Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Intermittent starting problem

Go down 
+4
rjdoles
tinman
Colin B
Hants_Swing
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Hants_Swing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-04-17

Intermittent starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 am

Hi all. I had my bike serviced a few weeks ago. Since then I've had a problem where I've stopped, either at a destination or for fuel, and the bike won't start.

Normally when you turn the ignition key you get a brief whining noise; I'm not sure if this is the fuel pump, the ECU, or some other electrical device. The symptom for my not starting problem is that I don't hear the noise. Everything else comes on correctly: the gauges do the self test thing and all the lights and accessories work, but when you pull the brake and hit the start button, nothing happens.

The first time it happened was at a fuel station. I called the RAC and between us we traced all the starting interlocks (rear brake, kill switch, kick stand) and they seemed to be fine. I got the RAC to take the bike back to a friend's workshop, where the act of checking the fuse boxes seemed to clear the problem...

The second time was this week and the bike is now stuck in the garage at my office which (long story) is 100 miles from home. No amount of fuse box checking has cleared the problem.

So any ideas? Does anyone have a wiring diagram that I could use to check out the ignition circuitry? And finally, does anyone know a mechanic in the Stevenage, Biggleswade area that they would trust to come and take a look?

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:47 am

You are squeezing the brake lever VERY hard, aren't you? I fell foul of this little Honda trick (with much embarrassment) when I collected my new Swing a few weeks ago.

Listen for the second micro-switch to click.

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but best to start with the simplest test first.
Back to top Go down
Hants_Swing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:51 am

Yes! After the first time it happened I visited this forum and saw all the comments. It's definitely working - we checked that the switch is making properly and the amps are getting through. I agree that simple is good - it's usually the obvious that gets overlooked... Thanks.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 7:38 am

Check your side stand switch,Swing wont start with side stand engage or switch might be defected .If you don't hear the fuel pump it can also be the kill switch not making contact ,corrosion can cause these switch to malfunction .Try some contact cleaner.
Back to top Go down
Hants_Swing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks tinman - much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 9:31 am

I found this schematic on the Internet. I believe that the descriptions are in German but a schematic is a schematic.

Moderator removed photo of Honda's copyrighted schematic

I hope that it us useful.
Back to top Go down
Hants_Swing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 9:34 am

Excellent! Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 pm

You don't use Handlebar muffs do you?? I found the same kind of thing happened once or twice if i overtightened mine. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hants_Swing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 12:40 pm

No I don't have bar muffs (although I have thought about them a lot over the winter...). Thanks
Back to top Go down
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Sorry to hear you are having such a confusing and disabling problem.

Not necessarily the same, but I did have a very similar issue with my previous Honda SH300i.

Problem eventually traced to large fuse UNDERNEATH the battery - missed on many previous searches and tests of all other fuses by me and many others!!

My afflictions were either at petrol stations or supermarkets until the cure was found (re-seating the dratted thing was all that was needed).

Good luck and wishing you an early cure. Do let us know the outcome.

Regards

Clive from Hertfordshire
Back to top Go down
Hants_Swing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 9:47 am

Hi everyone - I thought I'd let you know how this worked out.

A friend and I stripped the fairing off the bike so we could see and get to all of the electrics. We found a couple of loose wires and replaced a couple of connectors. But, still no joy.

So we worked through the ignition circuit and all the breakpoints, testing all the switches, relays etc as we went. Eventually, repeated switching of the kill switch led to the bike making all the normal noises when you switch it on. So we stripped the kill switch (pulled it apart completely) to find it was filthy and full of grease from the throttle cable.

5 minutes of gentle cleaning and de-greasing and things were back to normal...

It took a couple of hours to get there, but we know it's fixed now, and we learnt a lot about stripping the bike down and putting it back together as well.

I then blasted the 100 miles home in record time Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:34 am

Good work, and a ride into the bargain.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:52 am

applause cheers
Back to top Go down
Hants_Swing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:05 am

And of course tinman you were right on the money with the kill switch!
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks very much for letting us know, I'm sure the info will help someone else again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intermittent starting problem
Page 1 of 1