Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Belt Change - simplified facts...

Go down 
+2
AAAA
Moonman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Moonman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Moonman

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-04-23

aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... Empty
PostSubject: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 pm

I have gleaned all info from this most helpful site, however, with all the variables I need someone to verify my findings. (Thanks to y'all for all the info). Smile
I plan to carry a spare belt, steel variator spanner, dry lube, etc as a roadside belt change for me is easier (and quicker) than calling up roadside assist, getting transported home etc.
My 600D has not been "got at" so I assume it has a standard Honda variator (not J. Costa or Malossi).
I believe that I need to buy a Honda belt (which is probably made by Mitsuboshi) and I was going to buy some Dr Pulley sliders (to replace at the same time). I also understand that "pins" are only used on the Costa pulley, so I don't need them.
I plan to change belt and sliders at the 16,000 time but will carry the spares just in case. bom
This should be a breeze job compared to my B650 CVT dramas (now on-sold)...
Another question, is there any reason why dry lube should not be placed on the splined shaft, prior to replacing the variator outer half?
Thanks in anticipation. rabbit
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Generally, centrifugical force, lubes, and belts don't play well together. Ive never had an issue with removing a driven face before, so its your call.

On another note.
If that's you in the avatar, that's a serious "stache" man! That's badass!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Moonman wrote:
I plan to carry a spare belt, steel variator spanner, dry lube, etc as a roadside belt change for me is easier (and quicker) than calling up roadside assist, getting transported home etc.
To loosen the variator nut you may need either
1) 12v DC or portable impact wrench
2) The Honda tool is small an portable, but the pins are shallow which seem to require a third hand. Honda has a different part number that I found in the Service Manual and ordered. It basically a metal plate with long bolts and a hole drilled out of the middle to access to variator nut ... the metal plate is screwed into the screw holes from the aluminum housing that was removed to access the variator nut.

You may need some leverage to brake the variator nut loose and to apply enough torque for tightening.

Moonman wrote:
I plan to change belt and sliders at the 16,000 time but will carry the spares just in case.
Some people keep their old belt as a spare.

With only 16,000 miles on your original OEM rollers ... they should be find to maintain as spares. But if you really like the Dr Pulley sliders you could order another set .... I have both Razz
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 8:04 pm

I think we need a bit more info. What year is your 600D and how many miles on the clock? From your other posts you indicated this is a commuter bike for you. Like bigbird I would just change the belt and sliders and call it a day especially if you are at the 16k service point. A 16k belt makes a good spare as do rollers.

If you did want to carry a spare and the tools to install it, my 2¢ would be using a click torque wrench in place of the breakerbar they are about the same size and weight. Bill makes a good point about being able to torque back to spec. This one tool would do all three jobs. The holder is essential. Lube is just too big to carry on board, I wish they made smaller cans.
Back to top Go down
Moonman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Moonman

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks guys.
So I need to buy a new belt and the good doctor's sliders, and don't lubricate the shaft.
Now, wheres's the best place in the US of A to purchase?
I will obviously not be purchasing them here in Melbourne...
Thanks for yr input.
Moonman
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:37 am

Moonman wrote:
So I need to buy a new belt and the good doctor's sliders, and don't lubricate the shaft.
Now, wheres's the best place in the US of A to purchase?

Dr Pulley sliders are available from Australia-----Scooter Doctor Pty Ltd.,www.performancecvt.com.au

Is there a reason why you want to buy in the USA??
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Other than reaching 16,000 mi, is there any ride indication of possible need to change the belt and rollers earlier? (other than drifting to the side of the road).
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 pm

tubeck wrote:
Other than reaching 16,000 mi, is there any ride indication of possible need to change the belt and rollers earlier?

Nothing. I have 37,000 miles on my belt, which I will change when the weather is cooler.

I have only heard of one belt snapping less then 16,000 miles ... as I recall it was with a J Costa Variator.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: the homebrew variator holder or the Honda variator holder.    aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:12 pm

homebrew variator holder or the Honda variator holder. How do I make the variator holder. Pleeease
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt Change - simplified facts...   aftermarket  oem belt - Belt Change - simplified facts... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt Change - simplified facts...
Page 1 of 1