Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I sure appreciate this forum

Go down 
+10
tarmacburner2
Pastor Ron
MTFastHounds
Meldrew
The Scootist
billc.
tinman
RamblinRedhead
CathyN
jobo2mi
14 posters
AuthorMessage
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

I sure appreciate this forum Empty
PostSubject: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 5:15 pm

It is time to bring out the Wing and see if he'll start up .... alas, nope .... so I need to put the charger on the battery .... silly me could not even FIND the battery till I came on the forum and searched it .... I do not have an owners manual and I forgot where the battery is since two years ago (getting old, don't ya know Wink ) With the help of the Search function, I found it, and have the batt hooked up to the charger. Now just have to quell the impatience and let it charge a while!!

I am NOT a wrencher, but knew battery is easy .... just had a brain blowout about WHERE it is!! DUH!! Embarassed

Might even be able to RIDE it in another week or so .... snow is gone, but Im a wimp on first ride of the season in the cold!! I want it over 60 to ride, or at LEAST in the 50s, and we aren't getting that yet Sad Soon, soon ... once I'm back on two wheels, I won't be so wimpy and will ride in cooler temps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Jo,

Glad you will be riding soon. I got out this past weekend, total of 90 miles between the two days. It felt good. Last time I rode was Dec. 4th. Hope to take the Swing to work tomorrow if it isn't to cold in the morning.

We will plan on meeting sometime this season.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 6:06 am

It's not even in the 30s in the morning here!! That is too darn cold for me! I can ride with the ride chill when the temps are >45 in the morning ... usually it is at least in the 60s when it's mid 40s in the morning ... less than that, I just can't deal with the cold! Sad Sure was hard to just sit and let 3B run for awhile and charge. Soon soon soon soon soon .... I keep telling myself that .... soon soon soon

Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-03-14

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 7:21 am

I just recently found this forum, and have been having a BLAST exploring it, and learning things!

Riding season is about to get in full swing for me - I ride a bit in the cold months, but not every day. Once I get back in the swing of things, I try to commute nearly every day. Not so much this week, twisted my ankle on Sunday, so have been giving it some time to get stronger (not my planting foot, but like to have the otion to use eithert or both feet at times).

I've been looking for a new riding suit - won a new Aerostich on Ebay last night! It's RED!!!!!!! My old one, which is 3 sizes too big on me since losing a lot of weight several years ago, is a nice understated grey. So the red will be a big change! Can't wait to get it, and get some good riding in to break it in nice and proper!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 8:04 am

Glad to see you appreciate this forum.If you don't like your new suit,there is a apple recipe that will help to fit into your old suit. Smile
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 am

Just curious, Red, How do you win an Aerostitch outfit on ebay? That is AWESOME! billc.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am

Billc:
When you "win" on Ebay, that means that you bid the highest amount for the item that was for sale.
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Yes, I "won" an auction. So I get to send a lot of money to this guy, and he sends me his Stich suit. But at least it's a whole lot less than buying a new one. Also, I will now sell my old huge (for me) suit, and recoup some of my money. I may try to sell mine on craigslist, before listing it on Ebay. It's several years old, but still has a lot of life left in it. They pretty much last forever.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 3:03 pm

I suppose I could have sold my Aerostich Roadcrafter two-piece on eBay but I gave it to a local charity shop a few days before I moved home home last month. I know the 'Stich is like an unofficial uniform for hard touring types in the US but I didn't really rate mine. and I bought it in 1990 when they were very rare in the UK, and very expensive to import. I think I've only seen half a dozen in the UK and Europe wearing them over the years.

I didn't think my suit was all that windproof or warm without another insulating layer underneath, and it didn't ventilate that well in hot weather either. The Temperfoam foam pads could tear when removing to wash the suit, and the back protecter was uncomfortable. I had to sent the pants back to Aerostich in Duluth to get the connecting zipper to the jacket replaced, and the Velcro closers on the jacket pockets became useless and I had replace them with new Velcro.

Other than that it was an OK touring suit, but not the "Swiss Army knife of touring suits” it's made out to be. I keep looking out for Olympia gear when I'm in the US and when I find a dealer stocking it, they never have what I want in stock, or in my size.

Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm

My first gear was an Olympia jacket I also got on eBay! It was tight on me, and the sleeves were too short, but it was really, really well made. If it had fit, I never would have tried the Aerostich, but at the time, it was one of the few types that came in long sizes, which worked better for my arms and legs.

Eventually, I got the Aerostich one-piece - never have worn either the two-piece or the Dariens, just the one piece, which I have loved. I do wear layers under it in cold weather, I like to layer with lots of thinner pieces, to get things just right, and then add or subtract layers as needed. I always found the wind resistance to be okay, except I do like to add some extra cover in the neck area, like a fleece gator, and I added gloves with gauntlets to keep air from getting in at the cuffs.

For hot weather, the one-piece always vented great for me, perhaps maybe better than for most because it was very large on me. I've never had any problems with the foam pads, but never wash my suit much. I let the rain rinse off the exterior, and always had layers underneath to keep the interior from getting too funky (then again, maybe that's why people leave me alone Wink )

I've never had the optional back protector for my suit. I don't know about the two-piece suits, I've never known anyone who has one. The Darien jacket and pants just didn't appeal to me. I got the one-piece because I found a killer deal on it almost new on craigslist several years ago, and never regretted it. I have a mesh jacket and pants for really hot days when I commute - but for the highway, I only feel safe in the suit, and it vents well for me at cruising speeds. I always wondered if the two-piece would vent as well - apparently it might not, from what you say.

I don't know about comparing them to a Swiss Army knife (I do carry one of those). I like the abrasion resistance of the suit, I love being able to ride in torrential downpours if I want or need to. I love the pockets. For me, it's just the most adapatable thing I've found for most riding I do. I've had mine for over 5 years, and all my zippers are still perfect. The only thing that shows the suit's age is the flaking of the reflective striping, which seems to happen on the older suits. My suit has been down pretty hard once (with me in it), and it saved my sorry hide - it has some tiny scuffs on the one leg from that day. So it did do the job when I hit the pavement and slid. I love it most of all fort hat.

Also, people have assumed I am:

1. An alien from the planet Zorgon (the helmet hair doesn't help me here)
2. An astronaut (several children have asked me if I am, I always say yes)
3. a person who trains attack dogs for the Norfolk Police Force
4. an agent with the CIA (I just smiled mysteriously and neither confirmed or denied)
5. going skiing (this from a person in a little town on the eastern coast of North Carolina, which has neither hills, or snow)

I don't think anyone has ever seen me in my big flappy suit, and thought I looked like some hard-core iron-butt touring person. They mostly just seem amused with me. I have had a lot of fun with it - it is quite the icebreaker. Also with it being so large, I can go to the grocery store, and buy lots more than fits under the seat, and just stuff the extras in the top half of my suit. Then people definitely know I'm a female rider.... Smile
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Got my first-ride-of-the-season anxiety taken care of!!! WOOOO HOOOOO Just a 7 mile jaunt around the block, but that's enough to get my nerves to settle down again. Oh what a sweet machine .... purrs like a kitten, handles like a dream ... COME ON WARM WEATHER (It's 55 this afternoon, but it's not even 30 in the morning Sad ) Soon soooonn soooooonnnnn ssssssssooooooonnnnnn!!!! Smile

Last edited by jobo2mi on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Hey Jo,

Congrats on your first ride. Didn't ride to work this morning was 32 with a wind chill of 26. I wimped out. Real nice now. Problem being it's rush hour. It's one thing coming home from work but to jump back into it once your home is not a pleasant ride. I would rather wait and go later with Bob. If the temps stay up.

Red,

I have an Olympia AST 2 jacket and Firstgear pants for the colder weather. And an Olympia Moab mesh and Recon 3 mesh pants for the hot weather.
I like both they work well for me.

Bob has had the Darian Jacket and Pants for several years and likes them. They are getting worn though. He has a Roadcrafter one piece suit that he sent back because of the fit. He's only used it about 5 times if that. Just doesn't fit right. He had it sized up in Duluth. He is planning on putting it on EBay or Craigslist. It still needs to be broken in.

This forum has helped me out plenty of times. Thanks everybody. Smile
Back to top Go down
MTFastHounds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-11-23

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 am

I have been riding off and on through the winter - as long as it was in the 20s, forecasted to be warmer and the roads were clear! I have a 2.5 mile ride through town so don't get too cold in the morning. I go home at lunch so usually ride 10 miles back & forth to work.

Jo - are you on ScooterDiva too? I think I have seen your avitar there!
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:53 am

In 2007 I purchased a GUIDE GEAR snowmobile one piece suit off Sportsmans Guide site...it has 100% nylon outer shell,100% Polyester lining,70% Down,30% Polyester fill blend....cost about $60.00; and I DO NOT WEAR ANYTHING ELSE UNDER OR OVER IT and I have drove in 14 below weather !

Snowmobile riders use this quite often.

I too was able to use my swing on my route last Monday...put in about 100 miles that day!
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:10 am

MTFastHounds - Yes I am a Scooter Diva! Smile

Next week is supposed to be wet, but if it dries out end of week and temps stay up, I may be riding to work again. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:51 am

Pastor Ron wrote:
In 2007 I purchased a GUIDE GEAR snowmobile one piece suit off Sportsmans Guide site...it has 100% nylon outer shell,100% Polyester lining,70% Down,30% Polyester fill blend....cost about $60.00; and I DO NOT WEAR ANYTHING ELSE UNDER OR OVER IT and I have drove in 14 below weather !

It may be warm but it's hardly qualifies as ATGATT, and by going commando it's bound to be a bit stinky and have a skid mark or two in it by now. You don't drive a Silver Wing mate, you ride it! Neutral
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Think what you will....I clean my clothing.....and believe it or not, I do the driving
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Whilst it is more common to say 'ride' than 'drive' it is actually correct to say 'You drive a bike' (But it does sound stupid though).

You have a 'Driving Licence' that covers all vehicles. You aren't issued with a 'Riding Licence' when you pass your test on a bike.

You do however 'ride a pushbike'.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 4:00 pm

So you ride wearing a snowmobile suit wearing nothing under it, what do you do when you spend some time in a heated shopping mall, coffee shop, or diner etc? You can't take your suit off, you can maybe undo the zips at the wrists and on the legs, but as you're butt naked underneath you can't undo the main zip down to the crotch, so you sweat your bollocks off instead. Good choice. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 4:12 pm

The reason he drives is scooter I believe he has a trike attach to his swing.If my memory serve's me right.So it don't ride like a 2 wheeler swing.
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks Meldrew, for finding the words others were trying to find ...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 4:51 pm

My work here is done for the day! Smile
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Sorry for not making myself clear....I wear clothing....not a jacket or any other layers.
And no I do not have a trike.
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 am

I liked the racier version better.......
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:49 am

I don't know Red. The image of a skid mark in the seat of that suit spoiled it for me...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 11:21 am

I believe until the mid 20th century the underwear of choice for men in rural America was the one-piece red flannel union suit, complete with a one button drop seat at the back. It was not uncommon for the same suit to be worn all week, or even all winter! Shocked
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 am

Meldrew:
The fact that what you say may be true, doesn't make it right... No
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I believe until the mid 20th century the underwear of choice for men in rural America [color=darkred]was[/color] the one-piece red flannel union suit, complete with a one button drop seat at the back. It was not uncommon for the same suit to be worn all week, or even all winter! Shocked

What do you mean "Was"? I wear those still because I'm so cool. Cool
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 pm

:not worthy:
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 1:31 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
I'm so cool.

That's because the flap is open!

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Interesting this point of whether you ride, or drive. I always think ,you ride a horse, you ride a bicycle and you ride a motorcycle/Silverwing, mainly because you sit astride them. You sit in a car, van, lorry bus or any other vehicle i can think of, so you drive them. Although you steer a boat and "fly" a plane. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Some people have to much time on their hands....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I sure appreciate this forum   I sure appreciate this forum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I sure appreciate this forum
Page 1 of 1