Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Battery Chargers

Go down 
+4
MikeO
Meldrew
rodenbach
rjdoles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 7:03 pm

There are several threads on here where questions were asked about battery chargers for our bikes.

The service manual for my Honda Shadow states that the battery charger should charge at about 10% of the battery rating. Scooters and motorcycles all have similar charging systems and batteries so Honda's recommendation would probably work for all.

My Shadow battery is rated at 12 ampere hours. That means you should charge it at around 1.2 amps. I believe that my Swing battery is rated at 11 ampere hours so the charger should deliver around 1.1 amp.

I use the Battery Tender brand of battery charger. I would recommend any charger that is 1.5 amp or less and says that it is a float charger.

Float chargers are smart chargers. They have electronics in them allows them that charges the battery at the full rating until the voltage reaches 14 volts and then they switch to a lower output current to just maintain the battery. You can leave them connected indefinitely.

A standard battery charger will continue to charge the battery even after the battery is completely charged. This could result in the electrolyte being boiled out of the battery. Once the electrolyte level drops and the battery plates are exposed they begin to oxidize. That permanently lowers the output of the battery.

Standard chargers are fine if you connect them to a low battery overnight but don't leave them connected indefinitely.

Hope this helps.

Ride Safe!
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:33 am

Maybe a 'lazy' question, but can one charge the battery through the socket in the left hand 'glove box'? I.e. is this socket always 'on' or does it go with the ignition key?
I.m.h.o. it would be a lot easier to connect a float charger to this socket, rather than have to open the seat (with the courtesy light coming on...) and fiddle with the battery cover, etc...
In short: what is the easiest way to connect a charger to the Silverwing battery?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:39 am

I connect my Optimate by simply plugging it into the glovebox socket on my FJS model Silver Wing when it's parked up in my garage. On my previous two Burgmans I had to have leads fixed to the battery to use the Optimate.

Our US friends have the FSC variant of the Silver Wing that doesn't have a 12v socket in the left storage glovebox.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 am

The socket remains live when the key is removed from the ignition.
I have a small solar-charger plugged in as I'm not riding much at the moment and then only for short trips.

I think the very informative and useful post at the top suggests that one shouldn't try a powerful boost charge through the socket but gentle ones are okay (I stand to be corrected).

I suspect in the UK we'd call it a trickle charge.

I have an Optimate charger which is fine for the purpose.

Edit: Meldrew slipped his post in as I was typing - I concur with what he says as well as adding my own bits. Wink
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:55 am

MikeO wrote:
Edit: Meldrew slipped his post in as I was typing - I concur with what he says as well as adding my own bits. Wink

Sorry boss, just being polite and helpful as usual. Smile

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 7:01 am

LOL!
I had to rearrange my wording: I nearly said, 'slipped in his own post'. Razz
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 7:53 am

Many thanks to Meldrew and MikeO.
I've been googleing to find out about the Optimate 4, looks like a very usefull tool to keep the battery in shape.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 am

My 2012 has a 12 volt installed but it is NOT live but switched No It would not have been my choice but it is what it is... On my KLR I had leads for the battery tender installed on the battery, they are now installed on the battery of the Wing, under the seat. Makes for a very easy charger/tender hook up!
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Charger connections   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 9:42 am

The North American Silverwing doesn't have a 12v socket so I can't comment on those.

The Battery Tender Junior chargers that I purchased come with two sets of cables that are about 18" long. One cable set has one red and one black jumper cable style clamps on the one end, the other cable set has a red and a black ring terminal on the one end. The other end of both cable sets has a polarized quick connect plug that mates to the 6' cord from the charger. The quick connect assures that you can't connect the charger backwards.

I hook up the ring terminal set directly to the battery posts and locate the loose end where it is accessible for an easy hookup.

On my Shadow, I tuck the loose end of that cable under the left side cover. On our Majesty, it was in the underseat storage. I think that the underseat storage would work well with the Silverwing also.

Ride safe!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 am

rjdoles wrote:
The North American Silverwing doesn't have a 12v socket so I can't comment on those.

On our Majesty, it was in the underseat storage. I think that the underseat storage would work well with the Silverwing also.

Ride safe!

My 2012 had the pop out for the plug but was a dealer installed option. And yes my Pigtail works great under-seat...
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 3:20 pm

I use the CTec battery tender on my bike and car after my Optimate gave up the ghost! I attach the unit to the battery via the leads that come with the tender.

No complaints thus far!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 4:39 pm

rodenbach wrote:
Many thanks to Meldrew and MikeO.
I've been googleing to find out about the Optimate 4, looks like a very usefull tool to keep the battery in shape.

I would certainly recommend the Optimate 4, certainly keeps my Wing's battery in good order! Smile
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Optimate for me too,for the past 10 years for both bikes and a Black & Decker for my car.Optimate states for 30 Ah batteries max
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battery Chargers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Chargers   Battery Chargers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Chargers
Page 1 of 1