Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

v belt change

Go down 
+2
masscoot
spike
6 posters
AuthorMessage
spike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-02-12

aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change Empty
PostSubject: v belt change   aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 6:20 am

Should you atomatically change the belt at 16k miles? I ride with a bunch of wingers and they say no you can go much longer. What's your opinion?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: v belt change   aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 8:49 am

You asked for an opinion so your answers will vary, here's mine:

The answer is yes you can go further, but why guess? Measure your belt to see if it is within the service limits then make your decision.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: v belt change   aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 6:24 pm

I agree with Paul. The belt is so important that it isn't worth it, IMO, to gamble on it breaking just to get a couple of thousand more miles. It seems when a bike or car breaks down it is always at a bad time or location. I'm sure they last 30,000 miles if you want to chance it but it's not worth it to me.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: v belt change   aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 7:52 pm

I got over 22,000 on my first belt. A friend of mine had his break at a little less than 2,000 miles over due and he was around 230 miles from home. I just had bigbird put in Dr. Pulley sliders at 33,000 and although it only had 11,000 on the belt, I felt better to go ahead and change it at the same time we had every thing apart. Like JeffR_ said you can take the chance to run longer with it but it's not worth it to me.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: v belt change   aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 10:41 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
I'm sure they last 30,000 miles if you want to chance it but it's not worth it to me.
Mine would probably last 29,950. Break fifty miles from home in the rain. Then you would have to ask what you would pay to be dry and safe at home. More than the price of a new belt, I'll bet.
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: v belt change   aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 6:21 am

I agree with all of you but if you have the capability to measure the wear of the belt and examine it closely for any minute cracking or crazing, it can be used far in excess of the book. Otherwise, the "better be safe than sorry" premise is best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: v belt change   aftermarket  oem belt - v belt change I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

v belt change
Page 1 of 1