Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Belt & Braces

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Belt & Braces Empty
PostSubject: Belt & Braces   Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 am

Well, not exactly; on my trip last weekend I was aware of a persistant vibration, the feeling of a low growl, and experienced strange sympathetic whirrings when I was poodling through the Tunnel Terminal - I'd had similar on the X9500 - almost as if the belt was slipping although it wasn't.
I have also been inspecting the rear tyre more thoroughly than usual as it's the orginal and was looking rather smooth round the middle. The closer inspections revealed quite marked cupping, getting worse rather rapidly.

The belt officially has another 1500 miles or so left but we went to my dealer's in Ostend and discussed the problems with the excellent mechanic.
He didn't like the look of the tyre one little bit aand offered to change it there and then - there's one in stock - but we decided to have new belt and rollers so left the Silverwing with them.
The belt will arrive tomorrow so I'll have it back on Thursday in time for my trip over to London on Saturday.
I'd planned to have a new belt before the X9OC Anniversary Weekend, just in case - I shall probably do around 1500 miles altogether and would have been worrying.

I've no idea how much it will cost but what price peace of mind?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Belt & Braces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt & Braces   Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:06 pm

Mike, would you say the tyre was the result of your recent ride on UK roads?

In my few years riding, (compared to our John of course!!!) Laughing , I have never seen a 'cupped' tyre in the UK!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Belt & Braces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt & Braces   Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Waspie wrote:

In my few years riding, (compared to our John of course!!!) Laughing , I have never seen a 'cupped' tyre in the UK!!

+1

I've just replaced both tyres and brake pads, not cheap, but as Mike says, what price peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Belt & Braces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt & Braces   Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Doug, I had a similar problem with my first X9 although the particular type of Pirelli was noted for it.
The mechanic said it's caused mostly under braking when the tyre distorts; I wonder if I'm being heavier on the brakes because of the ABS.
It's done 15,000 miles over two-and-a-half years - not very much so I wonder if the tyre's aged rather than worn.

Because of my relatively low mileage I don't mind replacing consumables before the limit is reached.....and I trust my mechanic - he's a very good chap.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Belt & Braces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt & Braces   Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Peace of mind is worth all the spending of a bit of cash. What tyre are you having fitted.

My Silverwing goes in next week for a full service and replacement of both tyres. Decided to go for the Metzeler Feelfree Wintec tyres. So scoot will be all ready for the twisties in the Picos de Europa in June. The Picos suffers from short sharp showers so the additional grip of the Wintecs on wet roads should lead to a calmer ride.

Bought my tyres from mytyres.co.uk . Same price for the standard and the wintec tyres.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Belt & Braces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt & Braces   Belt & Braces I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:01 pm

I'll have to wait until I get the bike back before knowing what's been put on it; I don't think they stock the cheapest, though. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Belt & Braces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belt & Braces   Belt & Braces I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt & Braces
Page 1 of 1