Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stronger seat lift piston thingy.

Go down 
+7
Lost it
Mech 1 twa
Delray
EvilTwin
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
sc00ter
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Stronger seat lift piston thingy. Empty
PostSubject: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 11:29 pm

One of you found a better/stronger seat piston on ebay or someplace. Yes, I did a forum search. Either Im dumb or worded it wrong, but I remember the OP said he had to drill it out a tiny bit to make it work. The Corbin seat is heavier than the stocker, and the stock piston is shot anyways. Oh, and the piston thing is missing completely from the junker Swing. Wife gets super mad when the seat tries to crush her! Any leads appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Key word; Gas Strut. This from an older post:

http://www.sourcingmap.com/20kg-44lb-lift-support-gas-strut-shock-spring-prop-11-p-158286.html
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 5:43 am

Best solution for heavy seat=paint mixing stick.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 9:00 am

I replaced mine with one from amazon, and I did have to drill out one end a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PP32B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stronger seat lift piston thingy. 410MyH-JRwL
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks for the link! Ordering one today! "Gas strut", never thought of that, hence the "thingy".
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 7:36 pm

"The Corbin seat is heavier than the stocker, and the stock piston is shot anyways."

I've had three Corbins and they always provide a gas strut designed for the seat. The seat should have an order # on the underside. You could contact Corbin and order the exact strut designed for the seat.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

http://www.sourcingmap.com/20kg-44lb-lift-support-gas-strut-shock-spring-prop-11-p-158286.html

I have this one with advice from above and it's more than enough.  Had to drill out lower hole a bit for bushing to fit.  2 years and no issues. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 7:52 am

I have a story about that...

Friend of mine, well his wife has a Suzuki Swift and the rear window/tailgate struts were weak, very weak, it kept coming down on her head.

So he went for some more, and thought he'd go for some with a slightly higher spec so that she could simply open the lock and the tailgate would lift on it's own. Looked very "top of the range" when he showed me.

Anyhow, his missus is just over 5' high, she went shopping, the tailgate opened, and she couldn't reach it to close it....
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 12:03 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Love it
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 12:11 am

Be careful if you put on on the seat that's significantly more powerful than the original. At least press the seat down with your hand in the middle of the seat and not on the end. I saw one SW where the seat pan buckled when the new gas strut was too stiff.

It would have been better if Honda had used a telescopic strut with a coil spring instead of the gas cylinder. They always loose their pressure and lift after a fairly short time if you open and close the seat much especially in cold weather when the rubber seals in them are stiff.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 12:17 pm

I purchased the strut that "Evil twin" suggested through Amazon, a good strut, almost "Ejector seat" strength. But does the job brilliantly 😉
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

I have this one with advice from above and it's more than enough.  Had to drill out lower hole a bit for bushing to fit.  2 years and no issues. Smile

I also, this is the one I replaced my OEM unit with in 2016. Still works.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

I just put a replacement strut on my new to me '08. This is the third SW I've owned and the third strut I've replaced on Silverwings. I replaced the rear lift window on my '07 Jeep Liberty as well. Gas struts do leak slowly and only last for a few years in most cases. a strut with a spring would be longer lasting. Seems to me one with a spring ought to cost less for the manufacturer of the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 am

The struts on the rear of my Honda CRV don't seem to work so well in cold weather but they are getting a bit old at 12 years. Many years ago my Triumph estate had struts which were entirely mechanical, they locked when opened and unlocked with a slight upward push, no seals or air pressure involved similar to some I have had on kitchen cabinets.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Be careful on SUV VAN hatch struts if you replace them. Get a helper to hold it up. If the hatch flexes (only supported one side the rear glass could break). Twists and glass shatters. It's not pretty.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 pm

Very good point. I braced up the rear window of my 2007 Jeep Liberty's rear hatch window with two 2x4s when I replaced the two lift struts. On that car I don't let anyone else shut the hatch since the glass hatch is big enough I think it might be possible to break it if someone pushed it shut from one side instead of the pad in the center. That rear hatch looks like it would be mucho dinero if it broke.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Stronger seat lift piston thingy.   Stronger seat lift piston thingy. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2019 12:04 am

I purchased 2 of the "Evil Twin" suggested struts, one for my wifes Swing and one for the Swing I gave away, and have misplaced both of them. No one rides the trike Swing so I just never got around to installing it. I have a weird feeling the seat struts ended up in the metal recycle box. I really need to rummage around the garage one day and look.
Back to top Go down

Stronger seat lift piston thingy.
Page 1 of 1