Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Install New (different) Hand Grips

Go down 
+6
Pastor Ron
exavid
WingMan02
Meldrew
john grinsel
SylSki
10 posters
AuthorMessage
SylSki
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2013-03-11

Install New (different) Hand Grips Empty
PostSubject: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:48 am

The factory installed "Hand Grip's" for me are too small (diameter) for my long finger's and purchased Kuryakyn 7/8's Universal ISO-Grips. Has anyone dont this & what is your opinion of doing so? These grip's are chrome and rubber pattern giving a more grip ability and of course larger in diameter.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:07 am

What about the chrome part when rains?? could be slippery.

"over grips" can be found in most shops that deal with off road bikes---cheap slide on...Mine have lasted over 20,000 miles.

Also you can make own from AC foam pipe insulation.

Method for removal of old----cut off and throw away. New need to make sure they won't slip. Hair Spray/Gas/grip glue seems to work. Loose grips could kill you.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:10 am

There's a page of stuff on hand grips including Kuryakin if you use Search.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I installed the Kuryakyn flame grips, replacing the OEM grips. It is a lot wider than the factory ones. No problem with riding in the rain here in Hawaii. The grips have raised rubber.
Back to top Go down
SylSki
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Got the new grip's on along with the trickle charger connection. I know what the grip's are like, I had them on my X500 also and they sure are much more comfortable and grippy....if there is such a word !! Now awaiting my V46 Givi Mount Hardware due to come in tomorrow. At least the very cold weather give's me time to get all this done before the riding day's come.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 pm

I've had ISO grips on two of my Goldwings and really like them over the OEM ones. It takes less grip to hold the grip if you get my meaning. I really like the throttle boss that goes on the end of the throttle side grip. The rubber extending through the metal makes for good grip even when it rains. Also the weight of the metal grip obviates the need for grip end weights. The only down side is that some Kuryakyn chrome plating sometimes pits after awhile. I had one set of grips that pitted and one that didn't.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 pm

The cheapest (for me) was Grip-puppies...I am not sure on the spelling.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 3:49 am

I, too, found the grips too narrow for my comfort so inatalled Grip-Puppies; they did the trick for me although they're not to everyone's 'taste'.
I have bought another pair as I've failed to ask Laurie if her ex-Silverwing has them; I ordered them on Amazon uk and they arrived in two days.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:24 am

MikeO wrote:
I, too, found the grips too narrow for my comfort so inatalled Grip-Puppies; they did the trick for me although they're not to everyone's 'taste'.
I have bought another pair as I've failed to ask Laurie if her ex-Silverwing has them; I ordered them on Amazon uk and they arrived in two days.

I bought some but never put them on!! They're hanging around in a drawer somewhere!!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 5:06 am

If you find them I'll swap them for cash, Laurie! Smile
They don't last forever so I'll have a spare pair.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 6:13 pm

I too make my own grips out of 1" dark gray pipe insulation and fasten them with two cable ties. They cut down on vibration and feels like grabbing a fat banana instead of a hot dog.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Install New (different) Hand Grips   Install New (different) Hand Grips I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 8:53 am

There is a company called Hotgrips  
The grips are:
Slightly larger in diameter,
Can be up to 1' wider than current and still be used on our handlebars,
Heated.
If you are going to spend a decent amount of money on new grips,
why not add functionality for the $ ?
Back to top Go down

Install New (different) Hand Grips
Page 1 of 1