Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF

Go down 
+4
Waspie
Cosmic_Jumper
tarmacburner2
Dimond
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF Empty
PostSubject: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 2:18 pm

A couple of times during the past year I have put down the side kickstand, then forgot to put the ignition key into the OFF position (I know this is lame - but I have actually done this), then walked away from the SWing - once resulting in a dead battery. Has anyone rigged up some type of 'buzzer' to alert you to this condition? If so, possibly you can share what you did and what drawbacks you may have encountered. I have installed such an alarm in my 'older' cars - but in those cases the ignition key was in the OFF position and the lights were ON - which is a bit of a different system. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Put your key on a long landyard that you can hook to your jacket or around your neck. You won't be able to walk away from the scooter without the key.
Failing that - Take the bus. Razz
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Regrettably that buzzer would only drain the battery faster.

Tim

"Kindly come to terms with your a** for it bears you" --Fra Junipero Sierra
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 6:04 am

Maybe something like this;

http://www.idsolutions.co.nz/reels_and_retractables.html

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 am

Many boats have a buzzer system that buzzes when one turns the ignition on then goes off when the engine is started/running and goes off when the engine is shut off (diesels in boats don't usually stop on the key) and the ignition switched off with the key.
Perhaps it's worth pursuing that line.

Last edited by MikeO on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:33 am

Has anyone ever forgot to put the key in the ignition to start it? Laughing

We could go silly with this one.

Maybe an alarm to indicate the side hasn't been raised! clown

or

A buzzer to say the seat hasn't been locked and a risk to battery drainage is indicated by the under seat light. sunny

Seriously though I think the best thing other than get into the realms of wiring and such is simply to remember to withdraw the key, a bright key fob or an illuminated key fob. What a Face
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 6:49 am

My take---if a person is not alert enough and needs buzzer to remind to do right things....probably shouldn't be on powered two wheels.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 7:34 am

john grinsel wrote:
My take---if a person is not alert enough and needs buzzer to remind to do right things....probably shouldn't be on powered two wheels.

applause 100% agree John.
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Just three steps to remember and soon it will become automatic.

1. turn off ignition.

2. lower side stand.

3. set parking brake.

Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:36 pm

I would add a fourth one.

4. Get off scooter. Laughing

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Beeper for turn signals   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Slightly off topic, but:
I know I should be aware of what I am doing all the time when riding on two (or 3) wheels, but, a little beeping sound as the turn signal is activated would be nice. That way, the driver is less likely to forget to turn off the signal following a turn. I've thought about this for over 40 yrs of 'cycling.' Haven't seen it offered from the manufacturers .... at least from Honda that I am aware of.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Okiedolkle wrote:
Slightly off topic, but:
I know I should be aware of what I am doing all the time when riding on two (or 3) wheels, but, a little beeping sound as the turn signal is activated would be nice. That way, the driver is less likely to forget to turn off the signal following a turn. I've thought about this for over 40 yrs of 'cycling.' Haven't seen it offered from the manufacturers .... at least from Honda that I am aware of.

Problem I see with this idea is that helmets are designed to dampen sound, (assuming one is wearing a helmet!). Should a beeping device be fitted to two/three wheeled machines it would have to be of a volume level that would be heard by the rider.

Would this then mean that it would be a noise nuisance to other s, pedestrians etc!

I would like to see a HUD type arrangement but cost and compatibility with head gear would be the stumbling blocks!
Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: turn signal beeper   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Well that could be a possible reason why no beeper. But I don't think it would have to be that loud ... just the right pitch. I wear a half helmut and I think I would hear the beeper.

Homer
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Homer, I wear a Arai full face and it has very good sound proofing qualities. Maybe manufactures could reposition the lights and add a 'clicker' where they could be observed visually and audibly.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Do you have reversing buzzers over there?

Not loud to be annoying but loud enough to be noticeable.

It is a very simple operation to wire two (one of each side) small buzzers into the indicator wiring. For those of you who wish to remain quiet then I suggest wiring an led into each side. Positioned somewhere on the centre of the handlebar cover at such an angle so it gets your attention.
These are available worldwide (including USA!)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-CYCLE-Indicator-Buzzer-Kit-2-sounders-NO-DIODES-USED-/370630053293?
pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item564b45cdad#ht_1348wt_710

LEDs 3mm are fine, 5mm TOO BRIGHT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Pre-wired-3mm-Bright-Green-LEDs-Prewired-12V-LED-/350445544370?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item51982ea3b2#ht_1053wt_944

3mm Holders (for neat installation)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-3mm-Black-Plastic-LED-Clip-Holders-Bezels-Cases-/350383183820?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item51947717cc#ht_1053wt_944

I bought my LED stuff from this seller and I'm very pleased with them. I have no affilliation with either seller. BTW.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF   Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buzzer to Alert that Lights are ON and Engine is OFF
Page 1 of 1