Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
tinman
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire Empty
PostSubject: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 am

So after 38000 miles on my original Sumitomo darkside tire it finally came time to replace it.

I removed the rear wheel off the SW and took it and the new Sumitomo to the same shop that mounted the original Sumitomo. A day later the guy called me to tell me that there was a "problem" and the tire couldn't get mounted.

The tire bead had been stretched & stressed so much during the attempt that the bead had been cut (or torn) by the tire machine. When they put pressure in the tire there were two large bubbles in the side wall --caused by air getting into the tire plies because of the bead tear.

Much to the shop's credit they admitted that it was their fault and ordered a new Sumitomo for me. When they made a second attempt to mount the new tire --and again using plenty of tire lube-- the same stress started to occur as the last 4 to 6 inches of tire was to be stretched over the rim. Not wanting to ruin another tire the guy stopped at this point and called me over to make the "Go / No Go" decision.

So my question here is what's the secret to mounting a Sumitomo tire? The SW wheel doesn't have the traditional deep set 'pocket' (like a car wheel) where the tire can set into while mounting. The shop has years of experience mounting both cycle & car tires and uses plenty of tire lubricant. And they have mounted most of my regular cycle tires as well as the first Sumitomo without any problems.

So, What's the "secret" to mounting a Sumitomo tire?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 12:46 pm

I would say the "secret" MC rims and car rims are not the same---there is SAE paper on this.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:08 am

I installed a 155 70 13 Hercules Raptis tr1.I watch them instal it and it was a easy fit . The bead seated with about 50 psi pressure.Before I had it installed, I compared it To the 175 70 13 new Walmart tire that I have and I notice that the Raptis was much more pliable and the rime more flexing to it.You could try the Hercules,5K and I have no regrets. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:29 am

I thought all the Darkside enthusiasts were going to play the game and chat about their car tyre fetish on that special section of the forum set up just for them. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:46 am

My question is ???? How come none of the car tire types never mount the tires themselves? Always seem they have somebody do it for them. And they do have their own "playground" where they can talk about how great a 2 wheeler handles with car tire...probably along with back rest/highway peg discussions.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 am

If you took the time to watch riding on the Darkside U tube video you would see that some do install there DS tire . Wy not install you own MC tire your self? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:26 pm

tinman wrote:
If you took the time to watch riding on the Darkside U tube video you would see that some do install there DS tire . Wy not install you own MC tire your self? Twisted Evil

If you go back to the days before tubeless tyres most riders removed and installed tyres to either fix roadside puncture or fit new tyres.

Tubeless tyres and puncture sealants removed the need for those skills. Back in my biking days I could remove the rear wheel from a BMW or MZ in a few minutes. To do so now on a Silver Wing I'd need a Honda Workshop Manual or a good Internet tuition session to know where to start.

Anyway I'm outta here now, and you know you should be talking Darkside stuff with the other members of the Flat Tread Sociey elsewhere. Neutral
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 4:25 pm

I agree with Meldrew----let the car tire people talk to themselves....maybe they should be working on producing closed ciruit lap times----car tire vs bike tires....wet and dry. With car tire being quicker, ha---remember I do have some care tire on bike experience---'56 bought '42 Harley WLA 45 with car tires mounted front and rear and my MZ Sidecar outfit with 15 inch 2CV tire, special rim, offset tube---great on outfit, but impossible to ride solo and against the law in Germany at the time.

As to doing own tire work---tubless require either compressor or air tank at home to get bead to seat. I do my own work--because I then know done right.

Agree with rear wheel removal ex. SilverWing/Burgman 400/helix, etc. Poor design dictates exhause system removal.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 2:27 pm

Oops. I thought I'd moved this thread to the right section.

I'll check and if it's there, lock this one.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 2:29 pm

This is the correct section for it.
If the shadow thread is still in existance, please ignore it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:54 am

So I am a little confused. If I decide to try a DS tire, who do I look for to install it? I will need a new tire in about 2K, and am not happy with the rear tire removal process but love the bike. I am assuming a m/c dealer would not be enthused about installing a car tire?

What would I search for? And no I do not have the tools to do the install myself... Thanks.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:36 pm

I get a one man auto tire shop ,he charge me $10.cash and$20. for tire balancing beads.A mobile service tire repair can go to your home and do the job there.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 4:10 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
I will need a new tire in about 2K, and am not happy with the rear tire removal process but love the bike. I am assuming a m/c dealer would not be enthused about installing a car tire?

What would I search for? And no I do not have the tools to do the install myself

First time I went to the Honda dealer (who has since closed down or as Honda rephrased it to moved to a different dealer ), I removed the tire myself.

I told the dealer that I would be willing to either pay in cash ( with no receipt ) or sign any exclusion that would like. I did not have to do any of them ... they mounted it without any problems or questions.

Same for the second Darkside tires.

I bought a Nomar Cyclehill Tire mounter, that I tried with the third Darkside tire ... could easily push the first bead on and had problems with the second bead. So I took it to the same dealer.

I have since figured out how to mounted it (same way as first bead ) by cutting wood blocks and holding them in place with a ratchet strap holding the bottom of the tire higher in the mount. Next time I will be mounting myself.
Back to top Go down
OLD HICKORY
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 7:38 pm

I also took my tire/wheel to a Honda dealer here in Nashville, Tn to install a car tire. They mounted and balanced mine but they did make me sign a waiver before sending me out the door. By the way, the tire was off a Honda Valkyrie, not a Silverwing. Same story though. Old Hickory
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I can find someone to mount one on my SWing.

One last question I am confused about. Can I mount one on my 2012 with ABS or not? I read comments elsewhere and still don't know for sure! If yes, does it have to be a certain size!!! Thanks for helping a newbee in this area.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:36 pm

yes on mounting a DS tire on ABS rim.Any make that you like,Personally I chose a 155 70 13 because it is the closest to the swing stock tire,and does not change the odometer reading . Other's like a 165 70 13 ,it is 10 millimetre wider .
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:14 am

GHM-PM wrote:
Can I mount one on my 2012 with ABS or not?

I have ABS and the ABS worked flawlessly when I braked on small pebbles ( like marbles ) that completely gave way with no signage or visible signs on a very hot date.

GHM-PM wrote:
If yes, does it have to be a certain size!!!

I believe the largest decision factor is your height.

The larger tire reduced the RPMs at higher speeds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire   Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Q?: How to mount a Darkside Tire
Page 1 of 1