Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing

Go down 
+2
jdeereanton
honda_silver
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing Empty
PostSubject: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 4:00 pm

swing

{This post is only for people that live in The United States) If you want really cheap front brake pads for your Silver Wing don't go to the stealership go to Bike Bandit and buy the Gold Fren 178 as they are the only online retailer that always has them in stock. The Gold Fren 178 is actually I mm shorter than the OEM brake pads but it makes no difference they still work just fine. Once you start using the really cheap Gold Fren pads replace them every 3500 miles as the will greatly extend the life of your rotor. If the rotor has to be replaced it costs about $150! Gold Fren 048 brake pads will fir on the front of both the Yamaha Majesty and T-Max but Gold Fren 048 brake pads are not sold online in The United States at this time.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Pete H wrote:
Once you start using the really cheap Gold Fren pads replace them every 3500 miles as the will greatly extend the life of your rotor. If the rotor has to be replaced it costs about $150!

Every 3500 miles Shocked ... I would have had to use 8-9 as opposed to one OEM.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Brake Pads   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Are you saying that you can go 28,000 miles with out putting on new brake pads? Brake Pads rot even if your Silver Wing sits in the garage for 12 months. I guess it all depends on your driving situation. You live in Texas where its hot. If you drive every day in June July and August then on Sept 1st you should go ahead and put on a new set of brake pads on the front. I recommend Gold Fren 178 pads and I recomment that you change them often.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Pete H wrote:
Are you saying that you can go 28,000 miles with out putting on new brake pads? Brake Pads rot even if your Silver Wing sits in the garage for 12 months. I guess it all depends on your driving situation. You live in Texas where its hot. If you drive every day in June July and August then on Sept 1st you should go ahead and put on a new set of brake pads on the front. I recommend Gold Fren 178 pads and I recomment that you change them often.

I still have my original OEM brake ... my brake pad have not rotted in 25 months.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 5:43 am

I've never heard of brake pads rotting. I've never seen evidence of brake pads rotting.

New OEM pads for Honda SilverWing from Service Honda:
FSC600A - $32.93 (List - $38.09)
FSC600D - $33.58 (List - $38.84)

New OEM Front Disc Rotor for Honda SilverWing from Service Honda:
FSC600A - $125.57 (List - $171.65)
FSC600D - $125.39 (List - $157.13)

FSC600A = With ABS

My SWing (2005) has over 18,000 miles on it and the original pads still have over 1/2 of their service life left on them.

Having worked in automotive service in the past, my experience with other than OEM parts has led me to conclude that brake parts are not the area to go budget shopping.

Last edited by jdeereanton on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct a spelling error)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:19 am

2004 with 12000 miles, brakes still good. Tires, brake lines, hoses, gaskets, yes I can see the point, brake pads rotting, never seen, heard, or even thought about it.
Back to top Go down
forgitaboutut
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:31 pm

OEM are good!
they have better,but cost twice as much, and don't ware the rotor as much...not worth the price to me....
My Goldwing pads lasted 40,000 miles (2up & hauling a trailer at times!) but that was really pushing it!
I would suspect that the pads are very simular on the SW, and I'm guessing about 35,000...
as for pad rot...havn't seen any,and I have had bikes that sit alot,and only get ridden about 2,000 miles a year!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:09 am

I have 21,000 miles on my SWing now and they are need to get replaced soon, so I'm probably at the upper limits of my brakes. But the mechanic asked if I was using my front brakes too much, since he said my rear brakes are in great shape. But with the engine braking on the SWing it helps let the brakes last longer. The Reflex and Majesty I had didn't have near the engine braking the SWing has
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: pads   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:42 am

hi all i ride in london all the time short start and city scootering, i just changed the back as nearly worn out and the front was ok but i changed them anyway, 50 uk pounds all in with wheels out so not to bad ,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:47 am

swing Hi everybody my posts were intended for people that live in the good old USA as I have no idea what brake pads cost over there it is good if you can replace your brake pads often.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:24 pm

swing If your front brake pads are over 2 years old then the pads are probably hard in some places and soft in others. Over another 5 year period on those same brake pads the pads will wear down the front rotor unevenly and this will eventually destroy your front rotor. To mitigate this problem the Yamaha T-Max has 2 rotors on the front wheel.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 10:53 pm

I'm sorry folks... I just don't get it. Why would anyone push Gold Fren brake pads that need to be replaced every 3500 miles??? I know I'm not an experienced cyclist but I've been around enough vehicle maintenance to know that any good OEM brake pad on any motor vehicle is going to last longer than that. Really, I'm sorry... seems like someone's a brake pad salesman to me.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:26 pm

DickO wrote:
I'm sorry folks... I just don't get it. Why would anyone push Gold Fren brake pads that need to be replaced every 3500 miles??? I know I'm not an experienced cyclist but I've been around enough vehicle maintenance to know that any good OEM brake pad on any motor vehicle is going to last longer than that. Really, I'm sorry... seems like someone's a brake pad salesman to me.

I would have to replace every three months which would be unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 6:55 am

I'm with you Dicko, you just beat me to it!

Is Texas heat different to WA Heat.... ????????
Never heard of pad rot from here in down under either... Pete if your not selling them, then someones selling you a top spin story.
I better stop here or some moderator might put the brakes on my thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing   Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inexpensive Front brake pads for Honda Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1