Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tools for the road

Go down 
+5
Meldrew
GHM-PM
Easyrider
Cosmic_Jumper
"Hi Yo"
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 5:04 pm

I am a big believer in carrying extra tools with me. Besides the basic tool set that came with the SW(Pin wrench and plug wrench). I have a lot of tools at my disposal in my shop area(garage). Any and all hints are welcome. Oh by the way I have a roll bag full of standard now I have to switch to metric HA Ha.

Getting to know my SW up close and personal just changed air filter seller told me not to worry about it OMG that thing was filthy.
Changed plugs. Now going for oil and filter next. Put new rubber on front and rear. Then on to inspecting belt and pulley filter.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 5:15 pm

I carry enough to remove both wheels, make small adjustments, repair/change tires, tire pump, windshield cleaner(Lemon Pledge).

I hate walking, do not like to be stuck----recent trip on James Bay Road/Quebec/some parts of Ontario out of Cell Phone Range---James Bay Road longest stretch in N America with out gas/spare gas required to be carried in can. Note: we did not ride the whole James Bay Road this time----pavement condition really bad-----rode it to Radisson 20 years ago on BMW K-75 when pavement was in good shape. This time turned around after 75 miles of rider and bike taking a beating.

For SilverWing Factory repair manual handy.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 11:22 am

Tools for the road: spare belt (used), variator holder*, 12, 17, 22 3/8 drive sockets, 27 mm deep socket, spare plugs, 1/2" drive T-wrench & 12" pipe extension,  8 mm 1/4" drive socket & extension, 5 mm 1/4" drive allen head socket, 8 & 10 mm combination wrenchs, fuses in old mint tin, spare headlight bulb, phillips head & flat blade screwdrivers, tire plug kit and mini air compressor. 

Because they seem to round out so easily, I've also changed those four 5 mm hex drive button head cap screws on the rear belt case cover to M6 x 1.0 25 mm long flange head bolts. That way all the bolts (except those 3 12 mm bolts) which attach the belt case are the same, and can easily be removed with one tool.

I also carry a Harbor Freight mini volt/ohm meter --but a 12 volt test light probe would probably suffice.

Tim

* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YIVAimvORFI
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm

What do you do when no cell phone service? Tools, even if you cannot or do not use them yourself, nice to have tools the person helping you can use.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Ride a lot and you will gain experience. Getting stuck someplace is pain in butt and can get expensive
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 8:02 am

Cell phone and roadside assistance (I use Good Sam). Plus, basic hand tools an extra belt and tire plug kit. I do not take large sockets as for a longish trip I service everything ahead of time (oil etc.)

Oh and my $9270 MSRP 2012 (didn't pay quite that much) came with a freaking screw driver for the whole tool kit...WTH??  Sad but true.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Tools for the road 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 1:53 pm

GHM-PM wrote:

Oh and my $9270 MSRP 2012 (didn't pay quite that much) came with a freaking screw driver for the whole tool kit...WTH??  Sad but true.

Screwdriver?

It's so you don't have to remove your gloves to push the buttons on your cell phone. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 11:20 pm

I was fortunate cause my 2013 came with the complete tool kit.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 am

Easyrider wrote:
I was fortunate cause my 2013 came with the complete tool kit.

Curious what your complete kit consists of? I got an owners manual, a plastic pouch containing a screwdriver and that is it. Of course it is a Honda and realistically I have probably never needed more even on my trips. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Glen,
It has been a while since I have opened the pouch. I remember a spanner wrench to adjust the rear shocks, combo screw driver with handle, some cheap open end wrenches. Can't remember if there was a 10mm socket.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Here it is:
Tools for the road Image13
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2018 5:14 pm

When I get back home in October, I will take a picture of the included tools.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Thanks guys! After checking the prices, I am definitely not going to look for a full Honda kit LOL. I carry better tools already (and I already had them). My main curiosity is why 2012's did not come with a tool kit but the 13 did? Strange.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2018 7:38 pm

The tool kit supplied with the old East German 2-stroke MZ's were more comprehensive, better quality, and far more useful that the one's supplied with the Silver Wing. MZ even supplied a tyre pump similar in size to the ones stored in the frame on old BMW's.

Because I owned MZ's for over 20 years I still have a few of their open ended spanner and other tools in an old metal Army surplus ammo box
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2018 7:11 am

I still use tools from MZ days---tire irons, pliers, do not know where pmps went.

Think my CB300f came with fuze puller only.
Back to top Go down
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. All good advice. Road side assistance I will check on.
I am an old shop boy from 1964 Still have my original craftsman tool set. Love to wrench on anything that has screw,nut,or bolt.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 3:00 pm

When I first started driving, I used to carry enough tools in the boot of my car to do a roadside engine change and a cylinder head de-coke, along with a wheel bearing change. I never needed them because I took good care of my car. I take the same care with my SW but my biggest spook is a tyre puncture or a belt snap. Tools for a roadside belt change are not too difficult but a puncture would be down to an RAC callout. My concern is the weight of all this stuff. I only realised today that the weight of our (my girlfriend and I) protective clothing equates to a small person being carried along for the ride!

I carry the standard Honda kit under the seat and hope for the best, especially when riding in mainland Europe. Keep your fingers crossed for me affraid
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Tire plug kit and pump to inflate powered from bike. A few common tools 8-10mm sockets, screw driver, hex wrenches and small battery jump starter.

Anything major I'm using my finger, phone for a tow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tools for the road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for the road   Tools for the road I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tools for the road
Page 1 of 1