Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?

Go down 
+5
honda_silver
NWSSC
JeffR_
Waspie
ulflyer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? Empty
PostSubject: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am

I want to replace the seat lift with a stronger one and it looks like I'll need to remove the plastic cover under the seat in order to get at the lower grommet. Is there any other way?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Are you talking about the strut that supprts the seat when opening?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Waspie: yes, the Strut.....couldnt think of the correct name for it. I ordered one of the struts mentioned previously that you let some air out of depending on how much weight one has on the seat. In looking at the lower end of the existing strut, it doesn't appear that it can be removed unless the plastic cover if taken off first.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Ted,

If you need to remove the plastic cover that basically covers the engine, then I would remove the seat first and then the plastic cover. To remove the seat:

1) Remove the top part of the strut from the seat. ( I think it is a cotter pin and only takes 30 seconds. But keep your hand over it since it may 'fly' away somewhere.)

2) There are 4 bolts at the very front of the seat you need to remove. After these are removed you can remove the seat. This may take 5 mins at most.

3) There are only a few screws/bolts to remove the plastic cover.

Doing this will give you plenty of room to work with and it only takes a few minutes to do this. I did all of this when I installed my Power Commander. I don't know for a fact that you need to remove the plastic to get to the lower part of the strut but if you do, I would do this to get as much room as possible to replace the strut.

You can remove the plastic without removing the seat but then you will have to hold the seat up while you replace the strut and it is just more of a hassle to try to pull the plastic piece out. IMO.
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks JeffR for the info. When I get a warmish day I'll do it; cold out in the shed where I park the SW. Also thinking of raising the butt pad or even making one of my own so I might crank up the kerosene heater one day and take some things apart.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:52 pm

You do not have to replace the strut support unless you want to spend the money.I have made several supports for the strut for friends.
All it takes is a friend with a table saw and piece of wood(1"x2") 4" long cut in half width wise.This gives you 2 devices to work with.On the narrow side you then cut a grove down the middle approximately 5/16 wide.It does not have to be exact,just wide enough to fit over the chrome extended part of the strut. All you do is raise the seat and put the device over the strut and let the weight of the seat hold it.I paint them white and store it in the pocket under the seat with the owners manual.It takes about 5 minutes to make.Take the money you save on the strut and go for a good ride. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks Howard, but I'm already using a stick and it just doesnt suit me. I want the darn thing to stay up by itself like it should.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:09 pm

ulflyer, I believe someone on another site and possibly another scooter, (Burgman - methinks,) actually fitted a more powerful strut as the stock strut was 'feeble.' Just not man enough for the job of keeping the seat open fully.

May be worth investigating.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Waspie: thats the one I ordered from McMasters. Someone on this forum mentioned it and listed the part nr's. Its stronger than it needs to be and you have to let some of the gas out, depending on how much lift you need. Kinda pricy...about $40 with the two tips you have to get to fit the SW. I never did find one to fit my 400 Burgman....ordered a couple and neither fit, or was too strong. Gave up on those and used a stick like Howard mentioned above.

Heres the order details in case anyone else wants one:

1. 6465K12 Reducible-Force Gas Spring, 3.94" Stroke, 90 lbs Max Force, M5 Male Thread Size 1
Each 32.51
2. 6465K25 Nylon Eyelet End Fitting for .59" Cylinder Diameter, Reducible-Force Gas Spring 2
Each 2 @ 1.24
Each 2.48

Merchandise 34.99
Shipping 5.34
Total $40.33

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 7:11 pm

ulflyer wrote:
thats the one I ordered from McMasters. Someone on this forum mentioned it and listed the part nr's. Its stronger than it needs to be and you have to let some of the gas out, depending on how much lift you need.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t814p1-seat-piston-thingy#14744

Do not let too much air out of the strut will not hold the seat.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:53 am

The Corbin seat comes with a much beefier piston. I didn't have to take the plastic off to replace it. I got it done with a needle nose pliers.
Back to top Go down
sailorbuoy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-09-21

PostSubject: Seat strut/damper replace   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2023 10:24 pm

I purchased the new seat strut for my 2005 FSC600, but notice that the brackets look to have a pin with cotter key at one end. The pin does not look to be removable, looks welded at the end opposite from cotter key.
Does anyone have direct experience replacing their seat strut?
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 7:27 am

The pin should be easily removable with a needle nose plier. You have to be really careful not to lose it after removing it. After that, taking off the strut should be very easy. The only thing that I would hope is that the prior owner didn’t apparently solder it in place. That wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense either
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 8:20 am

In my experience the seat strut lower frame attachment removal is not easy at all, possible, yes, but you'll have to bend plastic cover a lot, is awkward to reach and the dropping/loosing hardware down the frame/engine cavity is very possible Shocked

Is best to remove the seat under cover plastic over the engine for easier access, the shop manual is kind of vague in this area, you have to push tab on fuse boxes and slide up, then slide down thru opening on cover, you should also remove, forward upper screw on large L+R side covers, probably threads/info on how to remove that cover, search scratch

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?   How to remove lower grommet on seat lift? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to remove lower grommet on seat lift?
Page 1 of 1