 'How to use the remote control GIVI (which is for the top cases), to unlock the seat.'

The box does appear to show a Maxia. I think it is a case (no pun intended) of Italian flair and ingenuity at work.

Do you know if the SW-T seat lock is electrically operated?

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:46 am

I've no idea mate, I was more impressed by that Italian bloke in the YouTube video being able to close the seat on the SW-T with one finger rather than using his poncey remote. Smile
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:16 am

I was studying the lock mechanism of the seat as to why it seems i always had to use one hand to push the seat down at the rear lock (to relieve the latch pressure) while turning the key with the other hand. With the seat open and using a screwdriver to close the latch i discovered the "shoulder" of the lock mechanism was not quite releasing. I filed the offending part down (very little filing required). Now the seat unlatches beautifully just by turning the key. What a welcomed difference!
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:01 am

I have no problem in unlocking my seat with the key but it does need a very firm push down to lock it.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 12:58 pm

I removed all the Greece and bent the lock so the cable would no be so loose,and open the second lock easier .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat Locking   Seat Locking - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat Locking
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2