Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Poor MPG/KML please help

Go down 
+5
viclavigne
Cosmic_Jumper
micbusathens
Daboo
d1mez
9 posters
AuthorMessage
d1mez
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Poor MPG/KML please help Empty
PostSubject: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum.
My name is Dima, Im original from Russia and currently I live and study in Israel and I'm glad to be a part of this great community.
Recently I have purchased SW-400 2008 with 50,000km's
I have upgraded from Kymco Grand Dink 250 that I used for work in deliveries. And I bought the SW for a bargain price only for 1 reason - it would serve me a few good years for my own duties and work ( As I mentioned I work in private delivery company with my own scooter) and the price was half of the price tag for 2008 model.
I'm planing to get around 40K km's a year.
So far I managed to cover almost 1.5K kms in less then 2 weeks and did 7 fuel ups ( around 13L per fuel up)
The lowest kml I had when I worked in town - I got 16.5kml
The best kml I had when I the work was mixed - town/highway I got 19kml.
I'm driving pretty agressive most of the time Im halfthrottle of the lights and gradually twisting the throttle to 3/4 then let it back to half throttle.
When I tried to be more gently of the throttle I got 17.5kml in town, but I cant handle my self from not driving the way I like - AGGRESSIVE!
Still havent got a chance to get the scooter on a full working day out of town - only highway.
It will be my next try.
As I know the scooter had recently been maintanced when it clocked 48,000kms. But the poor kml makes me a little worried - could the seller just lied to me and he didnt do the 48K maintance and probably the plugs doesnt burn all the fuel and consump more fuel or it may be a clogged airfilter or poor rollers shape?
I have to mention that when I checked the oil level the oil seemed to be clear - recently changed.
The rpms I get at certain speeds are the same as a few others SW-400 owners that I have asked and as follows
7,000rpm 130kmh
6,500rpm - 120kmh ( and its my usual cruising speed when I'm on a highway)
6,000rpm - 110kmh
5,500rpm -100kmh
5,000rpm 90kmh
Is it just me being to aggressive on the throttle, or maybe this scooter doesnt get its AVG KML in the city?
Regards, Dima.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:18 pm

I would imagine your km/l are normal for a Silverwing. As you guessed yourself, the biggest contributor to our fuel efficiency is our desire to twist the throttle.

Any time you twist the throttle, you're pouring more fuel in than can be burned and converted to additional speed. So the more aggressive you are on the throttle, the more fuel you'll use.

If you want better gas mileage, look for ways to smooth out the acceleration and braking in your ride.

It's all a matter of choices. Wink

Chris
Back to top Go down
d1mez
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for a fast reply Daboo, I have to say its not a easy task to be gentle with this twin powered maxi scooter. The engine just wants to rev by itself. Thats the feeling I get everytime I ride it and ofcourse I enjoy every second Smile .
If I could get a 18km per litre in town I would be pleased.
I will try to be more gently and see what happens.
Meanwhile - do you have any suggestions on addons that would lower the kml's? I have looked after Dr.pulley sliders and Iridium spark plugs and a K'N airfilter. Would those lower my KML?
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Decent consumption .Round 6 liters per 100 kms when a 600 needs round 6.5 for the same conditions.We are very heavy and continious stop and gos is increasing dramaticaly the consumption.RPMs/kms are not always the same .They are depending from the throttle position and they vary +- 1000RPMs.Try some different weights at your variator.Try some lighter ones from Dr Pulley
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 4:18 pm

I disagree with Micbusathen's comment about lighter variator weights. I do agree with all the comments made regarding aggressive riding style effecting fuel economy.

Lighten up on the throttle. And change the variator roller weights to higher weight Dr Pulley Sliding weights. The heavier weights will cause the operating rpm's to drop however the acceleration performance will be less. While just switching from Roller weights to Sliding weights -even if you choose to not go with heavier or lighter than stock- will improve performance and make it run smoother.

The most fuel-efficient 'speed' for the SW is a "consistent" average of about 4000 rpm. Once you exceed 5000 rpm's the fuel efficiency drops dramatically.

Silverwings have never been noted for their great fuel economy.

Given that the 400cc SW weighs the same as a 600cc it's not all that surprising that it makes a bigger demand on the engine to get things moving.

I'd suggest switching to 30 gm (or heavier) Dr Pulley Sliding weights. I'm assuming that the stock Honda weights on the 400 are 28 gm, the same as those used on the 600.

Hope this helps

Tim
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 4:48 pm

First of all Hello to everybody.Most of the times higher RPMs is not the main factor for exesive consumption but the butterflies position(throttle).So ....The issue is to use the less possible throttle for take offs.I just changed mine to 24 grms and I've gained 20 miles to every tank refil for the same driving style.In traffic the needs for often speed changes demand a more responding transmission which a lighter variator weight can achieve.JMO
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 4:55 pm

micbusathens wrote:
First of all Hello to everybody.Most of the times higher RPMs is not the main factor for exesive consumption but the butterflies position(throttle).So ....The issue is to use the less possible throttle for take offs.I just changed mine to 24 grms and I've gained 20 miles to every tank refill for the same driving style.In traffic the needs for often speed changes demand a more responding transmission which a lighter variator weight can achieve.JMO
Back to top Go down
d1mez
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 5:10 pm

WOW, What a great forum, thanks to everyone for the responds.
I want to clear a few things
Stock variator rollers weight on SW400 is 25g
As far as I know heavier rollers will squeze the variator more which will result in lower rpms and higher top speed and will reduce the acceleration dramaticly. As I wrote I'm using the scoot to work around town in deliveries, almost every 3 hundred metres there is a stop light ( atleast here in Tel Aviv) and to get faster throught the lights and get the green light line I will have sometimes to accelerate faster - if I will switch to higher weighted rollers it will only make my fuel consuption even worse.
I think that in order to get a better fuel consuption in town the variator needs lower weighted Dr.Pulley sliders, I will be able to take off and accelerate with much more less throttle. Most of the working time I spend in town and barely get out of town, top speed and cruising at lower RPMs isnt the case here. Im not looking to speed up more then 120KMH at highway. And while in town I barely exceed 90KMH most of the time I'm at 40-70KMH.
I was looking at 23g Dr. Pulley sliders.
Youre welcome to comment
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 5:25 pm

http://www.drpulley.info/shop/product_info.php?products_id=576
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 7:43 am

If my rounded math is correct, the OP's stated poorest consumption of 16 L/km is equal to roughly 64 mpg in US terms. In my opinion that is excellent. When comparing to a 250cc scooter, of course the 400cc bike will use more fuel, but that's the give and take when you get a bigger bike.

Vic
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:41 am

16 KM/L converted to (US)MPG is 37.63

In town and aggressive drive style...

I think it's normal.

Eddy
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Silverwings have never been noted for their great fuel economy.

Tim

I do not agree with this statement.

My SilverWing gets great fuel economy.

Harry
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:41 pm

The forum name Old Sloppy sounds as if it belongs on a left handed website. Wink
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Meldrew wrote:
The forum name Old Sloppy sounds as if it belongs on a left handed website. Wink

I think you have a dirty mind.....

Harry
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 12:43 am

.... and you'd be right! Wink
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 2:01 pm

The first thing I would do is check the spark plugs and air filter and replace both with what people here on the forum are using. But I saw a big improvement when I used a fuel system cleaner in gas tank and bought a GOOD brand of gas. I had being using the cheapest gas I could find.
Just pour it in and drive. Don't be cheep. Buy the best you can find.
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Does a 400 have 1 or 2 cylinders ?

Forgive me, I only have seen my 600...2 cylinders..

How old is your drive belt, an older belt will give reduced mileage.

I agree that your throttle posistion affects gas mileage,
more throttle = less mileage.
less throttle = more mileage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poor MPG/KML please help   Poor MPG/KML please help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poor MPG/KML please help
Page 1 of 1