Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brake Fluid Flushing

Go down 
+4
BrianInVA
Easyrider
Modernman1953
oldwingguy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Brake Fluid Flushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm

. I will attempt flushing the brakes, and anti-freeze only if there is enough time.<<>> having all the tools and replacement items at hand you could be done in a morning easy, a look around the how to section here will be a big help if this is your first attempt.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Use a turkey baster and remove the brake fluid from each reservoir. Fill with new brake fluid. Do this every year and the fluid in the line going to the brake shoes will be diluted with the new fluid every time you apply the brakes. Easy to do and it takes 10 minutes for both reservoirs. Been doing this with Goldwings for 15 years.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 6:55 am

Modernman1953 wrote:
Use a turkey baster and remove the brake fluid from each reservoir.  Fill with new brake fluid.  Do this every year and the fluid in the line going to the brake shoes will be diluted with the new fluid every time you apply the brakes.  Easy to do and it takes 10 minutes for both reservoirs.   Been doing this with Goldwings for 15 years.  

?? how does brake fluid " circulate " in a brake system.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 pm

The fluid in the reservoir goes down as the brake pads wear. The new fluid will not find it's way to the wheel cylinders. The right way is to open the bleeder while apply the brake. Close the bleeder then release the brake. Keep checking the reservoir and filling as needed. Repeat the process.

Be careful. There are some members that get upset for repeating the same subject.

Just read the service manual, else have the Honda shop do it. Very important to know what you are doing when messing with your brakes.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 8:03 pm

The fluid in the reservoir goes down as the brake pads wear. The new fluid will not find it's way to the wheel cylinders. <> nor will any crud / moisture be removed. There has to be some reason it's a recommended periodic service.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 am

oldwingguy wrote:
The fluid in the reservoir goes down as the brake pads wear. The new fluid will not find it's way to the wheel cylinders. <> nor will any crud / moisture be removed. There has to be some reason it's a recommended periodic service.

I would drain the reservoir, put new DOT-4 brake fluid, loosen the bleeder, pump and hold the brake handle while loosening the bleeder until the fluid drains into a cup. When the brake handle bottoms out, close the bleeder then release the brake handle. Add more fluid in the reservoir. Start the process all over again until either the fluid changes color or you feel that enough fluid has been emptied into the cup. The amount should include the volume of fluid in the wheel cylinders. Tighten the bleeder.
The service manual should have the recommended procedure.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 am

One man job with a Mity Vac. REMEMBER it's not how much one bleeds it's how one bleeds well, with the Mity Vac. ONLY use enough " draw " to move the fluid, it's not necessary to see how high on the gage one can raise the dial. That and doing it the correct order.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 1:55 pm

My wife has always been there to assist me with all my past cars and trucks. She will be assisting me with the Swing.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Lucky you.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Molecular diffusion will mean that over some time, all of the fluid will end up the same, so the stuff in the reservoir will pull moisture out of the lines, and new fluid will end up in the lines. If this is done every year, the fluid will be fine forever with no buildup of gunk.

But if you want to get every bit of the old out, then bleed your brakes.

Be sure to get every bit of oil out of your motor every time you change your oil too.... lol

Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2022 10:44 pm

Modernman1953 wrote:
Use a turkey baster and remove the brake fluid from each reservoir.  Fill with new brake fluid.  Do this every year and the fluid in the line going to the brake shoes will be diluted with the new fluid every time you apply the brakes.  Easy to do and it takes 10 minutes for both reservoirs.   Been doing this with Goldwings for 15 years.  
Modernman1953 wrote:
Molecular diffusion will mean that over some time, all of the fluid will end up the same, so the stuff in the reservoir will pull moisture out of the lines, and new fluid will end up in the lines.  If this is done every year, the fluid will be fine forever with no buildup of gunk.  

But if you want to get every bit of the old out, then bleed your brakes.
I was at an independent bike shop and talked to a very experienced old motorcycle mechanic today. I asked him specifically whether it was necessary to completely change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes on my 2006 Silverwing with 7,000 miles. He did not recommend it. He said to do as above, just drain each reservoir with a turkey baster and refill with DOT 4.

Any further evidence for this either way?

I did as he recommended but if a total bleed and replacement is really necessary I’ll take it in to Honda early next month.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2022 11:46 pm

My 2 cents worth is that the callipers are at the lowest point of the brake system, and any grunge will tend to accumulate there. Whenever I service the brake fluid I syringe out the reservoir, mop out any residual grunge, then refill with clean fluid. Then attach a bleed hose to the nipple, apply lever pressure and crack the bleeder, close the bleeder, release the lever, then repeat as needed. The old fluid is usually quite dark in colour, and you can usually see when the fresh clean fluid arrives. It may take a few reservoirs full of new fluid to get the old fluid purged.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 12:15 am

Terry Smith wrote:
My 2 cents worth is that the callipers are at the lowest point of the brake system, and any grunge will tend to accumulate there. Whenever I service the brake fluid I syringe out the reservoir, mop out any residual grunge, then refill with clean fluid. Then attach a bleed hose to the nipple, apply lever pressure and crack the bleeder, close the bleeder, release the lever, then repeat as needed. The old fluid is usually quite dark in colour, and you can usually see when the fresh clean fluid arrives. It may take a few reservoirs full of new fluid to get the old fluid purged.
The brake fluid was amber but clear. I could easily see the bottom of each reservoir and there was no muck or grunge in the reservoirs themselves fortunately.

I guess I’ll pick up the hose and bleed them next.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 4:20 am

I also syringe out the old brake fluid, refill with fresh clean fluid, and bleed the brakes using a Rothewald brake bleeder kit. It's a simple uncomplicated procedure, and as Mr Smith says you can see the old darker fluid changing to the clearer new stuff.

At least then you know the brakes have clean fresh fluid in the reservoir and brake lines and have been bled. Rather than taking the word of some hairy arsed old bike mechanic who's only half done the job on the Service Checklist.

Using a turkey baster instead of a syringe seemed a tad primitive too,
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 5:22 am

Meldrew wrote:

Using a turkey baster instead of a syringe seemed a tad primitive too,
I watched several videos on replacing the brake fluid and using a metal turkey baster was specifically  mentioned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U7zwmHeyMgE

I’m a retired foot doctor so I’m quite familiar with syringes, with some in my medicine cabinet, but I found using a metal turkey baster quite satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 7:17 am

I'm not a retired foot doctor, but I am familiar with using 50ml and 100ml syringes to carry out various maintenance jobs. They're far easier to use than a primitive turkey baster isn't even much good for it's intended culinary purpose. There's far less chance of spilling brake fluid onto paintwork with a syringe too.

I suppose you have to find a use for your turkey baster,  Don't y'all now deep fry your Thanksgiving turkeys outside on the porch instead of using the oven.

They've had to produce YouTube safety videos about the dangers of lowering wet turkeys into hot oil.  I watched Bill Shatner ruining his new loafers in one video when the oil overflowed..   Smile

The only use I've found for a turkey baster is adding or removing coolant from the expansion tank after changing to get the correct level.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 513
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 11:08 am

Brake fluid is "hygroscopic", it draws moisture from air overtime and degrades, water/moisture is heavier than brake fluid and settles at lowest point in system, brake calipers. It causes corrosion at pistons/bores. Brake fluid does not cycle thru or is consumed by system, strictly gravity feed, brake fluid should never be serviced to full mark, unless new pads are installed, normally level only drops due to pad wear. System should be completely flushed every 3-5 years, regardless of mileage or use.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 11:19 am

So then why not replace the DOT 4 brake fluid with DOT 5 which is synthetic and not hydroscopic?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 513
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 1:40 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
So then why not replace the DOT 4 brake fluid with DOT 5 which is synthetic and not hydroscopic?

Dot 3,4+5.1 are compatible/glycol based all Hygroscopic (refers to a matter's ability to adsorb and absorb water from the surrounding environment), the higher the number, better quality.

Dot 5 silicone fluid is not compatible with any other brake fluid, only way to use in a glycol system is to completely remove/clean any trace of old fluid, as in full disassembly of all components, etc., any trace could diminish brake performance. Nearly impossible on ABS models.
Not worth it, IMO.

My 2012 SW brakes where not serviced in 8yrs/10K miles here in the moisture state, a full caliper clean and seal replacement was the final solution to my occasionally sticking front brake, after several flushes fail to fix it.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 2:21 pm

I ordered a set of Speed Bleeders to do it right and make bleeding the lines a bit easier:
http://www.speedbleeder.com/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 4:47 pm

zrx212 wrote:

My 2012 SW brakes where not serviced in 8yrs/10K miles here in the moisture state, a full caliper clean and seal replacement was the final solution to my occasionally sticking front brake, after several flushes fail to fix it.

I have a bad habit of buying older Honda's from uncaring owners and then working them back to a decently maintained state, so I have had more than my fair share of brake experience. If you are handy, I fully endorse completely stripping the master and callipers for a full inspection.

The calliper pistons can corrode and pit and that damages the outer seals, and causes unwanted binding. The grooves that the seals sit into also get corrosion/dirt build-up, and that squeezes the seals hard onto the pistons, again causing binding. The only fix for that is to disassemble and carefully scrape the groove clean and fit new seals.

I have come across some quite nasty debris in callipers or clutch slaves, which I assume is crystallised brake fluid. No way to get that out without disassembly. There's usually a brown sludge present as well.

One area that often gets overlooked on callipers like the Swing uses are the sliding pins; the callipers have to be able to slide sideways when the pistons extend to pull the back pads onto the disc, and if you don't keep the sliding parts greased (Honda says silicone grease only) they seize and you loose brake power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake Fluid Flushing   Brake Fluid Flushing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake Fluid Flushing
Page 1 of 1