Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Intermittent failure of Head Light!

Go down 
+4
J.R.
model28a
Waspie
steveonfarm
8 posters
AuthorMessage
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-08-14

Intermittent failure of Head Light! Empty
PostSubject: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Dear Silverwingers,

I have another conundrum to put to you all Smile

What I thought was a blown headlamp bulb (dipped beam), turns out to be some kind of electrical fault!

Occasionally when I start my bike, and sometimes even when riding, my headlamp (dipped beam) fails to work. When this happens, I have made the following observations:-

The 2 small sidelights stay on

The trigger switch for the full beam bulb works but the main trip switch does not!! In fact my friend watching from an upstairs window says that both headlamp bulbs come on when I apply the trigger switch!!! But he may have been mistaken ........

All other lights are operating correctly

Any suggestions?

SteVe

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 3:46 pm

The obvious place to look is the light switch.

Now I will bow to more superior knowledge. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Try cleaning the contacts in the starter switch.
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Same experience with mine. Final result was that the bulb was not making a connection in the socket. Vibration over time seemed to be the problem. When I went to replace it the bulb came on. Hope this helps. J.R.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 1:25 am

My local (first class) spannerman recommended spraying WD40 over the switches, and then working them on and off a few times. Apparently it cleans off the contacts without the need for taking things apart. Quick,cheap fix, worked for me! Just remember to wipe eveything clean afterwards!

Graham
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:34 am

I'd go with the spray and wiggle routine before fiddling around with the bulb. Fiddling around in the confined space where the headlight bulbs are needs both patience and dexterity and a small torch and mirror are useful to have. I've found taking the rubber dust cover off rather fiddly if it's not been removed before, and spraying it with rubber lubricant makes it a lot easier to put back on and remove in the future.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Last year coming home in the dark my headlight bulb suddenly went out, the two sidelights were still on but no dipped beam, main beam still worked. in my case it was my recently fitted handle bar mitts which were somehow interfering with the trigger switch, which seemed to cut out the main dip beam. I would be looking at the trigger switch first if i were you. Smile
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Thank you so much everybody!!

Especially, Old Limey in Bolton who I think has nailed my problem!

I too use those excellent Italian muffs and my trigger switch has become sticky to the point where it almost stays on!!

Now where's that old can of WD40 ...................................... Smile

SteVe
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Nice, it sounds like an easy fix and thanks for letting us know.

Would it be worth spraying the switchgear once a year as a bit of preventative maintenance?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 pm

WD40, liquid maintenance in a tin. Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Thats what this site is all about. Helping each other, if possible from our experiances, i'm glad my contribution helped someone, just as Bigbird, Jeff and many others have helped me in the past.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 4:19 pm

RArch wrote:
Nice, it sounds like an easy fix and thanks for letting us know.

Would it be worth spraying the switchgear once a year as a bit of preventative maintenance?
Can't see why not, certainly wouldn't do any harm.
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 5:58 am

Quick update: A quick squirt of WD40 in and around the switching gear on the left handlebar seems to have completely cured this problem Smile

Thanks guys!

SteVe
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 9:55 am

steveonfarm wrote:
Quick update: A quick squirt of WD40 in and around the switching gear on the left handlebar seems to have completely cured this problem Smile

Thanks guys!

SteVe

I refer to my answer above!!!!

'maintenance in a tin'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent failure of Head Light!   Intermittent failure of Head Light! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intermittent failure of Head Light!
Page 1 of 1