Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Driving Lights Not Working

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2017-11-16

Driving Lights Not Working Empty
PostSubject: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 11:52 am

Good Day Folks.

Here's my story (and I sure wish I could have a do-over).  For a yet unknown reason (momentary inattention perhaps), in making a sharp left hand turn I went hard over a curb and ended upright on a some poor soul's front yard grass.  After letting my embarrassment subside and composing myself, I slowly removed my scooter from the stranger's property, quickly checked to see if all systems were still go and headed back home.

At home, I checked my S-Wing more carefully and discovered only the left driving light worked (the driving lights, which I rarely use, are mounted on the forks by the reflectors) and it was hesitant to light.  The LED blue light on the associated rocker switch did not illuminate either.  I checked in the glovebox behind the rocker switch and discovered that the ground wire was not attached (damn curb!).  I reattached it but that didn't fix the problem - neither the driving lights nor blue LED light worked.

I've replaced the rocker switch and the connector on the load wire (it looked black) to no avail.  When I attach the ground and power wires to the rocker switch, the Blue LED will light when pressed on but will not light when I also attach the load wire.

This is one of those times I wished I'd taken an electrical course in school.  Unless I can access a Youtube video with precise step by step instructions, I'm pretty much a lost cause with all things electrical - and other things as well, (he sheepishly admits). I have looked at the schematic diagram for the Basic Light Hookup with Lighted Switch but, again, my level of understanding is limited.

As you may have already guessed, I don't think I'll be able to fix this myself - although all helpful tips would be gratefully received.  Do you think any garage would have the expertise to tackle this?  Or do I need to visit a motorcycle shop?  Or a Honda shop specifically?

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 pm

I never add any electrical stuff----figuring stock works---added lights and you can not figure out yourself, bike shop may be best bet.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 2:30 pm

Nooner, I too am stymied by most electrikery challenges.  However, I know enough to start with the basics.  Blown fuse, loose wires ... especially the ground wire, and perhaps a loose or damaged bulb.  You can also bypass the switch and see if you can't get the light fixture to light up.  I'm thinking because you "jarred" your scooter, something "jarred" loose and it could be as simple as repositioning that part.

If any of the above do not rectify the problem, then I go to the Beer Store.  Oh ... not for me.  For my B-I-L who is something of a 12v transportation systems expert.  He enjoys a good beer and that's usually the price of admission to have him take a peek at my 12v stuff and related issues.

For the record, I believe in setting up your ride with accessories, electrical and otherwise, that suit your riding needs and pleasure.  Good Luck ... keep us informed.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 3:57 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I never add any electrical stuff----figuring stock works---added lights and you can not figure out yourself, bike shop may be best bet.
Thanks for the suggestion, John. I am leaning bike shop over auto garage.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 4:07 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
Nooner, I too am stymied by most electrikery challenges.  However, I know enough to start with the basics.  Blown fuse, loose wires ... especially the ground wire, and perhaps a loose or damaged bulb.  You can also bypass the switch and see if you can't get the light fixture to light up.  I'm thinking because you "jarred" your scooter, something "jarred" loose and it could be as simple as repositioning that part.

If any of the above do not rectify the problem, then I go to the Beer Store.  Oh ... not for me.  For my B-I-L who is something of a 12v transportation systems expert.  He enjoys a good beer and that's usually the price of admission to have him take a peek at my 12v stuff and related issues.

For the record, I believe in setting up your ride with accessories, electrical and otherwise, that suit your riding needs and pleasure.  Good Luck ... keep us informed.

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement, sonuvabug.  I may have to man-up and take off some of the tupperware to fully investigate and hope the cause of the problem just jumps out at me.

Your B-I-L sounds like a keeper.  Does he get out to the eastern part of our province, every once in a while?  It's especially beautiful this time of year. Smile
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm

nooner wrote:
... snipped ... Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement, sonuvabug.  I may have to man-up and take off some of the tupperware to fully investigate and hope the cause of the problem just jumps out at me.

Your B-I-L sounds like a keeper.  Does he get out to the eastern part of our province, every once in a while?  It's especially beautiful this time of year. Smile

Nooner, you can likely live without the one aux light for the next few weeks until our "too short" riding season ends. At that time, I do encourage you to dive into it ... assuming you have somewhere to do so out of the freezing cold.

Like many things, this electrickery stuff is learnable and I find the more I work on my own SWing, the more I learn, the easier it gets and the more money I save. It's a little scary at first but once you do things a few times, the fear factor really does fade.

My B-I-L doesn't get out much (he's really a home body) but we love riding in your neck of the woods. We usually head to a friend's cottage abutting Frontenanc Prov. Park and pass right near you. Sometimes we take Hwy#7, other times, the back roads. We also camp at Bon Echo so we are generally familiar with your area.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 5:17 pm

sonuvabug wrote:

Nooner, you can likely live without the one aux light for the next few weeks until our "too short" riding season ends.  At that time, I do encourage you to dive into it ... assuming you have somewhere to do so out of the freezing cold.  

Like many things, this electrickery stuff is learnable and I find the more I  work on my own SWing, the more I learn, the easier it gets and the more money I save.  It's a little scary at first but once you do things a few times, the fear factor really does fade.  

My B-I-L doesn't get out much (he's really a home body) but we love riding in your neck of the woods.  We usually head to a friend's cottage abutting  Frontenanc Prov. Park and pass right near you.  Sometimes we take Hwy#7, other times, the back roads.   We also camp at Bon Echo so we are generally familiar with your area.

Thanks again, sonuvabug.  I've only done a few minor maintenance chores (oil and filter change and air filter change) in my two years of ownership.  I now own a service manual and hope to subdue my fear in order to attempt more involved maintenance items.  I'll also need to work on upping my patience level so I can remain calm when experiencing difficulty.  You're right - the more I do, the more competent I should become.

Glad you've enjoyed your excursions out this way.  It's ruggedly beautiful and especially satisfying for those who like to kick around in the outdoors.
Back to top Go down
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 4:51 pm

I think someone mentioned this. You might have jarred something inside the light fixture that is causing it to ground out. If you can remove it and take a look inside. My two cents worth.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 4:37 pm

I hate it when somebody butcher's an already decent product. And even more when they do a arseaboutface job of it as well, And even more when you buy it from them and inherit all their mistakes and have to put it right.

My advice, tear it off and enjoy the Swing for what it is. Just like the human body people ruin it with drugs, tat ter roos , piercings and plastic surgery spesh those rubber lipped airbag women, what a freakin mess lol

Now ride the swing.....................yahoo!
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 am

Lugwrench wrote:
I think someone mentioned this. You might have jarred something inside the light fixture that is causing it to ground out. If you can remove it and take a look inside. My two cents worth.
Thanks for your suggestion, Lugwrench. I've unscrewed one of the driving lights and I'm trying to remove the light through the back of it. I haven't been able to remove it so far so I'm thinking it might be a sealed unit. The weather is going to be warmer this week so I'll give it another go. I think I may have to eventually muster some courage and start removing some of the tupperware.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 8:24 am

cello33 wrote:
I hate it when somebody butcher's an already decent product. And even more when they do a arseaboutface job of it as well, And even more when you buy it from them and inherit all their mistakes and have to put it right.

My advice, tear it off and enjoy the Swing for what it is. Just like the human body people ruin it with drugs, tat ter roos , piercings and plastic surgery spesh those rubber lipped airbag women, what a freakin mess lol

Now ride the swing.....................yahoo!
Thanks, cello33. If I could have a do-over, I would definitely miss jumping the curb and still have my driving lights working. I am hoping that I am somehow able to correct what has gone wrong without too much hair pulling. If I'm unsuccessful, I will most likely remove them. In either case, I do plan to keep enjoying the Swing. I will wait for warmer weather before removing the tupperware, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving Lights Not Working   Driving Lights Not Working I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving Lights Not Working
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing-
Jump to: