Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?

Go down 
+11
toolboxjesse
john grinsel
Scooterian
KurtPerthWA
Bobben
RArch
jdeereanton
Waspie
Meldrew
DennisB
Dimond
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:01 pm

I plan to maintain my SWing - but don't have much in the way of tools - only this and that - certainly not a complete 'automotive or motorcycle' set. I am looking for tool recommendations that meet the following criteria:
1. Quality - Needs to be OK to do the job, but nothing exceptional as my tools will get used 'very little'. Not to say they are not important - but I do not plan on buying the top of the line (if the top costs a lot more).
2. Sizes - Need to have a range of sizes to handle the swing.
3. Functionality - Need to be such that they can disassemble/reassemble the swing. Don't have to be the easiest tools to use - but they need to work.
4. Manufacturer - Tools will be purchased in USA. The common ones should be available from name brands - such as Sears, Harbor Freight, etc.
5. Engine Work - Assume only work is necessary on ancillary parts of engine (e.g., valve adjustments, carbs, etc.) but no splitting of the engine to access pistons, crank, gears, etc., as this work will be done by my dealer.
6. Cost - If you have a great SET of tools to recommend (e.g. , Harbor Freight set xyz, or Sears auto set abc, etc.) then by all means please recommend them as SETS seem to range in the $50 to $500 range at my stores and I can never figure out which is the best one to buy (or avoid) due to having too few (or too many) tools. Specify approximate costs that you may have paid or that you have seen, if this information is available to you.
7. Specialty - Suggest the specialty tools that are really needed vs the ones that you don't really need if you suggest an alternative approach, a DIY tool, or an alternative vendor.
8. Maintenance - Tools should do all of the necessary maintenance noted in the Honda Service Manual (which I have).
I could go through the service manual - and all of the threads - to get some of the above data; but I am hoping that someone has already done this. If there is a link to what I am asking - please advise. Lot's of what I am asking is 'personal preference' - but the responses will likely be varied, interesting, and many. Hopefully this post/thread will lead to a suggested tool master list that can be compiled/posted somewhere on this forum (or maybe it is here already). Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Dimond,

There's a bunch of tools needed to work on the Swing, 2 that I recommend would be any High torque/slow speed battery opporated phillips screw driver and a large cheep set of 6 sided impact sockets from Harbor Freight Tools. You can find them on sale every once in a while.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-38-drive-metric-impact-socket-set-67870.html
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm

This isn't going to turn into 'How do you learn to lean' Part 2 is it ? Neutral
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Cynic!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Waspie wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Cynic!!

Of course I am, why else would I choose Meldrew as a forum name. Wink

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Dimond,

Let me soften the critique a bit.

What ever tools you may have now - may be all you will need. I've gotten in trouble for this in the past, but "it's not rocket science." Admittedly, I do not do much of the maintenance on our bikes; oil changes and simple tasks like that. Imagine that I don't do much maintenance and yet I still suck air on a fairly regular basis. Inhale - exhale, keep it that order and don't stop - every thing will be okay.

Ride it - ride it - ride it. Best thing you can do. Don't get too wrapped up in the idea that you will have to change tires or belts on the side of the road in the middle of the night during a rain or snow storm. If you are a rational person you will be tucked into your cozy bed at that time of night.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I'd recommend:

A good quality set of cross tip and flat tip screw drivers
A nice set of 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch metric sockets and ratchets.
A good quality set of metric hex keys (allen wrenches).
Good quality pliers including a needle nose plier.

Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears are all good places to pick up these kinds of tools.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:02 pm

A torque wrench to go with your sockets might be handy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Keep what you have and only buy if you really need a tool.
Back to top Go down
Bobben
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Dimond wrote:
I plan to maintain my SWing - but don't have much in the way of tools - only this and that - certainly not a complete 'automotive or motorcycle' set. I am looking for tool recommendations that meet the following criteria:
1. Quality - Needs to be OK to do the job, but nothing exceptional as my tools will get used 'very little'. Not to say they are not important - but I do not plan on buying the top of the line (if the top costs a lot more).
2. Sizes - Need to have a range of sizes to handle the swing.
3. Functionality - Need to be such that they can disassemble/reassemble the swing. Don't have to be the easiest tools to use - but they need to work.
4. Manufacturer - Tools will be purchased in USA. The common ones should be available from name brands - such as Sears, Harbor Freight, etc.
5. Engine Work - Assume only work is necessary on ancillary parts of engine (e.g., valve adjustments, carbs, etc.) but no splitting of the engine to access pistons, crank, gears, etc., as this work will be done by my dealer.
6. Cost - If you have a great SET of tools to recommend (e.g. , Harbor Freight set xyz, or Sears auto set abc, etc.) then by all means please recommend them as SETS seem to range in the $50 to $500 range at my stores and I can never figure out which is the best one to buy (or avoid) due to having too few (or too many) tools. Specify approximate costs that you may have paid or that you have seen, if this information is available to you.
7. Specialty - Suggest the specialty tools that are really needed vs the ones that you don't really need if you suggest an alternative approach, a DIY tool, or an alternative vendor.
8. Maintenance - Tools should do all of the necessary maintenance noted in the Honda Service Manual (which I have).
I could go through the service manual - and all of the threads - to get some of the above data; but I am hoping that someone has already done this. If there is a link to what I am asking - please advise. Lot's of what I am asking is 'personal preference' - but the responses will likely be varied, interesting, and many. Hopefully this post/thread will lead to a suggested tool master list that can be compiled/posted somewhere on this forum (or maybe it is here already). Thanks!

Hi.
Just remember.
No problem is so big or so complicated that it can not be handed to others.
Bob
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:08 am

Cell Phone
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:37 am

Don't forget to have your favorite distilled or malted beverage near your tools.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 am

If you have to ask what tools are needed-----probably you shouldn't be wrenching on a plastic scooter. Since in US market they come with no tools---at least have enough to remove wheels in case of tire problem.

Ride everyday...for everything and then you will understand scooter. Many dealers don't.

Honda Service manual nice to have.

Credit card and cell phone can get you out of trouble-----trailer bikers usually do not stop to help.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 12:25 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Credit card and cell phone can get you out of trouble.

+1

Thats my sort of riding tool kit.

At home - you can never have too many tools!!!!
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Aside from my shop tools, many of which are Harbor Freight or Husky, and the tool kit that came with the bike, I keep on the bike (in the left locking pocket) a Cruztool multifunction tool, a small 12v tire inflator, a small bottle of tire slime, an 8oz squeeze bottle of motor oil, a couple of disposable neoprene gloves and several paper towels.

I wish it was practival to carry the tools required to remove and install the rear wheel, but it just isn't practical. I do own a 120v impact gun but don't carry it around.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:54 am

I keep telling the cheese n kisses that too Waspie, but it is nice to have everything toolwise, even in dreams.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 am

Imagine how this thread would look if Dimond had a Pommie bike.
Oh yeah, hammer screwdriver lots of rags and a shifter and a pan.

* US translation:
Imagine if Dimond owned an English bike eg BSA Enfields Ariels and Nortons. He would be advised to get a flat blade screwdriver, a 1 lb hammer, a monkey wrench and a large number of rags with a sizeable drip tray to keep under the bike when parked
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:59 am

Two very useful items I got from Cyclenutz are a Roadgear tool roll and a Versatool. The tool roll has lots of pockets for all kind of tools and the Versatool is a compact nut and screw driver with a selection of bits. It has different torque positions and can work in tight spaces. (fits well in the tool roll.)
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 am

A Pair of Pliers and Bailing wire. Thats all that needed for the model A ford
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and recommendations. I have purchased a few more tools to get started. I will let you know what I end up with a few months down the road. If anyone has any future suggestions then please feel free to add them to this post.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Leatherman Supertool 2/300.

Some good sockets, and metric combi spanners.

Good allen keys.

Tyre pressure gauge Smile

Carry some of the above to supplement the bike toolkit, if you want.

Rear tyre and bust band are not roadside jobs really!
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:47 pm

I also keep a tire repair kit in case I hit a nail or something.
Back to top Go down
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 12:59 pm

I have almost all Snap On but that's because I used to work for them Smile

I'd say the most important tool to make sure is well made are your screwdrivers and allen drivers. I highly recommend the Phillips with the ACR ribs. They are little ridges on the bit that bite the fastener and do a great job of preventing stripping.

The socket for the oil plug should be very high quality and only 6 point, not 12pt. Trust me, you don't want to try to remove it once it's been stripped out! DAMHIK!

You don't need a lot of tools, Honda is pretty good about using a few sizes only. 8,10,12,14,17,22,24 is about all you'll ever use.

I'm going to be doing the valve adjustment and tracking down a buzz in the front fairing I think might be a broken tab from yesterday's knock over in the parking lot. I'll make sure to take lots of pics and maybe a video of the valve adjustment. I've done that many times on older Suzukis and Hondas so I know I can do it.

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi Octarine,

Sorry to hear your new scooter was on it's side.

I was just wondering...Was the scooter on it's side stand or center stand when you left it in the lot Question

Dennis
Back to top Go down
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?   Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Side stand. The parking lot had a bit of an incline. On my goldwing or gs, that wouldn't have been a problem but not so for the sw. Lesson learned, touchup paint ordered.
Back to top Go down

Tools Needed for Maintaining Silverwing?
Page 1 of 1