Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Where does the silverwing come from????

Go down 
+15
model28a
"Hi Yo"
jobo2mi
jmaslak
Windrider
DarthJ
moosedaisy
john123
Silverwing28681
Waspie
GHM-PM
Dimond
Atrick
DennisB
marco
19 posters
AuthorMessage
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Where does the silverwing come from???? Empty
PostSubject: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:58 am

I know honda's are manufactured all over the world, the hornet and cb1000r in italy, the transalp in spain then italy when the Montessa factory closed, and the cbf 125 in india, cg 125 in Brazil, ect ect, but where is the silverwing made???? does anybody know?? Question
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 10:02 am

Hi Marco,

The first two letters are the key as to where your Silverwing was manufactured.

Check this thread out.

http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN/Where-is-my-car-or-truck-made.html
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 10:12 am

Well, thanks for the info, Dennis.

I've checked & mine was made in Japan: not surprising really as it's a right-hand drive model & of course, they drive on the left in Japan, the same as us here.... Wink :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:14 pm

The SilverWing comes from a 'SilverWing-ed Stork' - I thought everyone knew that!

PS - If you have not yet seen the 'Stork' SHORT on the DVD 'UP' (go to the special features part of the menu) - then check it out - it is hilarious! Well worth 6 minutes of your time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6Pe1ovKHg VIDEO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partly_Cloudy HISTORY

Last edited by Dimond on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Mine is JH so for sure Japan as is my wife's 2009 Metropolitan (JH also). Interesting thing is the 2013 Metropolitan is not a J VIN number; not sure what it was but did not start with a J.

The Honda 150 had a VIN that started with a Z indicating Italy or Slovenia...
Good link above; allows us to pin them down!!! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 4:06 pm

My 'Wing' came from under a gooseberry bush!!!!!

Honest! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Mine came from the rear end of a large truck!!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Mine no suprise Japan JH but my 150cc TaoTao is L9,,, No surprise there also !
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Another question that has come to mind, can you check year of manufacture, anywhere against the vin number??? so to check if your new s/wing is in fact a new s/wing. Question
and thanks for the info Dennis.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Where did the S/W come from?   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 4:26 pm

that is strange. I always thought it came from heaven. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 7:17 pm

marco wrote:
Another question that has come to mind, can you check year of manufacture, anywhere against the vin number??? so to check if your new s/wing is in fact a new s/wing. Question
and thanks for the info Dennis.

The 10th number of the vin is the year your scooter was built. I'm not sure if that answers your question.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 pm

You can look on the VIN sticker. My 2011 Shadow was built 7/11 (love it, maybe I'll name her Slurpee Laughing ) in Japan.
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 2:56 am

moose daisy, the 10th number or didget ???, cheers.
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 am

just checked on the internet, it is the 10th digit which tells which year, mine is 7 , on a new bike,!!! I was quite shocked at the thought of having an 07 model new in 2012, so I phoned my dealer who said,- the silverwing has been a FJ600A since 2007 , so honda dont progress the 10th diget because the model hasn;t changed. I would apreciate any information on this subject , as I hope my new silverwing isn;t five year old.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:46 am

My 08 has an 8 for the 10th digit
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 10:49 pm

marco wrote:
just checked on the internet, it is the 10th digit which tells which year, mine is 7 , on a new bike,!!! I was quite shocked at the thought of having an 07 model new in 2012, so I phoned my dealer who said,- the silverwing has been a FJ600A since 2007 , so honda dont progress the 10th diget because the model hasn;t changed. I would apreciate any information on this subject , as I hope my new silverwing isn;t five year old.

That doesn't sound right.

What does your paperwork say (bill of sale, title, registration)? They should have the real year on them (it's fraud if they don't).

There's also a sticker IIRC behind the front wheel above the radiator on the right side of the bike that has the year and manufacturing date on it. You'll have to crouch down in front of the bike and look past the wheel towards the cooling resevour to see it.

FWIW, my 10th digit is a "C" on my 2012.
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 am

no iirc label behind the front wheel, and believe me Ive checked, Ive found the VIN plate on the frame just in front of the exhaust down pipe, and also underneath that a lobe, on the bottom of the frame with the VIN stamped on it??
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:32 pm

This is the website I found to decipher your VIN number ... I think it works the same for scoots and MC as it does for autos and trucks ...

http://jalopnik.com/5165656/how-to-decode-your-cars-vin
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 am

thanks jobo, this site indicated the tenth digit to be the 'model year', which on mine is a 7, so I suppose if the model hasn;t changed, a 2012 bike will still have a 7 for itd 10th digit????,, confused!! Rolling Eyes
If the tenth digit on the vin is the year model, and not the year of manufacture, then Im happy.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Where does the silverwing come from???? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:44 am

Marco, The label on mine is above the tire on the right hand side. More on the inside of the fairing. Mine is a 2007 and the tenth diget is 7 and there is a large 2007 at the bottom of the label.
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Ive searched all inside the front wheel arch inner fairing, around the water top up tank, and all the inner fairing, no label, Sad
I had a great ride tonight on the SW, I love it to bits, so I'll not take it any further, my honda man says its a 600 A7, which is still in production but unchanged since ;07, so Ill take his word for it and get on with clocking up the miles with a big smile on my face, cheers for the replys everyone. Smile
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Do you have an O2 sensor on your exhaust?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 pm

marco wrote:
just checked on the internet, it is the 10th digit which tells which year, mine is 7 on a new bike. ,

marco I think you may want to check a little deeper in to the model year of your scooter. My 08 has an 8 for the 10th digit and I would think yours should indicate yours as a 2012. What color is your scooter? Is it black or is it dark metallic silver? I believe a 2012 is black and a 2007 is Dark Metallic Silver.
Hear is a link to a 2007 Silverwing, http://www.hondanews.com/channels/powersports-scooters-silver-wing/releases/2007-honda-silver-wing-abs-silver-wing-features and hear is a link to a 2012 Silverwing,
http://www.hondanews.com/channels/powersports-scooters-silver-wing-features/releases/2012-honda-silver-wing-features-and-benefits
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 6:37 pm

It could be new left over 2007 .
I don't there's any substantial differences between 2007 and the the 2012
models.
What year does it say on the owners manual that came with the bike ?
The model year would also be on your title and registration
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 7:39 pm

I agree it could be new left over 2007 and about all that I can think of that would be different is, O2 sensor, fuel mileage and of coarse Kelly blue book price. If I paid the price of a 2012 Silverwing and I got a left over 2007 I would be vary upset to say the least. That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen, especially hear in the USA.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 6:54 am

For what it's worth, I own a 2007 bought new in December 2011
The 10th digit in it's serial number is 7
I knew up front it was a left over and got a substantial price break over
the cost of a 2012 model from the dealer I purchased it from.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 8:29 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
Marco, The label on mine is above the tire on the right hand side. More on the inside of the fairing. Mine is a 2007 and the tenth diget is 7 and there is a large 2007 at the bottom of the label.

Mine is here as well and there is a large 2012 a the bottom; in addition in small print it lists manufacture date as 02/12.
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 11:20 am

thanks for the links rodger, Ive read them both, how do you tell the difference???. The first thing I checked was the oxygen sensor which is there. In the uk the black s/wing has been available since '08. There definatly isn't a label under the front wheel arch, and Ive checked very carefully with a torch, and there isnt any adhesive residue, or scratch marks telling me a label has been removed.
In the UK the reg/document only gives you the date of registration, and the VIN number. Honda dealer says its a new model, if an '07 and a '12 is the same, I have no way of being able to tell the difference. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 3:42 pm

I cant say anything about the UK but my 08 is Metallic Grey color and looks black with little metal flakes in it. I would someone from the UK would be of some help. Again I ask what color is yours?
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 4:08 am

sorry Rodger mine is black , listed by honda as 'pure black'.
Back to top Go down
Bobben
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 4:43 am

Hello.
If it have stock bridgestone tyres on it, you can look
at the production date on them to give you an idea
of when it was made.

Bob
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 5:41 am

My tenth digit is 5 and i have a 2005. I also have the VIN sticker underneath the front fairing that clearly states in big block numbers that its a 2005.
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 7:44 am

the tyre has no date, its a hoopHO2A, BO2, with a code TKA4111,which means nothing to me. Sad
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 1:14 pm

marco wrote:
the tyre has no date, its a hoopHO2A, BO2, with a code TKA4111,which means nothing to me. Sad

TKA = Plant where the tire was made IIRC (I might be wrong)

4111 = 41st week of 2011. That's about when my tires on my 2012 were made (mine are slightly, but only slightly, newer and IRCs - but the date is important).

I can't imagine anyone replacing the front tire on a left-over bike that isn't being ridden. I also can't imagine anyone putting the O2 sensor on it. So there's something different with your VIN than what others are seeing, but it might be a UK thing (you are sure it's the VIN, and not another number, right (it starts with a J, not an "H" like a part number does)? Maybe the UK doesn't let manufacturers market an unchanged model as a new model?
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:31 pm

jmaslak, bounce , thank you, at last. If the tyres are 2011, then thats the proof for me. The machine does look new, no fasteners or any metalwork has gone cloudy, two honda dealers have said its a 2007 model , but nothing has changed so machines being made now are 2007 models, the VIN is right the tenth digit gives the 'year model' not the year of manufacture', a third honda dealer told me today, if the machine is registered as a 2012 model , in the future it will be valued on the registration date, not the VIN date(10th digit).
The only doubt in my mind was the lack of IIRC label under the front wheel, which did worry me. Now Im satisfied, and wont take this any further, Ive been out on the s/wing today with the wifey on the back, we both loved it.
Thanks for everyones imput on this subject, the s/wing owners community are a friendly helpfull bunch. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 5:17 pm

At least you will be able to trade it in as a 2012 scooter! Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 5:53 pm

I may be wrong but! For we Brits, aren't we confusing date of manufacture with date of registration!!!

My 59 plated Wing was manufactured in 07. From what I have gleaned, there was quite a lull on buying compared to the numbers produced. Hence many 07 produced machines still being sold/registered several years later.

When I was sold my Wing in 2009 I was informed it was a 2007 machine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 5:57 pm

john123 wrote:
that is strange. I always thought it came from heaven. :lol!:
No silly, the swing is the illegitimate child of a one night affair between a Goldwing and a floosy crotch rocket.
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 5:33 am

I think the confusion was the tenth digit being 'year model' and not 'year of manufacture'.
I bought a hornet 900 about five years ago, it had been in the dealers warehouse for four years 'new old stock' they call it. I bought it as a new bike, but with a big discount, so I was happy with it. I dont think paying full retail price for 'new old stock' is fair.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 am

marco wrote:
I bought it as a new bike, but with a big discount, so I was happy with it. I dont think paying full retail price for 'new old stock' is fair.

I purchased my wife's Metropolitan in April; brand new with 1.4 miles on it but it is a 2009 model! Got a substantial discount so was happy PLUS the cool blue-white color scheme is no longer available and she loves that!

A local dealer in Phoenix has a NEW 2011 Silver Wing for $7395. MSRP was $9099 or so. Wish I had found it prior to buying my 2012 (sigh).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where does the silverwing come from????   Where does the silverwing come from???? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where does the silverwing come from????
Page 1 of 1