Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Driving lights mounted on forks?

Go down 
+4
bikerboy
Daboo
dspevack
craigory
8 posters
AuthorMessage
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

Driving lights mounted on forks? Empty
PostSubject: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi All. I keep dreaming of having driving lights that point where I'm turning so that I can see better around turns. It appears that the only way to do this would be to mount them on the lower part of the forks. Has anyone done this? Would it shake them to pieces? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 am

Here Ya Go.
http://www.motolight.com/
Check my album linked in my sig below and you will see them on my Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 pm

When you go around a corner...do you turn...or lean?

Chris
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Dan,
Thanks for the great information! Very helpful! BTW, I am inspired by several of the mods you did - especially the cruiseboards.

Chris,
You very tactfully made a good point, and one I should have thought about. I was thinking car instead of motorcycle. :$ A car "turns", but a motorcycle "leans". The front forks will basically face into the outside of the turn doing me no good at all. Alas, the end of my dream. I will just base my mounting choices on getting the best projection down the road, and having the most noticable visibility by other drivers. Thanks!

Best to both,
Craig
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 pm

You could always buy a BMW K1600GT, the hi-tech headlamp turns with the forks and remains horizontal as the bike leans. It will cost you however, about £18,000 over here in the UK ! They are also bringing out a maxi-scoot with rear view cameras instead of mirrors (no doubt also at a price !!)
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks for the thought BB. I'll talk with my wife about putting it in our budget. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Craig, I understand totally where you are coming from. I ride year around here in the Seattle area. That means I'm riding in rain quite often and commuting in the dark. While the freeways are fairly well lit, there are stretches that are totally black. There is something about the pavement that when it gets wet, just totally sucks up the light that hits it. Sad

So for the past several years, I've been looking at every available way to add lights to my scooter. There's pluses and minuses of adding light in each location. Cost has been a factor too.

I tried HIDs for awhile, but I noticed two things about them. One is that unless you use projector lenses with them, you will produce a lot of glare to oncoming drivers. Two, the car HID lights do put out a lot of light on the road. But the net effect of that can be the illusion of seeing better. They put a lot of light out on the road immediately in front of you, closing your iris (or is it pupil?) down...and make the area just past the light beam pattern more dark than it would seem with a normal halogen light. Or at least that's my theory. Laughing

If you keep looking, you will stumble upon something that will work for you.

For what you're looking for, a fog light mounted low might do the trick. The cutoff to the beam pattern is pretty sharp and they put out a light pattern that is wide...which would light up your turn.

Chris
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:09 pm

You are right on target Chris. I also commute year-around here in the SF bay area, which also means dark and rain during a few months of the year. The effect you described for fog lights sounds the best to me. More side lighting, but not blinding oncoming drivers. Did you go with this approach? What kind of lights did you use? What kind and how many watts for the bulbs? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 3:25 pm

Have you guys considered a helmet mounted light? Mountain bikers that ride at night have two solutions - handlebar or helmet. I have both, and prefer the helmet light because you can see around corners by turning your head. The lights are battery operated and fairly bright, but nowhere near the brightness of the Swing headlight. But, it would be better than no light at all.

Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:59 am

I also like lights.

I first replaced my head lights with H-7 intense white Piaa bulbs. Easy to do from underneath and made a BIG difference at night.

Next I had made a light bar like the ones sold by Denis here on the forum. (word of advice) just buy it from him, you will save time and money and on the bar and installed from JC Whitney item # H5788183 round projector lens fog light set for about $65.00 that have a carbon-fiber housing and electron blue lens. (word of caution) My shop charged me $180.00 for the electrical work and I brought back once because of problems installing them onto my headlight modulator (www.highgearhobbies.com that really catches the attention of all drivers.

Then I installed on the forks from www.martinfabrication@yahoo.com light mounts for Piaa 1100x I think I paid about $40.00 and on the mounts installed OBX Turismo fog/spot lamps. Those were $80.00 and $80.00 labor.

Then so you could see me from the side I installed wheel strips (reflective white strips ) that are easy to apply and go on the front and rear wheels.

From Graphic language.com

Will some one please stop me. Ha ha
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi John,
Stop you? I'll probably encourage you! Laughing

Where did you get the OBX Turismo lights? Thanks!

P.S. I think the URL is supposed to be "www.martinfabrication.com" (without the "@yahoo").
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi John,
I was just looking at the Martin Fabrication website, and I'm a little confused. You said you purchased "light mounts for Piaa 1100x I think I paid about $40.00". I don't see any separate light mounts available on their site - only the full kit with the lights. The H3 kit costs $134.95, and the HID kit costs $349.00. Can you please direct me to where the light mounts are described and priced?

Also still my question from my last post - where did you get the OBX Turismo lights? Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 pm

bigbird wrote:

Either you have small hands and fingers, or there's a trick you need to share. I tried to change my bulbs recently, but gave up. My hands/fingers just did not have enough room, and it seemed like it would be a "blind" job to attach the hold down tabs on the bulbs. Add to the fact that I also have a modulator module and 2 harnesses in there and it's a real bird's nest. Any tips?

When you replace your headlight bulb pay attention to the notch in the upper left of the bulb hole in the reflector when you release the tension from the spring clip. This notch is a window to the catch that the clip rests in. When you install the new bulb it will make latching the spring clip a tad easier.
Driving lights mounted on forks? Picture
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving lights mounted on forks?   Driving lights mounted on forks? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving lights mounted on forks?
Page 1 of 1