Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brake fluid seepage

Go down 
+4
john grinsel
eddy
MarkB
DickO
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Brake fluid seepage Empty
PostSubject: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 am

Hi All,
Was strolling thru the garage today and noticed a "spot" underneath the front of my Swing this afternoon and thought, "that can't be... my SWing doesn't leak!". Anyway, after closer observance, I spotted what I assume to be, brake fluid hanging on the bottom of the piston assembly.

I have ABS, so there are three lines; the two brake lines and the ABS sensor all running together. I double checked the fluid lines to make sure that wasn't the problem and then followed the residual trail back up to a 3-clamp assembly that secures the 3 lines to the strut.

It "looks" like the fluid starts under the rubber grommets, which is strange. Cannot see any evidence of any fluid above that point. Anyone ever had any seepage or leakage in this area?? My brake reservoirs still show full except for the rh unit that has a small BB size bubble at the top; don't know if that is any indication of anything.

After wiping everything down, I took the bike out for a few hot laps around the property and worked the brakes pretty good. Nothing there now but will see what it looks like after setting awhile. Maybe the "setting" is the problem since it's been doing a lot of that lately what with all the hot weather I've chosen not to ride in. Am torn between just keeping an "eye" on it or just taking it in and letting the Honda folks work it over. Any Help???

Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:30 am

I'm not really mechanically savy myself (I'm ok with simple nuts and bolts and some electrical but that's about it.) however I would opt for a wait-and-see approach at first.

My thinking is that if you bring it to a shop they will likely find something wrong with it - so wait until you see a problem and can direct them to it.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 am

A leak on the brake system is a BIG problem.
During a stop, the leak can become wider by the pressure.
And than you are in real trouble.

Let fix it now.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:28 am

Brakes are rather important---get to honda immediately---since I think you said leaks or runs down on calipher?? Age of bike? Maint history? Not ridden everyday? New bike=warranty. Decent shop should figure out problem right away. older bike one thing can lead to another.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 am

Having wiped off the area around the calliper and not observing any further seepage. I would;

1, wait and see if it re-occurs. Could have been moisture collecting after a ride!

2. Grab my spanners and just check to see if all the pipes going into the calliper are nipped up real tight.

To zip it straight off to a garage without a good check yourself to me is tantamount to writing blank cheques. Brakes are very important, but prudence if on a budget can occasionally win!!!!!

However DickO if in any doubt do what you think best, no brakes - no stop - no tomorrow!!! Hope it's not too costly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Johnnygone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Johnnygone

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:43 am

I second Waspie's opinion.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 7:12 pm

After another day of 'setting' and no telltale signs of additional seepage, I rode the bike into Topeka last night to attend a Legion meeting. While on the road (there and back), I exercised the brakes quite extensively. Didn't notice any additional seepage after getting there or upon returning home, so let it set overnight. Again, no discrepancy noted; so rode it on another short trip today and still everything looks fine.

It's a mystery to me and I'll be sure to keep my eye on that particular item.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Dick,

Are you sure it wasn't just a fork seal leaking a bit? They often dribble down the leg, onto the caliper and look like the caliper is at fault.

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Brake fluid seepage 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 10:06 pm

DickO, Any big dogs or offended Harley riders in your area? They're hard to tell apart.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:19 am

jon - no, I checked the forks also 'cause I was preferring that was what I'd find, but the "wetness" was confined to just that local area.

And no - "Hi Yo"... I got some of the liquid on my fingers and smelled it and certainly discerned that it was benign and not smelly like big dogs and Harley riders... I know, I was amongst a bunch of them last night at the Legion meeting... well... some Harley riders who 'think' they're big dogs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake fluid seepage   Brake fluid seepage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake fluid seepage
Page 1 of 1