Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Drazor here I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drazor here

Go down 
+7
tarmacburner2
"Hi Yo"
Waspie
rjdoles
DarthJ
tinman
Drazor
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Drazor
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-02-17

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 am

Hi everyone,

First things first I've been riding for 4 years now, my main bike is a GSX-R600 SRAD (98-00).
Which is currently in for repairs after some blind idiot pulled out of their garage into me while i was driving past.

I recently bought a 2002 Silverwing 600, second hand with 82,000km on the clock and a few knocks. The guy said he'd dropped it, and I suspect maybe something more, but I couldn't pass on the £1000 price he was asking for... so I offered him £850 and he took it.

Now, how did i get here, you ask?

Don't get me wrong, the Silverwing is running like a dream and I was so surprised the machine started up so cleanly after so much mileage, that It gave me the idea of cleaning/spicing her up and maybe even doing some mods. So I've been searching the net for parts and accessories and kept finding myself back at this site and reading Silverwing owners advice since I'm no mechanic.

I've used many forums in the past, and I'm very computer literate, yet I'm surprised how popular this site is for Silverwing owners even today with the likes of social networking sites killing most forums these days, so I decided to finally sign up.

I'm new to Silverwing, and I'm even new to Honda Embarassed I've always had my GSXR aka gixxer.
I'd like to know if there are any nicknames for the Silverwing that you guys might know...

I'm also not sure how many of you own other motorcycles, so please by all means share the info in this post as its good to talk about and a great way to get to know each other.

I also already have some questions about my Silverwing, but I'll direct them to the other topics.

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 9:02 am

I call mine ( Precious) I always road cruisers , but bad knees force me to go with the Swing.Did not know it at the time that It would give me the grin of my life . You won't be sorry you got a Swing. Precious and I welcome you. swing
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 10:50 am

Currently ride a Honda Shadow and will be going to a Victory Cross Country Tour later. (Sorry Honda, Goldwing's a bit too expensive w/ABS)
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 11:12 am

Welcome!

I think that you will find quite a few members who have other bikes and scooters. My wife has an 05 250cc Reflex and I have an 05 750 Shadow Spirit and the 05 Swing. I started on a Cushman scooter some 50 years. The Shadow was probably my last motorcycle and I am planning on selling it this spring because I seldom ride it. I prefer the convenience and practicality of the scooters to a motorcycle.

I got my Swing last year for $2800 as a fixer-upper with 15,000 miles on it. It was in nice shape but it needed tires and was due for the 15,000 mile service. The estimate for tires and that service was about $1000 from the dealer. I ordered the service manual and while I was waiting on it, I discovered all of the great picture tutorials on this site. I did all the work myself from the tutorials before the manual arrived. I also changed and balanced the tires myself although I am not sure that I would care to do that part again.

While I had the transmission cover off to replace the drive belt, I also replaced the rollers in the transmission with 28g sliders. As you will soon learn, the weight of the rollers / sliders sort of determines the rpm that the transmission spools up from low gear to high gear. For the 28g weights, that is about 4500 rpm.

The good news is that a lighter weight causes this acceleration to occur at a higher rpm. Since the engine makes more power at higher rpm's, the lighter the weights, the faster the acceleration. I think that there are both roller and slider weights of 28, 26, 24, and 22 grams.

The bad news is that a lighter weight makes the scooter seem like it is always cruising around at a higher rpm. It is like being in second gear on a motorcycle all the time.

The difference between rollers and sliders is that with sliders, the slider shape provides a little lower gear ratio than the standard low gear with rollers. It also provides a little higher top gear than the standard top gear. Cruise rpm at 60 mph will be reduced about 500 rpm with sliders over the standard rollers.

This is probably too much information so I will say welcome again. I am sure that you will enjoy this site and one of the most reliable scooters on the market.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Welcome Drazor, visited Gib a few times during my global wanderings. Loved the caves - great time exploring them.

As for nicknames for the Silver Wing, I have only heard them referred to as either 'Wing' or 'Swing' (not to be confused with the 125cc S-Wing Honda scooter.)

Welcome again, loads of useful info, some with pictures thanks to JeffR and a few others.

welcome
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Drazor here 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 4:11 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Hello Drazor,

Welcome to the Silverwing world.

For me I would have to say that my Silverwing is probably now my main scooter. The other one is a Burgman 400. Two really different beasts but both are good fun.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Welcome !
Back to top Go down
Yaj
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Yaj

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-02-28

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 9:45 pm

My Helix got the name of "Geezer Cruiser" so I named the Swing the "Geezer Ninja"
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:37 am

welcome Hi Drazor, welcome to the forum.

My wife & I were down your way last week holidaying in Nerja, nr Malaga; a bit of a cold wind at times but nice & warm in the Sun - we even got a bit of a tan! sunny Sunshine & warmth ain't something we've experienced here at Commonwealth HQ for quite a while! Sad

As to knicknames: my 2008 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic is just called "The Harley" & my 2012 Silver Wing is "The Scooter" - not too innovative but avoids any confusion Exclamation Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drazor here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drazor here   Drazor here I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drazor here
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: