Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

noise update - rattle at 70

Go down 
+10
surlybiker58
OldRacer67
tankyuong
john grinsel
JeffR_
Waspie
"Hi Yo"
micbusathens
eddy
mjandreola
14 posters
AuthorMessage
mjandreola
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-03-11

noise update - rattle at 70 Empty
PostSubject: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:01 am

Earlier I posted a concern about a sqeuaking noise but yesterday, I really goy a better listen on the way home. While doing 70 mph in the left lane, next to the concrete barrier, I heard a constant rattling noise. I assume this is coming from the rear or the bike but it just kept rattling. Did not seem to make a difference if it was during acceleration, or when I was off the gas. Yup, a constant rattle. Any one have any ideas? At that speed, its kind of un nerving!
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:42 am

Set your SW on his main center stand.
Start the engine and let a helping person manipulate the throttle.
Listen close near the variator box .
Noise comes from there?

Open the box for closer diagnose.

Eddy.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 11:29 am

Number plate ....maybe ?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
noise update - rattle at 70 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:08 pm

You might check the center stand spring to make sure it isn't allowing the center stand to rattle against the frame. I always look for simple answers first.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:19 pm

micbusathens wrote:
Number plate ....maybe ?

That was a cause of 'rattle' on my machine. The number plate vibrated against a plastic 'lump' that protrudes from the rear fender. I managed to dampen it with some sticky backed neoprene tape.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 12:16 am

You might also want to check the rear plate that you need to remove to do the air filter replacement/cleaning. There is a pictorial in the "pictorial" section for doing this. It is 2 screws and is the 1st thing you do in the pictorial. This piece may be loose or you may want to put some thin foam around the inside of this panel to stop the rattle noise. Just a suggestion, mine did this once when I didn't tighten the screws enough.

If you find it please tell us what it is. I'm sure it is something very simple.
Back to top Go down
mjandreola
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 10:31 am

well, so far it does not look like the license plate, the center stand, or the access panel under the brake lights. I was hoping it was something simple. I checked all those yesterday an no such luck. I'm going to put it up on the center stand with it running tonight when I get home and see if I can hear something. The other thing I noticed this morning was it makes the most noise after its been ridden a bit. I did not hear it this AM till about 20 miles on my rid so thats why Im going to check it when I get home. It almost sounded like a ringing bell or a big loose washer this morning. More to come
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 2:51 pm

If your SW is above 40 k a possible cause can be a loose compartment inside exhaust.When you start hearing that sound ...stop engine and hit the exhaust with your feast (carefully...its hot) to hear if something's mooving in there.Ooooh !!! Something else passed by.....Turn by hands the springs of the shocks 180 degrees with SW in center stand (its easy).
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 10:53 am

I would say guts in muffler loose. Didn't happen on my SilverWing, but on 3 of my Helix-----Honda replaced mufflers at 30,000 miles as the guts broke loose---warranty.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 11:59 am

try revving your engine on center stand
Back to top Go down
OldRacer67
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
OldRacer67

Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 3:19 pm

For what it is worth. My irritating rattle turn out to be the wind at 60 mph under the givi box mount. I took it off, taped the bottom up, reinstalled it and no rattling noise now.
I initally thought it was something metallic for sure.
Back to top Go down
mjandreola
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks to all that chined in on this. I found it. By am I embarrased. Last month I changed the rear tire. While removing the rear brake line, I lost one of the small braket bolts. Thinking nothing of it, I found another one at the bottom of my tool box and put everything back together. Well, it looks like that bolt (more of a screw) fell into the exhaust pipe. After I put it back together, it must have pushed its way up into the muffler. Its been rattling around up there all this time. Once I pulled the muffler off to see what it was, it came rolling out.

again, thanks to everyone who helped.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
noise update - rattle at 70 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Mjandreola, Thanks for the update. Too often people post a problem and never let us know if or how they fixed it. I'm glad it wasn't a major problem.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Same from me, thank you for the update and glad you have found the source of the problem. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Another Silverwing mystery solved !
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 am

I have this rattling noise at around 70mph to 80mph. I've checked all of the above. It sounds like a tappet noise. I's only noticeable after riding for a while. If I move my head around it disappears and reappears depending on my head position so it is obviously directional. My instinct tells me it's coming from somewhere around the tunnel area but I can't be sure. I can't find anything loose under the spark plug access panel.

It sounds metallic as it is very constant in pitch and frequency. It's been happening for years but my recent ride to Belgium (in sweltering heat!) keeps me wondering if it's something serious.

The bike has done 26k miles and I keep it maintained. I can't vouch for the previous owner though!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 12:44 pm

My first rule these days for rattle finding is to remove all the junk I accumulate in the various storage areas and the go for a ride or drive (bike or car). Usually it's the junk rattling and buzzing about.
It's why cars always sound better just before you sell 'em lol.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Since removing my variator for a clean up, I've been hearing a tinkling on mine- particularly at low and slow speeds- seems to be coming from the variator area.

There wasn't much dust but my Dr Pulley sliders cleaned up nicely and I noticed the variator ramp plate sliding plastic clips were quite loose compared to when I installed them new a few thousand miles ago.

I sprayed PTFE dry lube on relevant parts and reassembled. All seemed fine until passing a solid wall and I could hear the sound bouncing back at me.

Anyhow, I suspect the plastic sliding pieces need replacing as maybe the variator ramp plate is rattling and causing the noise. Otherwise, no problems so I'll order some Dr. Pulley sliding pieces (they may last longer?) and see if that cures the tinkling noise.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Drive line is quite quiet----with stock OEM parts. Some noise you here may be from panels shaking/vibrating----easy fix, small self tapping sheet metal screws to hold them solid.

Based on over 90,000 miles on two new purchased SilverWings----I like stock drive train.....and never walked.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Drive line is quite quiet----with stock OEM parts.   Some noise you here may be from panels shaking/vibrating----easy fix, small self tapping sheet metal screws to hold them solid.

Based on over 90,000 miles on two new purchased SilverWings----I like stock drive train.....and never walked.

None of my body panels vibrate or rattle- I've had them all off and fixed every tab, clip and screw fixing. Mine is a metallic sound- almost a ringing (which makes me suspect ramp plate rattle as it's bell-shaped) and definitely from the left side near the variator area. It was first noticed after I cleaned the variator, which makes that area suspect (maybe I left a cow bell in the casing Smile )
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 5:09 am

The variator ramp was my first thought but having put in 26gm Dr Pulley rollers in and new plastic sliders it made no difference. Also, the ramp must be under tremendous tension when riding so there wouldn't be any allowance for even the tiniest movement...me thinks?

Could it be a tiny leak in one of the exhaust seals on the cylinder head. Although you would expect a popping noise, I wonder if such a tiny leak could produce this ticking kind of sound?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 am

I'm Hmm scratch Could it be an inconsistency in the size of the variator rollers or variator ramp track wear allowing one roller weight to be a wee bit loose and thus vibrating against the ramp plate?

Once upon a time... Ramp plate sliding pieces: I experienced two occasions when the "V" light came on during two different long (Interstate) trips. This occurred, both times, when I quickly braked & decelerated (to avoid an obstacle) then quickly accelerated. Even though I reset the V light the light came back ON within a mile or two. That evening I did a motel parking lot tear down and all seemed well but I changed the belt (new spare) anyway. 

The "V" light came on again under the same circumstances a few weeks later. This time I was more careful when I disassembled the works. I discovered that one of the 26 gm Sliders had rotated and was causing the variator to compress erratically vis a’ vis RPMs. I assumed that this rotated Slider is what had also occurred to cause the "crisis" a few thousand miles prior. At that time, and given the location, I had just yanked everything apart without too much forethought. The ramp plate came off after Sliders and a couple of the v-shaped slide pieces fell out when the variator was removed. But now the Sliders were new, well new-ish, the belt was new, so WT?... This time however I removed the variator by holding the ramp plate and variator together as one assembly. 

The ramp plate was loose on the variator and when it was removed I discovered that one Slider has rotated in its track.

It turned out that the ramp plate slides were worn enough to allow the ramp plate (well the variator actually) to 'bind and/or twist' (probably wrong words) and allow a Slider to rotate in its track. I replaced the worn (~20K miles) OEM slides with Dr Pulley slide pieces and the problem is resolved. The new slide pieces fit the ramp plate and variator much firmer than OEM slides and given the longevity of Dr P Sliders I expect that these new slide pieces will last the life of the bike.

So the wind-up here is that it could be worn ramp slide pieces leading to variator noises.

And They Lived Happily Ever After

Tim
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Very interesting Cosmicjumper. I replaced the sliding pieces (x4) not long ago with OEM ones. Whenever I remove the variator I take it off as a unit so I can see everything in it's place. All seems well although I think I'll try Dr Pulley ones at the next belt change due in few thousand miles. I must confess, the noise does seem to equate to something like the ramp plate rattling against the roller holder drum (not sure what it's called).
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 am

Sorry to drag this up again. I have just run my SW to warm up the oil for a oil and filter change. The clattering noise mentioned here at the start is quite prominent now while idling. Definitely from the variator area. I'm with cosmic jumper on this one. I have always suspected the ramp plate and now I'm pretty certain. Each time I have had the variator apart the ramps look quite worn, I need to try sliders in place of rollers perhaps, or, it's a new variator.

I'll certainly post the results on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: noise update - rattle at 70   noise update - rattle at 70 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

noise update - rattle at 70
Page 1 of 1