Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Source of buzzing from exhaust

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Source of buzzing from exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 8:48 pm

Greetings everyone! Since I've bought my Silverwing, I've been bothered by several different sources of plastic/buzzing noises. This particular buzz is one that you're not really sure it's there, but you 'think' you hear it. It's best to take a listen while the scooter is on the center stand, running, and not hot yet (so you can poke around on the exhaust). I heard the buzzing, and discovered that the plastic/chrome decorative piece around the exhaust tip was the source of the noise. So I'm thinking perhaps the allen head bolts are loose. It turns out two of them were. You see, the 4 on the long sides of the oval are the only ones that actually bolt this piece to the exhaust, the top and bottom ones are only decorative. Those are the two that were loose. The problem is, you can't tighten them because they've got nuts on the back of them. Okay, fine. I removed the other four bolts, and commenced to tightening, only to discover that for some reason, on my scooter anyway, they were as tight as they would go, but were still loose. Perhaps something is missing from mine, I don't know. I added a thick washer to both of them, used some loctite, and locked them down. Voila, no more loose bolts rattling against the plastic! (That plastic really amplifies the sound.) I also went ahead and used loctite on the remaining four bolts just for good measure. Anyway, the buzz is gone now. Maybe this is common sense for everyone, maybe nobody else has this problem, but I thought I'd pass it along in case anybody is hearing a buzz from the exhaust side of the scooter, it might be worth a look.

Source of buzzing from exhaust 5907084752_bbdb53e87a_z
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Perhaps they are loose to allow for thermal expansion?
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

PostSubject: Re: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Oh Lord, I hope not! I'll find out soon enough! Laughing

Admittedly, one of them had some resistance when tightened. The other one was still just flopping around in the hole with no tension at all. That's the one that was causing the buzz.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Excellent! I checked mine and it was one of the causes of rattling that i i am on a quest to fix.

My huge rattle right now is the right mirror. Even with earplugs in, it buzzes very loudly in the plastic housing.So i found a flat rubber plug and drilled a hole underneath the plastic housing, filling it with Styrofoam packing peanuts till it pushes the mirror against the rim enough to stop the loud rattling, but not enough to warp the image, used the rubber plug and voila! more quiet!
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

PostSubject: Re: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Sounds good, Tagg. I'm glad I managed to help at least one person out. Man, I hate the plastic buzzing/squeaking/rattling sounds. I'm pretty well buzz-free at the moment, though. Smile

Well the scooter is, anyway. drunken
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Well you helped me out! BTW i spent all my life in Tulsa til i was 25. When i left, riverparks, and riverside drive ended at 61st!
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 am

Lab Rat, thank you for the great post. Mine were loose also. J.R.
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

PostSubject: Re: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 pm

J.R.- glad to help! By the way, my sister-in-law used to live in Watertown. Been there several times! Nice little town, Minnesota is really nice.

Tagg- I was born in Tulsa, but we moved when I was 6. I came "home" on Jan. 1, 1984 to go to Spartan School of Aeronautics, then got a job at American Airlines. Tulsa has changed a lot in 27 years!

Small world...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Source of buzzing from exhaust   Source of buzzing from exhaust I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Source of buzzing from exhaust
Page 1 of 1