Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance   Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Well, I figured I couldn't put it off any longer, so I dug out the service manual and did some basic stuff on the SWing.

Changed the air filter out. That required removal of the rear plate and right body panel. It was easy. I left the body panel off for better view of the oil drain plug and then did an oil and filter. That also went well...filled it up with Rotella T6, buttoned up the body panels and then started it up to watch for leaks and check oil level. Topped it off, noticed some small leaks, so got underneath and saw that there is a sort of bash plate next to the drain plug which had a puddle of oil on it from when the old oil was drained. Cleaned that out, watched a bit more, saw no more leaks, took the bike around the block. Ran fine...I think it's a bit quieter and smoother with the T6...got back, put it back on the center stand and noticed another little minor drip...found it coming around the oil filter, which I had hand-tightened, as I was taught many years ago. I surmised that on the run around the block, things heated up a bit and expanded. I'll wait for things to cool down, then get back down there and retighten it hand tight...

All in all, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I'm still not trying the valve clearance check, but not so bad to work on for the basics...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance   Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 6:43 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance   Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Plugs, rear drive lube check. Don't know how tough brake fluid change is...will consult manual...I think the PO changed coolant last year, so probably not due yet.

Incidentally, thanks for providing me the boot in the a$$ I needed... Shocked I'm really not convinced that the local Honda dealer (of which there is only ONE!!!) knows much about SWings...I think they sell maybe one or so a year...rarely see one in there. I think a guy or gal who decided to specialize in servicing "scooters" could make a bit of money around here...I'm surely not the only one who has told the dealer to pound sand. I'm not really anti-dealer...just not convinced they know what they're doing.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance   Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 4:35 am

Well done Jinglebob. That first leap of faith is all that's needed to get that confidence in ones own abilities.

I'm off for a tinker myself after GP qualifying, got an irritating squeak from around the handle bars! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance   Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Bob,

There are Pictorials in that section that may help you to do it quicker. Most things are pretty simple though.
Back to top Go down

Finally got motivated and did some basic maintenance
Page 1 of 1