Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Variator belt

Go down 
+4
MarkB
eddy
toolboxjesse
johnd
8 posters
AuthorMessage
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt Empty
PostSubject: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 am

When I replaced my variator belt it was difficult because I had no idea how to get the belt up and over the front plates and rear clutch.

I remember years ago when I used to work on VW bugs that you could install the belt on the alternator and after placing the belt around as much as the lower pulley as possible, crank over the eng while putting pressure on the belt and it would pop on.

That is what I did to the S/W but I have never seen any pictorials or video on how to do this.

Maybe it would be help full to have this available for riders doing there own work?

Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 10:53 am

You really need to remove the bolt from the front pulley and the outer face. Then you install the belt and slowly tighten the bolt while rotating the engine so as not to pinch the belt, then torque the bolt to specified value. Any shortcuts will only cause you trouble.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 11:14 am

I think when I tried that way I almost damaged the aluminum spleens in the variator cover because it was so tight, but if I ever need to replace the belt again I will try your way. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 11:17 am

Indeed:
More over...
Disassembling the whole front pulley.

Meaning also the slider chamber.

Inspect it all for damages and rubber dust.

And careful cleaning of coarse.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, I learned a painful lesson last weekend. Although I followed JeffR's instructions very carefully the first couple of times I had opened up the variator, when I changed the belt last August I torqued the variator bolt to only 70 ft-lbs. (I didn't want to over-torque it. Duhh!)

So...I just did my first roadside repair on Friday. In the rain. (Almost. I happened to be in front of a medical institution and they let me walk the bike to the entrance walkway by the parking lot, which was partly covered - so I didn't have to try doing it under my waterproof bike cover. Whew!)

The 17mm variator nut had come loose while I was riding on a through-way. It suddenly made a terrible squeeling sound as the outer variator plate was pressed against the aluminium cover. I pulled over to the breakdown lane quickly - not knowing what was going on. Fortunately, a few days after reading a thread on this site about being prepared, I had my torque wrench and variator tool with me - so I was able to open everything up and tighten the nut to 75 ft-lbs. (The bolt was not even finger-tight. I could turn it easily.) After tightening it, I double-checked the torque value again and held it there for a few seconds. It's riding fine now. Lesson learned.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 am

MarkB CeeBailey Headlight Guard. Is that the plastic guard that attaches to the headlight directly? Glued on? If it is, please use extream caution when and if you remove it. I made a huge mistake years ago and bought one form Canada thinking it would save me from ever having to replace $$$$ it hit by a stone.
The problem I had was when installed it, there were many bubbles under it that could not be removed so I decided to pull it off and toss it. When I did, I removed a large piece of the plastic lens with it. I am now scarred for life. Sad
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi, JohnD.

The headlight guard is attached similarly to the Laminar Lip - with 4 velcro-like buttons which are, in fact, glued on to the headlight. This is a thick solid plastic shield - and there is a bit of an air gap from the headlight. I had no trouble removing my (inherited) Laminar Lip by using an edge to separate the velcro halves - so I don't anticipate any trouble removing the headlight guard...but I won't even consider removing it unless it gets damaged.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 pm

If you do, I would try a professional heat gun. Just to be on the safe side. affraid
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 am

Hi any of you guys out there fitted a Gates drive belt I'm already to re assemble but I'm baffled by the markings on the belt , anybody got any idea how the direction of rotation is indicated ?
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 12:31 pm

No rotational markings on the Gates Belt . I have put three Gates belts on my bikes no problems. Just fit.
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks Old Limey as an engineer long retired now I was always taught to fit a belt in the direction of arrows on the belt , or face dire consequences . May be your right I don't dispute what you say but trying to get verification from manufacturers and suppliers is proving to be a slow job . which should not be the case . I will post any answers I get when I get them . Thanks again for such a prompt reply.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 4:45 pm

MadDog wrote:
Thanks Old Limey as an engineer long retired now I was always taught to fit a belt in the direction of arrows on the belt , or face dire consequences . May be your right I don't dispute what you say but trying to get verification from manufacturers and suppliers is proving to be a slow job . which should not be the case . I will post any answers I get when I get them . Thanks again for such a prompt reply.

Hi Mad Dog, Install that belt so that the printing on the belt is right side up, If you have to remove the belt later this will insure you re-install it correctly and do not reverse direction of travel.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 5:44 pm

Wait!!!.......You mean I can't flip the belt over to get another 16,000 miles???
affraid alien beamed up

I'll be back, I got a belt to change................ Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Sidewinder Pilot wrote:
Wait!!!.......You mean I can't flip the belt over to get another 16,000 miles???
affraid alien beamed up

I'll be back, I got a belt to change................ Rolling Eyes

No, Since you are turning the belt only 1/2 over you will only get 8,000 more.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 7:33 pm

So.....If we could develop a Mobius Belt we would never have to change it? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Variator belt   aftermarket  oem belt - Variator belt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Variator belt
Page 1 of 1